Jason to form his own Noble House?

TJ1020965
Talent

Re: Jason to form his own Noble House?

Post by TJ1020965 »

Hearly wrote:
I'm not talking about him doing it to everyone on Draconis, but just there Noble house on Draconis..
The way I read the interaction between the noble houses, Jason, does not have to risk attacking Trillane on Draconis. By showing that an upstart Terran can embarrass, humilate and act at will without any sort of meaningful reprisal has to have made Trillane look weak to the other houses.
Since Trillane got the right (patent) to Earth, we know they have made enemies and Jason is repeatedly showing the wolves a weakened deer just begging to be cut out of the herd. I would not be surprised to see an increase on attacks against Trillane throughout the empire as the other nobles houses take the opportunity to take some retaliate or weaken their rival. All of which works to Jason's benefit
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Fiferguy wrote:Fel's already said that in the next chapter Trillane is basically going to burn down the reserve trying to smoke him out. So we already know part of the impact. But I think that his "sister" in Black Ops sent to stop him will be a surprise...I don't know if it'll be a good or a bad surprise, but a surprise. At least that's what my gut tells me.

Gut...mmm...beer fries...
Hmm, I miss out again on Fel saying that Trillane going to smoke him out in next chapter. They are already trying their damnedest (but not good enough)in Chapter 15 and Chapter 14.

So I guess it will be a bigger war in Chapter 16. But my gut says the 'Damocles' fight with his sister will appear in Chapter 16.

I wonder whether there will be Human 'enemies' appearing? to provide some twist (as if there are not enough twist). Human nature. They fight, hate, jealous and love. Besides the telepaths, other humans seems pathetic.... Human's pride.
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

He said it here: http://sennadar.plebian.net/forum/viewt ... ight=#8364

It was in the thread about Jason's Sister. :twisted:
ampws
Sorcerer

Post by ampws »

So what do you think.

Jason has discovered that he is a Karrine at last and right at the end we have Myleena Merrane who is stating that he feels like a Kimdori. I think I read somewhere that that was how he would recognise his sister.

Of course Fel being Fel he turned it around and we have Myleena recognising HIM.

Though the relationship is not confirmed it is still strong evidence that she is his 'lost' sister.

It looks as if Jason will end up in Imperial custody, a good time for his 'new' Karrine heritage to be revealled. Even if he doesn't do it himself the two fey doctors might reveal it under questioning. If only to escape the consequences of aiding Jason's rebellion.

Jason might need to claim Noble status to get out of imperial clutches. After all RHIP and Jason might need to claim that status. The rules for two feuding nobles are different.

Still a good argument for Jason forming his own noble house or ressurecting an old one. :)

AMPWS :)
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

ampws wrote:So what do you think.

Jason has discovered that he is a Karrine at last and right at the end we have Myleena Merrane who is stating that he feels like a Kimdori. I think I read somewhere that that was how he would recognise his sister.

Of course Fel being Fel he turned it around and we have Myleena recognising HIM.

Though the relationship is not confirmed it is still strong evidence that she is his 'lost' sister.

It looks as if Jason will end up in Imperial custody, a good time for his 'new' Karrine heritage to be revealled. Even if he doesn't do it himself the two fey doctors might reveal it under questioning. If only to escape the consequences of aiding Jason's rebellion.

Jason might need to claim Noble status to get out of imperial clutches. After all RHIP and Jason might need to claim that status. The rules for two feuding nobles are different.

Still a good argument for Jason forming his own noble house or ressurecting an old one. :)

AMPWS :)
That, and Fel told us that she's his sister... :wink: http://sennadar.plebian.net/forum/viewt ... ight=#8763

And I don't think that the doctors will get in trouble for helping the rebellion. Remember, the Doctors of the Faey have long had a tradition of neutrality in a conflict--they simply help those who need help.
In chapter 13 of Subjugation, Fel wrote wrote: “If we can sneak it to you without anyone noticing, then we will,” she (Kate/Kiaari) said with a nod. “The doctors are something small, and they were something of a windfall anyway, at least for you. After Kumi was injured, Rann and Songa volunteered to remain behind when they found out that your people have no doctor. Those two are throwbacks to the era of the saishain.”

“Who?”

She looked at him. “The saishain are actually the distant ancestors of the entire Faey medical profession,” she told him. “They were a cloistered monastic order who worshipped Aris, the goddess of war and mercy, back when the Faey used swords and spears.”

“That seems hypocritical,” he mused. “How can a god represent both war and mercy?”

“That paradox is the fundamental nature of Aris’ worship,” Kiaari chuckled. “The faith had two major sects, the warmongers and the peacebrokers. The saishain were an order that devoted itself to the arts of medicine. They were legendary both for their ability as healers and their fearlessness. They would show up on a battlefield and march right into it, even as it was being fought sometimes, and start tending the wounded. And they never took sides. They tended the wounded on both sides of a battle, often putting them in beds next to each other. It was an unwritten rule that there were no enemies within a saishain enclave, only the needy. They never turned away anyone in need, no matter who it was or how bad off they were. The order became so prevalent that special rules of war were introduced back in that age that made harming a saishain an offense that carried the death penalty, and rules that they were never to be interfered with or harassed, even if they were rendering aid to the enemy. The order was devoted to medicine and the dispensation of that medicine to all who were in need of it, and from them sprouted the foundations of the entire Faey medical system. The oaths of a doctor still have roots in the saishain oaths, to do no harm, to never deny healing to the needy, and to never let politics interfere with the dispensation of medicine. Even today, the medical branch is its own entity. The doctors in the Faey military aren’t part of the other armed services. The Military Medical Service is its own service, with its own ranks and its own leadership. They’re just lent out to military units in other branches, that’s all. A doctor’s insignia is still the symbol of the saishain, a red triangle on white circular background.”

“Wow. I never knew that.”

“Just one of the little things about the Faey I’ve found interesting. Their entire society is deeply entrenched in traditions and customs, and the modern Faey have no idea where most of them came from. It’s really quite interesting. Anyway, Rann and Songa are definitely throwbacks to the saishain. All they care about is the fact that your people need doctors, and so here they are. They don’t care about what you’re about to do, they only care that there’s a need for them here, and so here is where they should be.”
So I don't think that they CAN get in trouble. They are simply aiding citizens of the Imperium that need medical help.
ampws
Sorcerer

Post by ampws »

Sorry, been away a while. :(

Interesting post Fel made and I think Phantoms post was even more interesting. Think about it if Jason is legally proved to be the main Karrine descendent i.e. head of the house. House Karrine automatically becomes re-instated.

I think there was an earlier post that stated that House Merraine had gathered a lot of House Karrines assets. But phantom makes a good point in a time of civil war it *WOULD* be prudent to hide or conceal assets. Also in a time of civil war it would mean that the account would not be linked to any one individual but rather to a member of House Karrine.

The best way to do that would be to do it via genetic assay. Remember that the Moridons took genetic samples. I assume that they are not idiots and the moment Jasons DNA is tagged bells will start ringing for them.

One thing I find odd is that Fel made a point of the Moridons care of the health of there Diamond account holders. So why didn't the Moridons realise when they ran there genetic assay that Jason would be vulnerable to the DNA virus? :?:

I suspect we will see an apology from the Moridons very soon.

At the moment evidence both genetic and historical are in his favour. :D

As for the Fay doctors - well just because there is a tradition of impartiality and immunity doesn't mean there might not be other consequenses. (I wonder to the Fay have a tradition of 'shunning' like the Amish?)

At the moment I can't see how Jason can avoid becoming a Noble possibly even the Head of House Karrine.

AMPWS
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

ampws wrote: At the moment I can't see how Jason can avoid becoming a Noble possibly even the Head of House Karrine.
AMPWS
It is a matter of acceptance by the Imperium, mainly the Empress Dahnai. They are the one who exterminate KAris and expropritate their other assets. I wonder whether Merrane technology has actually been based on KArrine research along the way.
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

I'm wondering if Fel would answer this question...

Has there ever been a Male as head of a Noble house?
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Yes.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Texfire
Sorcerer

Post by Texfire »

Fel wrote:Yes.
:lol: Evil evil man. I love how all your posts are short and always lead to other questions. Just enough information to really start speculation, kinda the spoiler analogue of "give them enough rope to hang themselves"...

Tex
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Fel wrote:Yes.
Thanks Fel, Only reason I was asking was going back to the early chapters, Males were considered property (slaves) like women used to be treated before the 20th century..
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Men aren't property in the Imperium, silly. They're just not the dominant gender. Men aren't allowed to occupy any dangerous tasks by law, but there's nothing stopping a noble male from leading his house. It's not normal, but it has been known to happen.

Usually a Highborn house will name a female as the Heir Apparent, even if a son is technically next in line for the throne, because it's tradition for women to lead the houses. This is a tradition only in the Highborn caste, however.

Highborns are those noble houses who have direct blood relation to the current ruling Imperial family, and by Imperial law, are the only houses eligible to become the ruling house if the current ruling house fails to produce an heir to the throne. All other houses are called Minor Houses. FYI, Trillane is a Highborn house.

Minor houses, not adherants to the traditions of the Highborns, would name men to lead the house. Some of the more prominent Minor houses would adhere to the Highborn tradition as a way to appear more Highborn themselves, but the general rule among Minor nobility is whoever's born first takes the house.

There has been only one male Emperor of the Imperium, and he was a Merrane. Shuro Merrane ruled for three years as a regent after the death of Empress Makyi Merrane, until his younger sister, Firea Merrane, was of legal adult age and could assume the duties of the throne. History actually looks kindly on Shuro Merrane, because he prepared his sister for her duties very well, and Firea Merrane was a very good Empress.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

So Fel, is Karrine a minor house or a Highborn house?

:P
miraborn
Da'Shar

Post by miraborn »

Fel,

I'm continuously amazed by the sheer amount of knowledge you keep in your head (or in your notebook as the case may be) regarding the Faey. I would love for you, AFTER you finish the books, to compile a compendium / encyclopedia / history book of the Faey. When reading the book and your teaser and backbround posts I feel like they are a Real race and that you are really telling us about their history and technology. It is the mark of a great author when he can create such a world and make the readers believe that it's real.

Great Job!
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

miraborn wrote:Fel,

I'm continuously amazed by the sheer amount of knowledge you keep in your head (or in your notebook as the case may be) regarding the Faey. I would love for you, AFTER you finish the books, to compile a compendium / encyclopedia / history book of the Faey. When reading the book and your teaser and backbround posts I feel like they are a Real race and that you are really telling us about their history and technology. It is the mark of a great author when he can create such a world and make the readers believe that it's real.

Great Job!
Yes, it is amazing, I mean we have people like Lucas Admitting that they made the stuff up as they went along (star wars) etc...