Being Bona Fide

General announcements about the forum and its related services.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Halcyon
Katzh-dashi

Being Bona Fide

Post by Halcyon »

Here's a question: do we as a forum have an official constitution with bylaws, or a procedural manual, and if we don't, should we draft one? Imean that way we could have a legal contract that identifies our various sects, groups, and cults, and the purpose of each of these groups here within this forum? What do you guys think? I'm more than willing to do it, with a little help, of course! :P
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
Charles M. Schulz
Saelamin
Talent

Re: Being Bona Fide

Post by Saelamin »

I think you have to much time on your hands to think up something like that for this forum.
Halcyon
Katzh-dashi

Post by Halcyon »

Saelamin wrote:I think you have to much time on your hands to think up something like that for this forum.
I really do...hence the post...
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
Charles M. Schulz
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

Halcyon wrote:Here's a question: do we as a forum have an official constitution with bylaws, or a procedural manual, and if we don't, should we draft one? Imean that way we could have a legal contract that identifies our various sects, groups, and cults, and the purpose of each of these groups here within this forum? What do you guys think? I'm more than willing to do it, with a little help, of course! :P
I think that because of the electronic signiture act we should be very careful about what sort of artifice facade documents you want to create and be bound to. Personally, I think that is a very bad thing for this group, and especially for Fel and Spec. So I in no way would support this. Thats my counsel...

~Michael
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
Andygal
Sorcerer

Post by Andygal »

Constitutions suck we have enough laws in real life without bringing them into the Internet.

Long live Anarchy!
Old signature was in need of replacement, insert clever new signature here.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

michaelsuave wrote:I think that because of the electronic signiture act we should be very careful about what sort of artifice facade documents you want to create and be bound to. Personally, I think that is a very bad thing for this group, and especially for Fel and Spec. So I in no way would support this.
I'm not bound by US law - yes, the forum is hosted in the US, but I can move it outside US Jurisdiction, if I wanted to.

In any case - bylaws etc sound way too formal, and I'm not interested in administering it. It's hard enough ensuring any moderation I do isn't unfair or heavy handed, and is as transparent as I can make it.

Edit: An appropriate QOTD on my Google Homepage:
The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced.
- Frank Zappa
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Spec8472 wrote:In any case - bylaws etc sound way too formal, and I'm not interested in administering it.
Okay, maybe I shouldn't post straight after waking up... But uhm - basicly I mean that I think the <a href="http://sennadar.plebian.net/forum/viewt ... =62">Forum Guidelines</a> should bee enough, really.

I think the two guiding principles "Common sense applies, most of the time." and "If you wouldn't say it infront of your mother/brother/sister/children, think twice before posting it here." should cover most of it -- there's some more stuff below that, if people really want to clarify that.

Creating a Charter, with By-Laws, a Constitution, and a whole sort of pseudo-legal framework is creating a whole lot of work for someone, which will probably be either unenforcable - or create so much of a headache for anyone trying to moderate a discussion, that it'll discourage all parties (moderators, users, etc)
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

I think the short answer here is just no. ;) The long answer I think is just use common sense. If you don't mind people seeing what you say, say it. If you do, don't--within the Forum Guidelines of course.
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Darn... too much laws will make it unconstitutional to go Off-Topic.
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Mizriath wrote:Darn... too much laws will make it unconstitutional to go Off-Topic.
That's unlikely to stop some.
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

Spec8472 wrote:
Mizriath wrote:Darn... too much laws will make it unconstitutional to go Off-Topic.
:twisted:
Halcyon
Katzh-dashi

Post by Halcyon »

Well, I wasn't entirely serious about the whole drafting a constitution thing, I mostly wanted to see how people would respond. :P
Charles M. Schulz
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Spec8472 wrote:
Hey, I resemble that remark!
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com