Demon's Bane, Chapter 9 (SPOILERS AHOY!)

GloriousShamash
Initiate

Re: Demon's Bane, Chapter 9 (SPOILERS AHOY!)

Post by GloriousShamash »

I've been speculating that the whole thing from top to bottom is a setup from the GOG. He gets rid of the firestaff on an important world and ensures the safety of another. You'd think, being GOG he'd have an interest in a top-notch god to look after things on Pyrosia.

Hey so what if a few deva get beaten up in the process? It would explain Mother Wynn's cryptic comments.
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Ah Mother Wynn and the girl she is with is an unknown quantity. I thought it has to do with GOG. But at times I thought it could be Ayise with other agendas too.

I wonder whether Niami knows about her given that she can read Tarrin. And she kept quiet about it. Hehe.. Tarrin knows Niami can lie when she has to.

But it seems the universe is so big that Niami does not know about all the worlds and about all the Gods that exists. She does not even can find her children that was lost on Pyrosia but yet she knows about the One when she finds out later.

But I did get confused between the mortal world, where the universe occurs, the material world, then there are the gods dimensions, then there are crossroads, the in-between planes of dimensions.

:oops:
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
afrigeek
Da'Shar

Post by afrigeek »

The levels of power exhibited by Mother Wynn far exceed anything Ayise could do. I am quite sure that a solar is almost equal in power to an elder God and Ayise certainly would not have the power to freeze a solar or wipe his memory.

Mother Wynn certainly only fits the profile of some serious meddling by the GoG.
"Bachelors should be heavily taxed. It is not fair that some men should be happier than others." - Oscar Wilde

What actually happened was that George Dubya Bush saw an Iraqi maths teacher carrying a geometry set, accused him of being a member of the notorious Al-gebra movement, and charged him with possessing weapons of maths instruction.
Peter_Koopman
Initiate

Post by Peter_Koopman »

afrigeek wrote:Mother Wynn certainly only fits the profile of some serious meddling by the GoG.
This has been discussed before:
http://sennadar.plebian.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=814
"Fear is the main source of superstition, and one of the main sources of cruelty.
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom."
Peter_Koopman
Initiate

Post by Peter_Koopman »

Hearly wrote:After they kill Gruz, someone will have to take over the heart or the weave will collapse, I'm thinking Tarrin's Shadow would be a perfect choice, he wouldn't allow the One to do anything "bad"..
I don't think Tarrin's shadow will take over the heart. It will be a part of Tarrin, but not his shadow. Read the last chapters of Axe. The answer is there.

Or at least, I hope I interpreted it right.
"Fear is the main source of superstition, and one of the main sources of cruelty.
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom."
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

afrigeek wrote:The levels of power exhibited by Mother Wynn far exceed anything Ayise could do. I am quite sure that a solar is almost equal in power to an elder God and Ayise certainly would not have the power to freeze a solar or wipe his memory.

Mother Wynn certainly only fits the profile of some serious meddling by the GoG.
I disagree on the power, Ayise is not only an elder god, she is THE elder god of Sennadar. Where as naimi could take on a demon lord, her mother created her, and is thus stronger. A solar could kill a demon lord, but that is because of the bow that is given to him by the god of gods. A solar is not a match for a sennadar elder god without his bow, meaning that which makes up the solar is not a match an elder god. Ayise would certainly have powers, but it would take some pretty strong divine power to work that close to the core and its magical blocking sideeffect. My money is on the GoG's though. But I disagree on Ayise having the power to freeze a solar or whipe his memory, if the solar was on sennadar. Ayise is the all on sennadar, and the all can do anything...
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
GloriousShamash
Initiate

I'm not sure that's true.

1. Ayise would be less powerful than an elder god who did not dilute her power by having children and granting them power. (Somewhere Mother explained this.)

2. The strength of gods seems very relative to location. On her home plane, she's ridiculously powerful only really vulnerable to the GOG. On Sennadar very powerful but still limited by the rules. On the deva's home turf, I expect she'd be stronger than most gods, but a Solar might giver her pause. They were created to deliver a smack down to everybody and anybody in that region after all.

The reason I brought up elder gods in the first place is that it seems kind of sloppy for Tarrin to fix things up if the GOG won't deliver a new elder god to keep things stable. I wonder if that's even possible.
khyranleander
Initiate

Post by khyranleander »

Should be. True, most elder gods are described as arising in the same process that began their plane. But some actually make their planes, so have to come from somewhere else, a somewhere else that the GoG could theoretically tap to bring a new one to Pyrosia.

Of course, there is the question of whether some god brought in can be an elder god of that plane if not either part of or responsible for that plane. However, if Ayise can split Tarrin from his god-self, the GoG can probably manage the assignment of an elder god to a plane.

Heck, "he" is the GoG -- can probably create an elder god from scratch!

----------------------

Hello, GoG? Heard from MaGoG lately?
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

GloriousShamash wrote:
1. Ayise would be less powerful than an elder god who did not dilute her power by having children and granting them power. (Somewhere Mother explained this.)
I disagree, Ayise is definitely not weaker than the elder gods, she rules over the elder gods, she is the all, she can do anything. And you forget, being a god means that their powers are infinite, like when terran started to create that money/energy in the crossroads, it just kept coming because his divine power had no end. Besides, when a mother has a child, she is not automatically weaker than before she had her child. Just so, the mother of the eldergods and the father of the elder gods (time) came together and created/gave birth/gave life to the elder gods. Its a synergistic, not parasitic, relationship. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

I believe you are refering to where Ayise limited her power and bound herself under the same rules as the elder gods so that there would be a balance. She bound herself, limited herself. But she is not weaker than the other elder gods. And frankly, if you compared her to a eldergod from a subprime world, she could kick their but every day of the week, and twice on sunday if she felt like it.

~Michael 8)
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
GloriousShamash
Initiate

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't talking about Ayise relative to Nyise or one of the other elder gods of Sennadar. I meant she would be less powerful compared to an elder god of another prime material plane (one very close to the center) who did not give up some power to offspring.

I'll have to look for it, but someone said that in the process of creating other elder gods, she gave up some of her power. Think of it as conservation of powers. The elder gods as a system cannot have more power after Nyise and her siblings creation than before when Ayise was alone.

BTW I have no idea if that makes sense, but that's how I understood it. Now I just need to go back and look for the reference. lol
Mistra
Katzh-dashi

Post by Mistra »

i interpreted it like ayise restricted her own powers in her world, she is bound by rules, not by power, the second she'd have a fight outside sennadar, she'd be capable of using all of her powers. And the other elder gods of sennadar were created by here, do you lose power if you make a sculpture?
Wicketklown001
Sorcerer

Post by Wicketklown001 »

Mistra wrote:do you lose power if you make a sculpture?
I believe you would if you imbued it with some of your power.

Honestly I can see it going either way but from a balance standpoint I think she had to give up some of her power when she made her children.

Now on her home plane, she is second to none except the GoG, but if she were to battle another elder god from another prime material plane, they would likely be evenly matched or leaning slightly in her favor.
mbeau
Sorcerer

Post by mbeau »

When Ayise made the rules that applied to the Elder gods of Sennadar, she also bound herself by them.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Such conjecture. ;)

When did this "who has the bigger club" thread get started anyway, hahaha.

If we're gonna have this debate, fine, time for THE BIG CLUB. ;)

Simply put, Ayise invested some of her power in her children. She isn't all-powerful the way she was before she did this, so if it was Ayise vs. another Prime Elder God, she'd lose, because she divided her power.

But, Ayise can call on her children to help her at any time. So, though her power is divided, she still commands all of it. Just not directly.

Ayise vs. any non-Prime Elder God would be a slaughter. Even with her power divided, she's more than a match. For that matter, any of the ten Elder Gods of Sennadar are. That's why they have such limiting restrictions on them out in the multiverse. Ayise, before she divided her power, was the third most powerful being in the multiverse. The second most powerful is a Prime Elder of another plane.

Any of the Elder Gods is more than a match for any Solar, anywhere, any time. So the whole Ayise vs. Solar thread is a moot point. Not only is Ayise stronger, but no Solar would dare even tangle with her, because she's a Prime.

But, it was fun to watch. ;)
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Wicketklown001
Sorcerer

Post by Wicketklown001 »

I wonder if these debates start simply in hopes that Fel will drop by and give a few more tidbits about the setting like this. :)