Something I'm confused about (sub chap 16) spoilers

Hearly
Speed Racer!

Something I'm confused about (sub chap 16) spoilers

Post by Hearly »

Ok, at the end of chap 16, Myleena said "It’s a House crime, what you were doing, but there’s really no Imperial law covering it."

Now this confuses the heck out of me, wouldn't there Be Imperial law's about killing other people? (stick pilots, people in Orbital One who were killed with the marbles from hell, etc) I mean if there is no Imperial laws being broken why are there Units of the Imperial "army" involved in trying to stop him?

Edited (cuz I typed something twice..)
Last edited by Hearly on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fel
Weavespinner

Re: Something I'm confused about (sub chap 16) spoilers

Post by Fel »

Sure, some Imperial laws were broken, but what Myleena was referring to was Jason's ongoing war with Trillane. That's a HOUSE issue, not an IMPERIAL issue. If it was an Imperial issue, then the whole planet would be crawling with Marines, and not just one unit of Black Ops.

Surely they could arrest Jason, but they have other plans for him. ;)
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Fel wrote:Sure, some Imperial laws were broken, but what Myleena was referring to was Jason's ongoing war with Trillane. That's a HOUSE issue, not an IMPERIAL issue. If it was an Imperial issue, then the whole planet would be crawling with Marines, and not just one unit of Black Ops.

Surely they could arrest Jason, but they have other plans for him. ;)

I'm wondering what there plans are for him, I mean I can't see the Trilliane just saying Ok you can have him, and we'll never try and kill him again...
shades98
Initiate

Post by shades98 »

I think the R&D people have had a thing for Jason since his war with the Imperial Marines. The fact that he has shown how to attack the Sticks, the sonic ring, the plasma guns, and don't forget the box of Marbles give him more credibility than anything else.
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

R&D and the black ops are one thing, but I wouldn't be suprised if this goes all the way up to the empress. But even just looking at those two branches of the government, just look at it from their perspective. They all think that Jason is pretty much doing this by himself, they were surprised that there were faey with him when the got to the site of the blown up car. They believe, and rightfully so, that Jason has been able to take out an orbital station, a battleship/cruiser, multiple orbital satellites, many sticks, not to mention shutting down a space port, the capital of north america, create a stealth vehicle that can't be tracked, and injured Trillane to the extent that they burned down a good chunk of southeastern USA. And they believe that he did this with parts that can be picked up at their equivelence of a radio shack. Just imagine what Jason could do if he had access to full military technology and programming? Jason is brilliant, and they want that brilliance more than anything. The Faey's technology is the only think keeping the skaag at bay currently, that makes Jason an incredible asset, if they can control him... Which ultimately, I don't think they will be able to.
~Michael
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
shades98
Initiate

Post by shades98 »

I don't think that they want to control him...trying to control him would like be putting a leash on a tiger and then have some stranger pull on its tail...a very short tempered cat with a long reach. But all joking aside, he's just 1/4 to 1/3 trained in their technology...think what he could do if he had the full complement of training...but saying that he's also got something that the most Faey don't have. Passion, he has a believe in himself and a passion of wanting to do it right. now that he knows that he's a direct descendant of Maeda Kirinnes. Which gives the Empress an out to give Earth to him and his house because she knows that she needs Earth to be productive.
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

shades98 wrote:I don't think that they want to control him...trying to control him would like be putting a leash on a tiger and then have some stranger pull on its tail...a very short tempered cat with a long reach. But all joking aside, he's just 1/4 to 1/3 trained in their technology...think what he could do if he had the full complement of training...but saying that he's also got something that the most Faey don't have. Passion, he has a believe in himself and a passion of wanting to do it right. now that he knows that he's a direct descendant of Maeda Kirinnes. Which gives the Empress an out to give Earth to him and his house because she knows that she needs Earth to be productive.
Um, I disagree, the whole point of the book is the faey trying to control the humans, earth, and especially Jason. The very title of the book is subjugation.

sub·ju·gate
Pronunciation[suhb-juh-geyt]
–verb (used with object), -gat·ed, -gat·ing.
1. to bring under complete control or subjection; conquer; master.
2. to make submissive or subservient; enslave.

With Jason captured, this is probably the first and only time that the faey can have "complete" control over jason. And I do mean complete, jason is stunned, no defenses telepathically, and there is no reason a mindbender can't work Jason over either. The whole point of this book is jason fighting back against that control, using whatever it takes (within limits) to gain the freedom of himself, and the human race.

~Michael
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

I remember a mention from before that using a mindbender would be the very last resort though.

They're literally rewriting his mind to be a loyal subject, and in doing so they take the chance of overwriting his creativity. You'd end up with a technical genius, but no way to put into R&D where he'd need to be.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

I don't think that the Imperials want to do that anyway. They've been trying since almost the beginning of the book to get him into R&D or Black Ops. With several offers to make his criminal record go away. So rather than controlling and limiting Jason, I think this might just be his way of getting away with more...and with his sister helping, who knows what they can think of now... :twisted:
shades98
Initiate

Post by shades98 »

michaelsuave wrote:
Um, I disagree, the whole point of the book is the faey trying to control the humans, earth, and especially Jason. The very title of the book is subjugation.

sub·ju·gate
Pronunciation[suhb-juh-geyt]
–verb (used with object), -gat·ed, -gat·ing.
1. to bring under complete control or subjection; conquer; master.
2. to make submissive or subservient; enslave.

With Jason captured, this is probably the first and only time that the faey can have "complete" control over jason. And I do mean complete, jason is stunned, no defenses telepathically, and there is no reason a mindbender can't work Jason over either. The whole point of this book is jason fighting back against that control, using whatever it takes (within limits) to gain the freedom of himself, and the human race.

~Michael
I agree that House Trilliane is using Earth as a personal fiefdom where breaking every Imperial law there is for personal rights, which is the reason why Jason is fighting his fight, and why he has other Faey helping him. Now the thing that isn't well known in the Empire is that Jason is a Telepath and now that he is taken they will find he is that and being that he has some training with Jys he has some control over it. Now that he is captured it will take some time to get the mindbender to him, if and only if Myleena gives him up. I can see her talking to Jason and finding the reason why he feels like a Kimdori. Besides you don't think that Kate is going to allow him to stay in the hands of a mindbender for long let alone Jys and Kumi.
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Jason is captured!!!

The question is for how long.

A hint was Myleena saying, he felt like a Kimdori. Myleena definitely has Karinne blood. And Myleena somehow knew she is different.

My opinion is the next chapter will unravel between the relationship between Myleena and Jason, and Myleena letting Jason go. But showing the imperium that Jason has engineered it. And maybe giving Jason more techno gifts... hehe. Like totally untraceable panels.

Miarri will also feature cause JAson will then wants answers from her and the Elder Kimdori.

The Trillane will continue to hound and plan for assasinations of Jason.

I believe after reading about Maeda, old enemies and more enemies will come out of the woodwork. Defeating the Skaa will comes out in the next book. (When Jason is the hero and noble for Earth perhaps.)
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
MechCraft
Initiate

Post by MechCraft »

Lochar wrote:I remember a mention from before that using a mindbender would be the very last resort though.

They're literally rewriting his mind to be a loyal subject, and in doing so they take the chance of overwriting his creativity. You'd end up with a technical genius, but no way to put into R&D where he'd need to be.
also there seems to be a double meaning about house crime.

if jason is found to be a direct decendent to the lost house of Karinne (as insinuated by RAN), and trilliane brings in a mindbender to make a loyal subject. that would kick the imperial pallace in the butt. whats to say that trillane wont do that to other nobles....
When the world bows before you, dont forget to wipe your feet.