Nebula awards - Fel can get his books published at Baen

Malcolm
Novice

Nebula awards - Fel can get his books published at Baen

Post by Malcolm »

I was talking to Eric Flint and David Weber this afternoon at the nebula awards, and I mentioned Fel and his books that he has made available online. I was wondering about the Baen Free Library and if he could put some books in there, but Eric Flint said that he didn't accept books that had not been published because otherwise he would be drowned in sumissions - and that most of them would be awful. He did say that Fel could submit a copy of his manuscript and have it published at Baen... if it was good enough ... I think it is ... as long as Fel has the rights to the story.

Good Luck Fel - Go for it

Malcolm
ohtochooseaname
Talent

Re: Nebula awards - Fel can get his books published at Baen

Post by ohtochooseaname »

You know...if Fel published Honor and Blood, he'd have a pretty good shot at beating out Clarissa as the longest novel ever written in the English language!
"Few are they who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts." ~Albert Einstein.
Edengrave
Sorcerer

Post by Edengrave »

Malcolm wrote: He did say that Fel could submit a copy of his manuscript and have it published at Baen... if it was good enough .
lol IF IT WAS Goof enough? lol :shock:
This is the best fantasy book I have ever read bar none. and probably the longuest to boot. I think its significant when you consider the thousands of bucks I have spent on fantasy litterature over the years. As far as I am concerned, it's Fel who should worry If the Editor was good enough
Because handling this kind of product to an Editor, its like giving them the winning lottery ticket. Heck they should probably pay him just to take his books out of the net because honestly, if the best litterature is free, what the heck are they selling us?

If it was good enough indeed. lol I wish there were 50 books half as good out there.
:wink:
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

There are still errors to be corrected: see Sennadar Central Error List and attachement below (and not all errors are entered). Some are simple editor errors (like repeated fragment of chapter), some are simple to correct (e.g. Saraya husband name), but some are harder (e.g. inconsistencies in Elementals intelligence and summoning)...
Attachments
Felbook Errors.txt
FelBooks Errors by Mark Reed, being entered at Sennadar Wiki at Sennadar/Error_List
(101.45 KiB) Downloaded 694 times
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
MISER
Katzh-dashi

Post by MISER »

Maybe it is just me!

But isn't that what editors are for?
IF ITS IN ALL CAPS "DEAL WITH IT!"
Have a good day or night or something.
Purrs and Growlls to you all !!!!!
John
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

MISER wrote:But isn't that what editors are for?
But for example the issue of Elementals intelligence isn't thing that editor can resolve; it is to be corrected (make consistent through the story) by author.

On the other hand I wonder how many such inconsistiencies are present in "dead tree" books/series, but we haven't noticed...
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
Wildcat
Katzh-dashi

Post by Wildcat »

Quite a few, if you bother following any Harry Potter sites. I think it's more likely with longer stories and series work, because there are SO many details to keep track of. At least with the people here as picky as they are, Fel has a good chance of getting all or nearly all of them corrected before the books see print.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
Blacktiger
Da'Shar

Post by Blacktiger »

I second that!

All hail to the Fel, baby!
GloriousShamash
Initiate

Post by GloriousShamash »

I like Baen books because it's writer-centered, not one of those massive multi-nationals.
Wildcat
Katzh-dashi

Post by Wildcat »

I reread the books over the summer and compiled my own error list; doubtless most of them have already been found, but I should check the wiki to see if any are missing.

Fel, I know you've posted about your prior experience with the publishing industry, but what's the harm in sending one mss off to Baen? At worst they'll send you a letter saying they can't publish it. We'll all still love your stuff and talk about it to other fantasy enthusiasts. Not trying to be pushy, and I know this hits a sore spot, but I would dearly love to see you in print.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
Starstryker
Sorcerer

Post by Starstryker »

....yes, would be handy to read your stuff without my computer....or lots of printer paper....

Starstryker
"Do Not Meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are Crunchy and taste good with Ketchup"

"Don't take life too seriously, nobody gets out of it alive anyway"

Bumper stickers to live by ^