Question about Spyder

Addicted
Novice

Question about Spyder

Post by Addicted »

How did Spyder survive the breaking?  I seem to recall Tarrin getting a memory from the Weave where someone was saying something about all the sui'kun's hearts bursting.  So why did Spyder not die along with all the other sui'kuns?

I did try to find the answer to this but it seems like it hasn't been asked before.  I'm really sorry if it has.
Duty is Honour, and the price of Honour is Blood.
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Re: Question about Spyder

Post by J-Man5 »

It seems to me that she is somewhat outside of the "normal"
scope of things on Sennadar.  She has some powers "loaned" by the elder gods in order to protect the gateway.  Possibly she was busy with gateway issues when the breaking occured?  Or she is somehow outside of time.  Or the influence of the gateway and astral plane gave her strength to live?  

Any other ideas?

J-Man5
Wildcat
Katzh-dashi

Post by Wildcat »

She could've been inside her house, too. That sheild was pretty strong (don't remember exactly how it worked, though. Must look up). And I'd think the gods would protect her (especially Niami) because she's working for them.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
locolobo1999
Novice

Post by locolobo1999 »

If I recall correctly she was in the magical void with the shakar that were fleeing the breaking when one of them had a vision of the Breaking before they landed on the island of Shakari
Death is lighter than a feather and duty is heavier than a mountian.
rick
Sorcerer

Post by rick »

It might also be in part that Spyder like Tarrin and his Daughter  are not a part of the web like the other Sorrciers are .Of Corse when fel replys we may learn it a combanation of all these things  or something none of us thought of
My mind is a terrable thing to leave empty, It comes up with weird things to fill the empty places.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

It could easily be explained enough that with no weavespinners left, it could have completely killed off magic.  Spyder was spared because she was the oldest and knew the most, and all the Gods wanted to keep magic around. My idea.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
negativecow
Initiate

Post by negativecow »

locolobo1999 wrote:If I recall correctly she was in the magical void with the shakar that were fleeing the breaking when one of them had a vision of the Breaking before they landed on the island of Shakari
i seem to remeber that to
pets: just in case we run out of food
Mark_Reed
Katzh-dashi

Post by Mark_Reed »

If I recall correctly she was in the magical void with the shakar that were fleeing the breaking when one of them had a vision of the Breaking before they landed on the island of Shakari
Okay, I really shouldn't say anything without double checking with the story, but I don't have the time to look it up, so I'll risk being wrong.

As I recall, the Shakar were outside the barrier, trying to get in. Several of them tried, but died in the effort. Finally, Spyder came forward and opened it up. Everyone went through, but when they looked for their mysterious saviour upon reaching the other side, nobody could find her. Some Shakar began to speculate that the ward killed Spyder after all, as a kind of price for breeching it.

I don't think Spyder ever crossed the barrier. She probably just opened it and left.

My guess towards the "how did Spyder live" question echoes rick's answer. Spyder exists outside the normal bounds, just as Tarrin, his daughter, and Faalkan(?) do. Her connection to the weave may be unique or metaphorically different. Didn't Fel say in one of his chapters that a lot of stuff dealing with gods involves metaphor? Perhaps your relationship with the weave is partly metaphoric, since sorceres are all indirectly linked to Niami.

To further the 'Spyder is different' idea, think about this. Each Sui'kun (well, 7 of them anyway) is linked to, or a living symbol of, a different aspect of the weave's magic. Tarrin was told that his birth represented the resurfacing of high order magic. Everyone could use stronger spells again. Fel never mentions it, but doesn't it stand to reason that *Spyder's* 'symbol' of the weave's power is the weave's existance among mortals in the first place? Or something along that line that allows people to connect *to* the weave? Perhaps she didn't die because she was linked to such a vital part of the weave that the weave used some of it's power to save her, even while being ripped to pieces by the stresses of so much magic.

Just some food for thought.
rick
Sorcerer

Post by rick »

don`t qoate me on this because I`m not sure but wasn`t Spyder Nimi`s first Sui`kun. If So she may respersent  Sorcery itself. Also do you think that "Faalkan" was and avatar or perhaphps the knightly version of a saint ( though st.Faalkan is a scarry thought....LOL)
My mind is a terrable thing to leave empty, It comes up with weird things to fill the empty places.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

mark_reed wrote:As I recall, the Shakar were outside the barrier, trying to get in. Several of them tried, but died in the effort. Finally, Spyder came forward and opened it up. Everyone went through, but when they looked for their mysterious saviour upon reaching the other side, nobody could find her. Some Shakar began to speculate that the ward killed Spyder after all, as a kind of price for breeching it.

I don't think Spyder ever crossed the barrier. She probably just opened it and left.

I've been re-reading the whole series recently, and this is more or less what's in the book (middle of Book 4 (Shadow Realm) i think).  The Sha'Kar didn't know who it was that opened the hole in the ward, but they believed that she was absorbed into the ward.

Interesting other points too...
rick wrote:Also do you think that "Faalkan" was and avatar or perhaphps the knightly version of a saint ( though st.Faalkan is a scarry thought....LOL)
I don't think so -- I think Faalken was just a friendly, funny guy who happened to be a master swordsman. The only thing out of the ordinary was that he showed up in the battle of suld, when he saved Tarrin's ass from the Maralith (sp?). Although I think that was more of a side-effect of Faalken's capture into the Soultrap... and getting a little revenge, along the lines of Jegojah's revenge on Kravon.