Just a friendly reminder that COVID is still out there.

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Fel
Weavespinner

Just a friendly reminder that COVID is still out there.

Post by Fel »

Cause I have it.

Again.

This is infection #3.

Fortunately it's about as severe as the flu, so outside of feeling moderately crappy, I'm otherwise alright.

Everyone stay safe out there. Remember, COVID affects those with poor health or co-morbidities the most severely, so if you have any pre-existing conditions, be careful.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Blacktiger
Da'Shar

Re: Just a friendly reminder that COVID is still out there.

Post by Blacktiger »

Get well soon!!!
Andygal
Sorcerer

Post by Andygal »

I hope you feel better real soon.
Old signature was in need of replacement, insert clever new signature here.
XavDan
Initiate

Post by XavDan »

Take care Fel. Good rest and worry free mind solves 90% of the issues. Recover well and soon
ninjafroggie
Novice

Post by ninjafroggie »

Just out of curiosity (not trying to start any kind of debate here) did you get vaccinated? Just curious to see if you did and it's not working, or you didn't. I havent had it (or at least havent been sick enough to even think about taking a covid test), and I got my shots as soon as I was able...and the side effects SUCKED. First dose was fine, just felt kinda crummy for like half a day, but the second dose not only knocked me on my ass for a full day, but the lymph nodes in my arm, shoulder, and neck got incredibly swollen and moderately painful for several days...seriously, it looked like I had a tennis ball under my skin where my neck meets my shoulder. So, I'm genuinely curious if I went through that for nothing because the vaccine doesnt actually work and I've just been lucky.
kal
Katzh-dashi

Post by kal »

ninjafroggie wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:34 pm Just out of curiosity (not trying to start any kind of debate here) did you get vaccinated? Just curious to see if you did and it's not working, or you didn't. I havent had it (or at least havent been sick enough to even think about taking a covid test), and I got my shots as soon as I was able...and the side effects SUCKED. First dose was fine, just felt kinda crummy for like half a day, but the second dose not only knocked me on my ass for a full day, but the lymph nodes in my arm, shoulder, and neck got incredibly swollen and moderately painful for several days...seriously, it looked like I had a tennis ball under my skin where my neck meets my shoulder. So, I'm genuinely curious if I went through that for nothing because the vaccine doesnt actually work and I've just been lucky.
i havent had it either. just got knocked on my ass with the man flu after each dose.

i am actually surprised that i havent got COVID because of how much i travel.
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

I've had I think four doses of the vaccine now, but I've also had covid twice. Both instances of covid were very mild though, no worse than a cold (definitely not flu level).
ninjafroggie
Novice

Post by ninjafroggie »

Greymist wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:02 am I've had I think four doses of the vaccine now, but I've also had covid twice. Both instances of covid were very mild though, no worse than a cold (definitely not flu level).
certainly a better outcome than a visit to the ICU, but who can say for sure if you would have been one of the people needing hospitalization or not without the vaccine?

If the vaccine at least works well enough to make it just like a cold, well short of flu level, then maybe i have had it and just didnt feel sick enough to think about taking a covid test.
wetnomad
Katzh-dashi

Post by wetnomad »

Here in the UK I had three doses of the same vaccine, and yet still managed to catch the real thing. That said, the vaccine was no more than a sore arm for a few days, each time, and the Covid itself was like one to two days of a very mild cold. Nothing to say it wasn't an ordinary cold, apart from testing positive for Covid and losing my sense of smell, although not my sense of taste, oddly enough. Mind you, as ninjafroggie said, who's to say what my reaction would have been without the vaccine jabs? Given my almost total lack of reaction to the vaccine jabs, I'd as rather have them as not. And in my line of work (seaman) I'm used to having to be in date for a raft of different jabs anyway, as a condition of employment. Some are mandatory in most countries too.
Andygal
Sorcerer

Post by Andygal »

I might have had Covid,I had something a while back but they were discouraging people from getting tested unless they were seriously ill due to lack of space, so I don't know for sure.

At the time I was double vaxxed (this was before the boosters were available) and it was like a bad cold. But given that I do have pre-existing heart issues I'm glad I got the vaccine as it might have been much worse without it.

I did have some side effects with the vaccine but it wasn't that bad, the second and third dose were the worst and I just got muscle aches but it was manageable. I know some people got pretty bad fatigue with the vaccine but even that is still better than what you risk with Covid.

A friend's brother had to have heart bypass surgery after getting Covid so...
Old signature was in need of replacement, insert clever new signature here.
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

Had the first 2 shots… did not get sick to earlier this year.
Wednesday went to lunch with some who didn’t feel well Thursday.
Friday he called in with Covid, Friday at work I felt crummy, by Friday evening had a headache. Saturday had the never ending headache, after sweating it out Saturday night for up Sunday feeling great. By late Sunday could not taste anything, lost 5 lbs cause I couldn’t taste a damn thing for over 2 weeks.
davien96
Novice

Post by davien96 »

There is a new change to the COVID variant which makes it more infectious but (again hopefully) less severe. Its what has happened with all the coronaviruses of the past which eventually became our colds and flus.

Touch wood...I had all the vaccines offered in the UK for non-pensioners and had it only twice so far. Once...March 2020 and then again in October 2021 after the third vaccine. High fever and headache sends me to bed for 24hrs (both times) then another 24hrs to recover. Not lost my taste...if I had any...or smell yet but I think that is the high fever burning the virus out. I spend 4 days per week travelling on planes, trains and taxis so I count myself very lucky so far.

Fortunately I am in my early-ish 40s and in decent health so likely a factor which helps. I have a close friend who is in her early 30s and she has had long covid for 9mths now which is only just starting to pass. It is definitely still around and expect it to get worse in the northern hemisphere as the winter comes around.

Now I just need to get the weight loss bit that Wolfee had :)