Question?

flail93
Talent

Question?

Post by flail93 »

now that he's a god, can he have kids, and if so, will they have some of his powers, or would they be gods in their own right?
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Re: Question?

Post by Lochar »

Tarrin can still have children with any of his mates, but I doubt they'd have any of his powers, minus the fact that they would have the inborn ability to use Sorcery.

Godhood is not something that can be passed on through genetics, I don't think.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

Now why would we assume that.  Ancient Greek gods and goddesses had demi-god children if they mated with a plain ole human.  So why wouldn't Tarrin's divinity be passed on.  What other situation in Sennadar or Pyrosia have we seen that covers this example?

Seems it could go either way.

Just another viewpoint.

J-Man5
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Maybe if Tarrin's godly self was from Aiyse, but I don't think it'd work since he's a Firestaff creation.  If nothing else, most of the Elder gods would panic to no end if any of his later kids were born with godly powers from the Firestaff and not Aiyse.  I don't really see them allowing that.

Just my opinion.

Support my brother.
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

This may have to be some thing Fel answers.  ???

Sincerely,

J-Man5

p.s. I think it would be fun for Fel to write it this way.  Really why not piss off the elder gods a bit more.   Add a few more to the pantheon.  
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

j-man5 wrote:p.s. I think it would be fun for Fel to write it this way.  Really why not piss off the elder gods a bit more.   Add a few more to the pantheon.  
Catch-22.  Elder Gods are damned if they let the kids grow up and enter the pantheon, and damned if they "remove" the kids while they are babies and can't fight back, since Tarrin will rip through the pantheon.

Support my brother.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

hmm, now that is something I have never considered.  I think flail earns a coveted cookie.

lemme ponder a bit.

*ponder*

*ponder*

Now, if Tarrin was a "real" god, it would be entirely possible for him to produce a divine offspring...but only with another god.  The rules of Sennadar would prohibit any child he had with a mortal to be divine.  A child he might produce with a mortal would be an Avatar, much like Miranda, but most likely with more potential.  Such a child would be an "alpha progeny," vastly gifted in some skill or ability favored by his divine parent, and also might have some minor magical abilities centered around the sphere of control of his divine parent.  A mortal child of Niami, for example, would be an immensely powerful Sorcerer.  A child of Ahiriya might have unusual magical power over fire.  A child of Denthar, the god of knowledge, would be a genius, and a child of K'Tar, the god of war, would be a legendary soldier.

Tarrin is a god created by the Firestaff, so the rules for him are much different.  All his power is granted to him by the staff, who only grants that power once every 5 millenia to only one person.   When a god has a mortal child and makes it an Avatar, he or she is, in a way, sharing that power.  Tarrin cannot do that, his power is locked up within himself...it's an aspect of his being that makes him so radically different from any other god.  Any child he might have now that he's divine wouldn't carry any hint at ALL that one of his parents was a god.  That child would be completely mortal.  For that child, his aptitudes would be completely dependent on his mortal qualities.  Such a child would obviously be a Were-cat, and might be a strong Sorcerer or Druid or Wizard, and would have a good chance of having exceptional physical prowess, depending on the female parent.

There are mortal children of the gods running around on Sennadar.  One of them became a god.

I'm sure you're curious, so it's time to dust off some ancient Sennadar lore....

The Elder Goddess of Air, T'Kya, fell in love with a mortal, a mighty general named Dragor, whom she happened to meet once while one of her Avatars was wandering the land.  She came to love him so much she made her Avatar permanent, giving it a mortal body so she could pursue him directly, providing him with someone he could understand and love, and giving her a way to love him in return.  (This kind of Avatar is the direct manifestation type)

Then came the Blood War.  T'Kya feared so much for Dragor she basicly browbeat him into marriage, and she became pregnant to him.  He died in the Blood War (and later became a Younger God), and she bore him a son, Vykar.

Vykar was an exceptional mortal and had strange magical powers over air and wind, but he was full of rage.  That rage came to a head when he discovered that his mother was an Elder God, and that she did not intervene when his father, whom he had never known, rode off to death (Dragor hadn't become a Younger God yet).

In a fury, he called up a storm that ravaged the land, and he stalked across the lands of Nyr for ten years, wreaking destruction wherever he went.  He did so much damage and got so much attention that he gained a follower of true faith.  When he was killed by his mother for finally going too far, he ascended and became Vykar the Ravager, god of storms and destruction.

Dragor ascended several years later to become Dragor the Industrious, god of war, combat, and innovation, future co-patron of Telluria, along with Denthar.

Now T'Kya and Dragor wage an endless battle to keep the destructive fury of their son in check.

There, story time is over.  Someday I'll tell you the story of how Sheniia, the Younger Goddess of peace, mercy, and love, came to have power over the twin gods of Death, Dakkii and Dakkuu.  Only Sheniia has the power to call back a soul taken by the twins of Death (only a Priest of Sheniia, or Sheniia herself, can resurrect the dead on Sennadar).
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Ladies and gents, we have an answer!

Hooray!

Thanks for taking the time Fel.

Support my brother.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

Thank you, Fel, for the answer and the story. I hope you will incorporate the story somehow into the "Pyrosian Chronicles" (into the Tarrin book), so not only good ol' forum readers would know it.

P.S. I would really, really like to have good thread subjects. This (i.e. "Question?") isn't...
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
MISER
Katzh-dashi

Post by MISER »

I RATHER LIKE THIS QUESTION BUT HAD CONSIDERED IT OBVIOUS.   AFTER ALL THE SON OF "GOD" IS AN OLD OLD STORY. :D ... BUT THIS PROVIDED A NEW SET OF OPTIONS FOR THE KAEL STORY LINES. I WOULD STILL LOVE TO SEE IT. BUT THANKS FOR THE ANSWERS FEL.

JOHN
IF ITS IN ALL CAPS "DEAL WITH IT!"
Have a good day or night or something.
Purrs and Growlls to you all !!!!!
John
Mark_Reed
Katzh-dashi

Post by Mark_Reed »

I reached the same conclusion as fel, but through a simpler line of logic. Or maybe just the same line of logic put more simply.

Your average god: god-soul, god-body
Tarrin: god-soul, mortal-body

Unless you want to say that we pass along parts of our soul to our children (something which would seem possible as parents are responsible for molding their kids during childhood, but not quite so believable if you think it happens at *conception*) then it WOULD be a matter of genetics. And since it's a mortal body, it would be mortal genetics.

Of course, i didn't know about the children of gods being avatars... or the neat story. Thanks Fel!
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

mark_reed wrote:I reached the same conclusion as fel, but through a simpler line of logic. Or maybe just the same line of logic put more simply.

Your average god: god-soul, god-body
Tarrin: god-soul, mortal-body

Unless you want to say that we pass along parts of our soul to our children (something which would seem possible as parents are responsible for molding their kids during childhood, but not quite so believable if you think it happens at *conception*) then it WOULD be a matter of genetics. And since it's a mortal body, it would be mortal genetics.

Of course, i didn't know about the children of gods being avatars... or the neat story. Thanks Fel!

It's not a mortal body though.  It was grow with magic by a goddess, and his soul transformed his body to give him his wings back.  If Tarrin ever does fully accept his divine status, he'd probably regain his completely divine body.

Support my brother.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

lochar wrote:It's not a mortal body though.  It was grow with magic by a goddess, and his soul transformed his body to give him his wings back.  If Tarrin ever does fully accept his divine status, he'd probably regain his completely divine body.
On the other hand, Tarrin don't have the hairs of flame. And wings are not quite integral part of his body: they grow on him. His body was regrown with help from Goddes, but I think it was ordinary (well, enhanced) Were' regeneration at work.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

They can't recover from decapitation.  All she was growing form was hair.  She to use her magic to force the hair to grow a body, other wise everytime a werecat lost a limb, a body without a soul would grow from it.  That's powerful magic, seeing as how Niami isn't a god of creation, even creation with magic would be hard.

Also, if the wings grow from Tarrin, they are a true part of him.  Remember that the wings being mostly destroyed had physcial effects on Tarrin.  It's just like if you ripped the feathers off of a bird.  They feel physcal pain, and have to regrow the feathers also.

I figure, as Tarrin starts to completely accept his divinity, he'll gain the ability to change to his full divine form.  As fire is an element of change, it wouldn't matter anyways and he can look like he does now if he wants to.

Support my brother.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

lochar wrote:They can't recover from decapitation.  All she was growing form was hair.  She to use her magic to force the hair to grow a body, other wise everytime a werecat lost a limb, a body without a soul would grow from it.  That's powerful magic, seeing as how Niami isn't a god of creation, even creation with magic would be hard.
Right. Adding to this that the hair are dead tissue. But the fact is that his body is mortal body, regrown from his braid like ultimate in regeneration. Body made by Niami... but maybe transmuted during Stragos Bane incident by his artifact sword.
lochar wrote:Also, if the wings grow from Tarrin, they are a true part of him.  Remember that the wings being mostly destroyed had physcial effects on Tarrin.  It's just like if you ripped the feathers off of a bird.  They feel physcal pain, and have to regrow the feathers also.
But this might be only because the wings represents his divine power. If the divine part of his soul is damaged, it shows on the condition of wings. Not the wings are damaged itself.
lochar wrote:I figure, as Tarrin starts to completely accept his divinity, he'll gain the ability to change to his full divine form.  As fire is an element of change, it wouldn't matter anyways and he can look like he does now if he wants to.
Because Tarrin is demigod and shapeshifter (he can now maintain human form I think undefinitely), I think he can keep his Were form.
Last edited by Shadowhawk on Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.