Serious questions in need of honest answers.

Tylhandras
Initiate

Re: Serious questions in need of honest answers.

Post by Tylhandras »

I happen to agree with Miser Fel. You've already invested time, capital and brain power into your electronics career. Why change it? Does it no longer appeal to you? Is it too hard to keep up with? Or is it just apathy that needs to be worked through?

Otherwise, you do as you will. I agree with everyone, you work is some of the finest I've ever read. And PUBLISH. I am more than willing to buy whatever it is you decide to publish.
Sage4Eros
Initiate

Post by Sage4Eros »

1. Money is tight for me, so I buy my books in paperback and will only pay the $20-30 for a hardback for stories/authors that I just CAN'T wait for. I would buy every one of your stories in hardback at the stores!

2. I would take some literature/writing classes as elective, but finish out your existing plan for your Major. The piece of paper (the Physics Degree) will help get higher paying jobs in that field, but a Degree in Literature will have no bearing on the pay scale for a writer (I think- no actual experience here). I would imagine that your pay as a writer comes from royalties. No reader I have ever heard of has ever asked if the author of a book has a Literature Degree before they decide to buy a book!

3. No opinion

4. I would only create a PayPal account if you planned on creating a schedule of new chapters (and made a commitment to KEEPING that schedule). I like the way that SOL (storiesonline.net) handles it. They allow something like 5-10 chapters/stories to be viewed per day for a non-paying account, and unlimited viewings/downloads & extra features for a paying account. This means that I have a positive incentive to get a paying account but I don't HAVE to (if I am willing to space out my reading over multiple days).

I suggest sticking with your first job choice to pay the bills and try to get published in your free time. Only switch to full time writing once you get the first set of royalty checks coming in to pay the bills.

I do have 2 important suggestions:

1. Investigate finding/hiring a professional editor who has edited Sci-Fi Novels in the past. Good editing requires a special mind set coupled with training and practice. Also, a good editor will not just correct grammar & spelling, but will also help with the Storyline/Plot.

2. Before posting a chapter (or even giving it to someone else to edit), I recommend mailing yourself a copy. When you receive the copy, file it UNOPENED with a freshly printed copy that matched what is inside! This gives you a sealed copy that is Dated & Stamped by a Federal Agency. If there is ever any question in the future (such as someone trying to plagiarize or steal your work) then these Dated & Sealed hardcopy backups of your work and protect your work in the courts. This is the cheapest way I know how to protect yourself (unless you have a friend who is a Notary and will do it for free- usually it is $15-25 to get something Notarized).

Sage4Eros
AKA: Bill
dstar
Sorcerer

Post by dstar »

Fel wrote:
1: Do you HONESTLY believe that I could make it as a novelist, understanding that I would probably never attempt to have the Firestaff series published? Any attempt to publish would come from one of my other stories, like Subjugation.
You have the talent. You have the skill. You've already proven this. You've also already shown you have the "can't _not_ write" trait needed.

So the question is this: Can you sit down, each and every morning, and write at _least_ 2-3000 words? No matter what, no matter how bad your writer's block is, no matter what else is going on?

And can you do this for 2-3 years while you try to get published and try to get established? To make a decent living, realistically, you'll need to write and have published several books a year. Most books never earn out their advance.
Fel wrote: 2: Would you consider it worth the risk to switch majors to literature to help me become a better writer, considering I'm paying for college with student loans and I'll be left holding a very large bill?
No. Not in the slightest. Literature won't help you one damned bit. You want to be a good writer? Read. Read _everything_. Read good stuff and bad stuff -- and pay attention to what works and what doesn't work. Find a writer's group -- I'd suggest http://www.evolutionwriters.com. Get books on writing -- for example, Donald Maas's _Writing the Breakout Novel_.

Find someone you can trust to tell you where your work is messed up. Evolution has several of them -- Nonny is perhaps the best, if she has time. [Disclaimer: My wife and I dated her for a year, so I might be biased -- but I don't think so.]
Fel wrote: 3: Would me registering a new domain and putting someone in complete control of it help advance my effort to publish and earn a living writing? Sennadar.com would remain, however...the new domain would be a much more professional attempt at starting up a webpage, and would include Subjugation and the other stories as well.
No. Publishers don't look at the web, don't think about the web, and don't _care_ about the web, with the sole exception of refusing to publish things that have already been posted to the web. You're extremely unlikely to ever publish the Firestaff Series, for the simple reason that you've used up your first publication rights. It's possible, once you've been published for a while and have a good relationship with an editor, that you might be able to work something out, but it's not likely.
Fel wrote: 4: People have repeatedly yelled at me to put up a Paypal donation link, but I've always been VERY uncomfortable with this idea. If I do start a new domain and a new website, should it incorporate this feature to help defray the cost of the website itself?
Put it up. First, you might be surprised how much money you do or don't make; secondly, it lets your fans _show_ you how much they appreciate your stuff.
Fel wrote: Also, if you have any words of wisdom or other items of note that you might think pertinent, by all means, either put them here or PM them to me if you don't like the idea of putting it out where anyone can read it.
Never, ever, ever, _ever_ pay someone to help you get your work published. If they ask for money, it's a scam. Period. The money goes from the publisher to you, _NEVER_ the other way around.

Shalon Wood
Wildcat
Katzh-dashi

Post by Wildcat »

1) I think you could definitely make it as as professional, although you would benefit from an editor. You would have to be willing to make changes to your stuff, perhaps significant ones, but it'll make the stories better. Rewriting is a pain and a half. If you don't think you could change something once you're done with it, you'll have a hard time with being a professional. On the other hand, if you can survive shredding and rewriting, you'll have some really good stuff.

I haven't read Subjugation or any of the rest yet (waiting for them to get finished before I torment myself with another unfinished book *grins*), but I think you're a strong fantasy writer and it would be a shame if you went entirely to sci-fi. Even if you didn't publish Firestaff, perhaps you could do something set in Sennadar (the blood war?). It would be wonderful to own your work and shelve it next to everyone else I read.

2) Don't switch your major. I'm minoring in Creative Writing. The major included exactly the same number of actual creative writing classes (4), and a bunch of other liberal arts requirements (which is why I'm minoring, not majoring). According to other writers I've spoken with, the web sites of professional writers I've read, and my own opinion, what they teach you in college isn't as valuable as having a class of people willing to look over your work and make comments about how to improve it. Finding a group that will critique your stuff will do far more to help you than a professor. And as others have mentioned, if writing doesn't work out for a few years at least you'll have something to pay the bills.

3) I don't really see what's wrong with the current site, although it would be nice to have a little more information up front. A pretty web site has nothing to do with the stories, and although it might make new visitors happy the publishers wouldn't care, as dstar said.

4) Paypal is not something that will force people to donate. Why not let people give a little back for all the enjoyment you've given us?
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
MommyDoom
Keeper of the Spoon of Doom

Post by MommyDoom »

Ok Fel honey. I've always given you my honest opinion about your writing. However, my honest opinion about your life choices? Jeepers. That's fuel for many in-depth conversations over many beers. Many questions need to be asked and answered and the depths of your interest in both subjects examined. I'm concerned that this change of focus may be due to boredom with school, or impatience. How much more do you have left? I remember when I was in undergrad and my brother just kept telling me, "I don't care if your degree is in BASKETWEAVING... just get a damn degree in something!" He was of the opinion that it opened up so many doors. Admitedly, I have to agree in retrospect. Having a degree speaks to a certain degree of committment... and an ability to finish something you start.

However, having said that... if you don't like it then get the heck out of it cuz you sure won't want to do it for the rest of your life. My mother once told me that the most she could wish for me would that I would have a job that every morning I woke up and said, "Gosh, I get to go to work today!!". She watched my dad get up at 3:30am every morning for 40 years to go to a job he hated. It wore him down over the years.

I shall now attempt to answer your questions.

1. I can only speak to this question in a round-about way. I think Firestaff is unquestionably some of the best Fantasy I've read. I believe it speaks VOLUMES to your talent as a writer. Having said that, I can't stand science fiction and don't really read any of your other stuff. I'll have to bow to everyone else's expertise here and, as they tend to LOVE it, then I would say you have enormous talent in both areas of fiction. Can I ask why you wouldn't even TRY to have Firestaff published?

2. Woooo. That's an ugly question. I think I'd say cut your losses, drop school, write that first book at night while you work and save your pennies and maybe take some lit classes at your local community college.

3. I'd say forget the website stuff till you get famous. :)

4. See #3.

Sure wish you lived up here in Maryland. Would be WAY cool to meet for beers and discuss this stuff. I hate to see you twisting in the wind like this. Making these big decisions in life must be awful. Try to angle towards what would make you happiest and most comfortable. Not everyone needs a million dollars to be happy.

MommyDoom
Blood begets more blood as dog begets dog.
Death generates death as the vulture breeds the vulture.
But the voice I heard today said, "Love your neighbor. Do good to those who despitefully use you".
- From the movie, "Ben Hur"
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

I'll drop my 2.5 cents in here too.

If anyone has a job they truely love they will tell you that there are still things about that job that they hate. Say for instance that you love 90% of what you do. Then there could be 5% you don't really have an opinion of and 5% you REALLY REALLY hate! And I do mean hate. I will give you an example: I used to take photography for a hobby. Took several years of photography in school and realized I had a flair for it and was decently good. I decided not to make it a career as I realized it would take many many years to be able to make decent money for a living without having to resort to weddings/barmitzpha's etc. I took one course in photo journalism and it almost burnt me out from ever touching a camera again. It had been almost 10 years since I had taken photos even recreationally. The 5% in that case was the screwball editors and their idiotic assignments. Not the photography!

Next example is my love of computers. Way back in the early days of PCs I got involved in networking. I have been doing this on my own and have multiple certs from many vendors and now have 18 years of experience to go along with this. I have only worked for myself. I am self employed and work as much or as little as I want. I love my job and love helping out people with their computer problems. I love tracking down hackers/spammers and dealing with security issues. But my problem here is handling billing and keeping track of my billable hours. I hate this and it drives me batty each and every month. This is 10% sometimes drives me to look for other types of work. Since I am my own boss I can't complain too much about him. :D I also have to deal with slow paying clients. Most of my work is done and then I wait 30/60/90/120 days for payment. But that is the nature of the beast I work with. There there are taxes and insurance that eat up at least 30-40% of each and every dollar I bill. But I truely love my job it keeps me working and playing with computers every day. Who else can say they get paid to be on the internet every day. Pretty cool! 8)

If you can't even see a reason as to why you work then yes look at another field or at least another section of your industry.

Yes I do believe that you could write for a living. But as my example with photography says it will be many many years of living on rice and beans as a writer. That is a gamble that is hard for most people.

You have quality work and I think you should keep it as a hobby. Hobbies are something that we love and can relax with. Sometimes when a hobby becomes a job it becomes something we hate. I never want you to hate writing! If it is money to help support your writing endeavors then by all means post a PayPal link. I think its a good :idea:.

There are many writers who have "real" day jobs and this gives them experience with which they are able to continue writing.

Hope this long saga of my account helps. Either way know that you have not only my support and appreciation for your writing but hopefully everyone who has read your work.

J-Man5
Dravok
Novice

Post by Dravok »

I feel an urge to add my input here, which will make it only the second time I've posted here since I discovered your work. Coincindentally, or maybe not, this second post is about the exact same thing my first one was.
1: Do you HONESTLY believe that I could make it as a novelist, understanding that I would probably never attempt to have the Firestaff series published? Any attempt to publish would come from one of my other stories, like Subjugation.
In answer to that, I'll simply state that I've read extensively in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre and, while you do have slight room for improvement, the only authors that I get impatient for new material from are Mercedes Lackey and you. I'm positive that, with a good editor, that slight room remaining for you to improve will vanish, as there are only minor inconsistencies and a few gramatical errors that are cake for a good editor to catch.
2: Would you consider it worth the risk to switch majors to literature to help me become a better writer, considering I'm paying for college with student loans and I'll be left holding a very large bill?
In short: No!
In long: The only kind of job a degree in literature would even remotely help you get is as either a teacher or a reporter. Even then, it's not a lot of help to get a job as a reporter, I don't think. If you enjoy a career in the electronics area, then by all means stick with the physics degree. As far as you becoming a better writer, again, a good editor will help you come to your full potential.
3: Would me registering a new domain and putting someone in complete control of it help advance my effort to publish and earn a living writing? Sennadar.com would remain, however...the new domain would be a much more professional attempt at starting up a webpage, and would include Subjugation and the other stories as well.
Hmm, I wouldn't think a new domain would help you get published. Publishers get loads of unsolicited material sent to them constantly, so they'd be unlikey to be scouting the internet for new writers to publish. If you still want a more professional looking site, I'm sure at least a couple of the 360 other members of this forum are capable of creating you a good page if you were but to ask.
4: People have repeatedly yelled at me to put up a Paypal donation link, but I've always been VERY uncomfortable with this idea. If I do start a new domain and a new website, should it incorporate this feature to help defray the cost of the website itself?
I've got no opinion at all. Being in a financially unstable state at the moment, I'd be unable to donate anyway.

Anyway, there's my two imitation copper disks worth. I hope it helps, but ultimatly the decision is your's.
The Evil Bastard, Dravok
Mark_Reed
Katzh-dashi

Post by Mark_Reed »

Yes, you could make it professionally. No, you shouldn't change your major. Finish it, then if writing professionally doesn't work out, you'll have something to fall back on. The website would be immaterial, but put up the paypal link(s). Those of us who don't have the cash can always ignore it/them.

Of course, if you pulled Subjugation (or just the future chapters of it), you'd probably send myself and a good deal of your readers into a month long fit of depression... *shrug*
mbeau
Sorcerer

Post by mbeau »

Fel wrote:1: Do you HONESTLY believe that I could make it as a novelist, understanding that I would probably never attempt to have the Firestaff series published? Any attempt to publish would come from one of my other stories, like Subjugation.
I honestly think that you could make it as a writer with several caveats attached to this. If you are writing as your sole source of income, you are on a deadline. Right now you enjoy writing perhaps because it is a hobby. If it became your job, something that you had to do, would it be as enjoyable?
2: Would you consider it worth the risk to switch majors to literature to help me become a better writer, considering I'm paying for college with student loans and I'll be left holding a very large bill?
No. This is mostly based on a gut feeling for me vs any real data. You amy be the greatest writer in the world, but if the publishing companies aren't willing to put forth the effort to sell you, you will have a great deal of difficulty writing for a living. I recommend sticking with your curent (or future) source of guaranteed income and work on writing as a serious hobby. Once you get some selling momentum going, then you can consider quitting your day job and making writing it.
3: Would me registering a new domain and putting someone in complete control of it help advance my effort to publish and earn a living writing? Sennadar.com would remain, however...the new domain would be a much more professional attempt at starting up a webpage, and would include Subjugation and the other stories as well.
Not sure. I suspect that publishing companies would much rather see product vs webpages.
4: People have repeatedly yelled at me to put up a Paypal donation link, but I've always been VERY uncomfortable with this idea. If I do start a new domain and a new website, should it incorporate this feature to help defray the cost of the website itself?
The worst that happens if you put up a paypal link is that no-one sends you anything, and you are no worse off than before. That being said, there is a prospective author in rec.arts.sf.written who has been publishing exerpts from a book he is getting published by virtue of donations through paypal. It seems to be working pretty well. I would also highly recommend asking these questions there as well. There are full time writers that hang out there (John Ringo, Ryk Spoor) and others that have extensive knowledge of the publishing industry.
Taltos
Sorcerer

Post by Taltos »

I'll try to answer in short, since most points have already been raised in detail, but I want to show that I also have an opinion on this. :-)

1. I honestly don't know. Judging from talent, yes, definitely. However, I have absolutely no idea how much an author has to put into his works in terms of constancy, determination to overcome writer's block, having to do contracted work you maybe don't wanna write, and having to "mass-write", day-in day-out...

2. No! Definitely not worth it. I do think a physics major will bring you much more than literature (Maybe I am biased, I also plan to earn a physics master). Additionally, I would suggest to work in your original field (maybe part-time, the mentioned consultant work sounds fine) and try to write for the remaining time. You can start money-earning writing and see how much that yields. You can still shift more time towards writing if it turns out to be profitable. However, if you take the literature path, you cannot turn back, even if writing for food doesn't work.

3. Yes, I do think so...

4. Do it! Definitely!
Lunchbox
Initiate

Post by Lunchbox »

Personally i believe that if you got a good editor you could go very far. i would buy the entire firestaff series as soon as it came out.

At the least i believe you should put up a nice site and put a paypal link up
2p1k3
Novice

Post by 2p1k3 »

I haven't read Subjugation yet but I have finished the Firestaff Series and working my way to be up-to-date on that. I would have to say that you 'should' try to get 'all' of it published. Though you should reread through it as there are some minor grammar problems once or twice through the whole series of five books. grammar and spelling are big things when trying to get published.
You don't need to switch majors. I also would not focus on being a novelist unless you want to get into writing in general. Like becoming a journalist or such. You are a 'very good writer' imho and your stories are great. The problem is that whether you can make as much money as Piers Anthony or not largely depends upon how well your novels are received by the public. Piers Anthony makes enough to live off his novels because he has written a LOT and he works at it like it is an actual 9-5 job. I personally love to write but I think that forcing myself into a situation where I would have to treat it as a 'job' would not make me happy with writing.
To my knowledge (which is limited) there are a lot of publishers who don't care what you do with your stories online. They only care about hard copy printings. Which is short sited of them imho but it gives you the ability to do whatever you want. If you want to make a catch 'url' to put on the backs of your books then that is entirely up to you. A catchy url is largely not needed imho. What matters is content and design. Content being the major and design being important but not more important than content.
I would have someone help me reproofread the Firestaff Collection and then send it out to multiple publishers... and I mean 'multiple' as in every publisher that you can find that publishes science/fantasy fiction novels. Then once you get a publisher; start working on setting up an official website. You could use Paypal to help pay for it and separate it from your publisher. If you try to get your publisher to pay for it then they would have at least partial control over the content and design of the website if they agreed. I would advise against giving the publisher that kind of control.

those are my two cents though. :)
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

Well, it would be nice to have errors mentioned in Sennadar/Error List at Sennadar Wiki and Felbook Errors.txt by Mark Reed (as download here at forum) answered and/or corrected before sending Sennadar Books to publisher. Well, it would be nice to have them answered, anyway... Hint, hint!
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
2p1k3
Novice

Post by 2p1k3 »

did that a couple hours ago. responding to me in one thread is normally enough. lol though figuring out how to add to the list was a little weird. your help guide is 'vastly' technical. hehe
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

This was Hint to Fel :!:
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")