Fel Fanfics

Ledsmith
Sorcerer

Fel Fanfics

Post by Ledsmith »

Has Fel ever taken an official stance on authors who wish to write fan fics in his universe?
Fel
Weavespinner

Re: Fel Fanfics

Post by Fel »

Stance? Nope.

If you wanna try, knock yourself out.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
DigitalMaestro
Sui'Kun

Post by DigitalMaestro »

Mayhap such fanfics should be posted in a thread on this forum so that the quality can be monitored and all such stories can be ensured to be worthy of the Sennadar universe....

DigitalMaestro
Ledsmith
Sorcerer

Post by Ledsmith »

I'm certainly not going to make my first story attempt in one of Fel's universes, it would not be worthy of a Fel universe until I get more experience. Although, during a campagn I was running, Spyder and Jasanna made a cameo when a group of lvl 35 characters from Faerun happened upon the Sennadar gate when they were traveling through the abyss. This was during the time Spyder was training her to be the 3rd gaurdian. When the group entered Sennadar and I discribed the room and the two other people in it, one of the players eyes went wide as silver dollors while everybody else had no clue what was about to happen to them. I was hilarious.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Someone wanted to murder me for even suggesting it, In a post a whiles ago which is kinda silly.Simply put , if Fel has no problems with it, then why shouldn't someone with talent, enhance the whole experience for us all. As long as Tarrin doesn't end up having hot gay sex with Jason a la Snape and co of Potter fame , then why not? Then again, if that tickles your fancy... :P
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Mm... The problem with fanfics in Fel's universes is that they are usually so delicately balanced that even small changes might have huge outcomes. That makes experimentation very difficult. You could, for example, make a fanfic where Tarrin remained human, but without changing everything else in that universe, he would probably not live very long...

Now, I’m all for a good fanfic or ten, but I really don't expect it. It's pretty hard to even start planning one while keeping true to the setting already in place. I'd welcome anyone good enough to make a good fanfic in one of them though... :wink:
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
gcomyn
Initiate

Post by gcomyn »

yeah... having a fanfic with some of the main characters would be difficult... but if you took a side character, or even a location from this world, and made a fanfic... that could work.... have your characters react to what "actually" happened to the main character(s)... since this is a big world, and Tarrin went over most of it... I mean.. there is the whole "Eastern Kingdom" to look at as well...

Maybe have Fel create a writers dictionary/guide for his world... (although that would take him away from writing, and we don't want that....)

But having other "main" characters for the world might be nice...

GComyn
Ledsmith
Sorcerer

Post by Ledsmith »

The plan is to write a story around the fighting arena in Dala Yar Arak leading upto and including the time the Dancer is in port there. Basically no main characters will be included except for maybe a feral Jula and a view of Tarrin from a distance. The Tavern in which "The Sword" is taken from will be a prominent scene setting however.
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

Another place you could do a fanfic is if you go back in time before Tarrin is born.

examples would be:

how Tarrins parents meet and a story surronding them getting together

Do a story on the Breaking or really go for broke and try to do Spyder's story since Fel provided a basic starting point and a end point for each event, as well as some clues to how things went.

Another place to look for Fanfic areas I would say is the world of Pyrosia. That world is wide open for story material.
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

boballab wrote:Another place you could do a fanfic is if you go back in time before Tarrin is born.

examples would be:

how Tarrins parents meet and a story surronding them getting together

Do a story on the Breaking or really go for broke and try to do Spyder's story since Fel provided a basic starting point and a end point for each event, as well as some clues to how things went.

Another place to look for Fanfic areas I would say is the world of Pyrosia. That world is wide open for story material.
Or run a D&D campaign in Pyrosia. Oh wait, I am doing that. :P
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Never_Fear
Novice

Post by Never_Fear »

a fan fic during the blood war could be pretty interesting
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

Never_Fear wrote:a fan fic during the blood war could be pretty interesting
It might be interesting but I fear that might require a lot of imput from Fel

there were a lot of things that happened leading up to Tarrins tale ...

One of them that isn't in the Story's but I guessed and Fel confirmed here in the Forum
While happening later then the Blood war it's an important bit of Info.

What...or Rather Who.... actually caused the breaking ? and Why?

Also Remember Spyder was a Very important character in the Blood war
But I suppect we actually still know very little about her.. but I'll bet Fel has
her Life story well writen some where in his notes.

Fanfic seems to work best if it's just set in the Story world or uses Very minor characters
from the Story ......unless the Author has released or made available their character notes
or they have them Very well fleshed out in the main Story/s

Other wise most Fanfic has to be considered Non Canon....... to do other wise could
cause problems for the original author if they wish to write further storys in their storys universe's
unless the Fanfic writer has some really neat idea's the author likes. <smirk>

<plus have they ever decided if the Copyright for Fanfic belongs to the Main Storys author or the
Fanfic author yet ?>

Of course if that Copyright bill pass's then it may not matter much as any thing not Registered
with the US Copyright office would fall into public domain. Damn i can't find where i saw that at
it was a law that bombed several years ago that is now back once again .....has something to due
works posted to the internet and being able to easy contact the copyright holder or something like that.
<Shrugs> i only know it sounded like a lot of stuff would be becomming Public domain soon if it passed.

<Smacks head and Says DUH!? it was here in the forum http://forums.sennadar.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1096

Phantom
Last edited by Phantom on Thu May 08, 2008 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Fanfics don't always have to be ultra-correct, you know. ;)

As long as you don't kill off characters known to survive, don't allow characters who died to live, and maintain the critical major events, then knock yourself out creating your own version of events. I'll see how close you get to the real thing. ;)

So, taking the Blood War, for example:

-Spyder lives, and traps Val in his icon.
-Dragor the Industrious dies in the final battle at the Petal Lakes, and is ascended to become a Younger God and husband to the Elder Goddess T'Kya.
-The dwarves, halflings, and most of the gnomes are wiped out.
-The Urzani are shattered by the war and split into four groups that eventually become the Selani, Wikuni, and Sha'Kar, with the fourth group (the Urzani that try to cling to their traditions) eventually folding into the Sha'Kar generations after the Blood War ends.

Outside of maintaining those points, go for it.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

Fel wrote:Fanfics don't always have to be ultra-correct, you know. ;)

As long as you don't kill off characters known to survive, don't allow characters who died to live, and maintain the critical major events, then knock yourself out creating your own version of events. I'll see how close you get to the real thing. ;)

So, taking the Blood War, for example:

-Spyder lives, and traps Val in his icon.
-Dragor the Industrious dies in the final battle at the Petal Lakes, and is ascended to become a Younger God and husband to the Elder Goddess T'Kya.
-The dwarves, halflings, and most of the gnomes are wiped out.
-The Urzani are shattered by the war and split into four groups that eventually become the Selani, Wikuni, and Sha'Kar, with the fourth group (the Urzani that try to cling to their traditions) eventually folding into the Sha'Kar generations after the Blood War ends.

Outside of maintaining those points, go for it.
One continutiy problem Fel: One time you have the Sha'Kar fighting in the Blood War. (Prologue to the second book in the Firestaff Series)
It was the beginning of the Blood War. Demons raged to the north and east, spreading across the great pangeal landmass of five continents like a tidal wave of destruction. The gods called together all the peoples of the world, Humans, Sha'Kar, Fae-da'Nar, even the Vanished races of Hobbits, Gnomes, and Dwarves, and the Gods supplied them with weapons that could harm their enemies.

Then you have The Urzani fighting in it. (Spyder talking to Tarrin at Haven)
“A plague killed most of them, and that caused two separate colonies to eventually become the Trilla and the Urzani. The same race with two names, who eventually truly became separate races. It happened again to my own people, after the Blood War, when the Urzani came to be no more, living on with a new name, the Sha’Kar, while two new races were born from them.
The only way I can see to get around that was the Prologue was taken from a history text written by someone after the Breaking and by that time the name of the Urzani was forgotten. They just had a description of them which describes the Sha'Kar which they still remembered. Since Spyder lived it she would have to have the "real" history.
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment