Remembering When

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
RobJ
Katzh-dashi

Remembering When

Post by RobJ »

Its afternoon here in New Zealand 🇳🇿 and I started thinking which generally is a dangerous thing so I’ve been told 😩. So l got to remembering how I started reading and enjoying Fel’s works. To put it into perspective I’m coming up to my seventieth birthday middle of next year and about 20 years ago computers and the internet were an amazing addition to my generation to explore beyond the horizons as Trekkies would say😉. Canis D had a site, Weave Spinner if I remember correctly. Any way I had come across it and being curious started to read. The rest is history and having joined the site in 2005 I’ve been very privileged to enjoy David Galloway’s journey. I just wished to say thank you to Fel and all the people who along the way have made this a great journey which will hopefully continue well into this millennium 🙏. Lastly I would wish you all Seasons Greetings may all your plans and preparations for the future come to fruition.
Be well.
Rob J.
RobJ
Katzh-dashi

Re: Remembering When

Post by RobJ »

And now I’m definitely going senile 😩😫. James forgive my idiotic forgetfulness no insult intended 🙏.
Rob
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

I am on the other end of the spectrum. I am a young Canadian from the cold Canadian prairies. I was just getting into fantasy back around the age of 12ish and I got the Inheritance cycle audiobooks from my sister. Next, I got the Wheel of Time audiobooks and once I finished them, I went back for more. Turns out she had these ebooks on her hard drive called the Firestaff Chronicles. I read them and they were awesome.
I spent the first 15ish years of my life with pretty much no internet access at all. I'm not sure what the timeline was on the rest of Fels books, but eventually I googled the Firestaff Chronicles and found some of his other works on weavespinner.net. I read Earth bond, Kit, Spirit Walker, and eventually Subjugation from that website. Fawks was keeping the site updated with the forum pretty well back then and I never really visited the forum.
Eventually, when Earth Bond chapter 24 came out, Fawks was late updating weavespinner.net, so I tried getting it from the forum, but for some reason that I still can't figure out, I couldn't downloaded it, which I thought was because I didn't have an account. So in early November of 2013, I created a joint account with my sister in order to download Earth24. My username is actually one my sister would have used, not me. I was 16 at the time. Today I am merely a quarter of a century old at 25 years of age and I've now been a fan of Fels writings for about half my life, despite joining this community late. I still check this forum daily and read pretty much every new post.

PS... even tho it was supposed to be a shared account, my sister never really used it and 100% of the posts are mine.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
RobJ
Katzh-dashi

Post by RobJ »

Hi Kyli
My father trained under the Commonwealth Air Training Scheme in a place called Waskesiu in Saskatchewan in 1940. I myself spent time in 2019 south of Ottawa at a place called Chaffey’s Lock Ontario . You live in a beautiful country. Hopefully l will be back there soon 🙏. Enjoy the journey the best years await you 👌
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Post by Belgarion213 »

...I'm trying to think when I stumbled upon Fel's fics, and having a hard time remembering (curse you memory!) I think it was around 2004-6, and I know I started with the Sennedar series, before also branching out to Subjugation. I THINK I might have seen Weavespinner on a recommended page on a web forum, but its been so long I can't quite remember. I do remember reading some of Fel's stuff, perhaps Fox and the House (his Forgotten Realms fic) after my university classes for the day, which was a nice treat.

What a long trip its been, but its been a fun one!
RobJ
Katzh-dashi

Post by RobJ »

Hi Belgarion213
Your comments put you in the middle ground so to speak😉. My mother was born in St Kilda 1922. I lived opposite Melbourne University opposite Tin Pan Alley as it was called and then South Melbourne in 1976. I follow Geelong Cats and every other team is from NZ😃. Enjoy the journey cousin 🥹
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

I remember where and when I learned of Fel, it was from a link on Monbade's Federation story site in 2007 and at the time having more time on my hands than I knew to do with, so I was finding stories in the internet and following links from there. Sadly it has been reported that Monbade passed away due to complications from diabetes and pneumonia.
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment
Kacoo
Initiate

Post by Kacoo »

Wow this brings back memories, started reading this stuff back in 2008 after following a link in the Talos Archives. Read the first book of Sennadar over the space of the next week with an average of >3 hrs sleep a night. Some of my most feverish reading done to these chapter. I may not come to the forum every day but I never miss visiting at least once a week.
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

My intro to this came from Monbade, Ice Phoenix or EWPub locations somewhere around 200/2003 I think. I lost a lot of sleep reading the books and have continued to do so through the years. I typically do a read through or listen to the Tarrin Kael series yearly via EPUBs I have or using a TTS reader for when I am in the car.

Keep them coming @Fel and many many thanks for the hours of enjoyable fiction and world building.

J-Man5
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

This has made me search for "NewNet" in the forums history and reminisce about old times

I was 13-14 or so when I first met Fel (I'm 39 now, so around 1996), I don't know how we met, but we were chatting on an IRC network called NewNet, probably both being trouble makers, and got talking about a book he was writing (I think Honour and Blood at the time?), and I've been hooked ever since.
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

Amazing apparently I joined April 07, 2006 at 10:54 pm.

I do remember that finding this website resulted in a few nights of no to little sleep while I devoured the Firestaff series and whatever else was available except for the Subjugation series. Which for whatever reason I held off reading until later, but did become one of my 2 favorite series.
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

I remember hearing about Fel on Electronic Wilderness Publishing (EWP) :shock:

When I Stared reading Subjugation was one chapter 1...and fel was working on writing the Pyrosian Chronicles. :D

At the Start i was but just a lurker here for 2003 into most of 2004 and then signed up for an account after several months (the old old board kept getting hacked back then) :roll:

When i found Subjugation it was still one of the One chapter story ideas Fel had posted in a Sub board.
it several months after that that i got bored one night and finaly read the Firestaff.
I wasn't in the medieval knights and wizard type stories (Wow) I ended up loving it. :wink:

Thank you Fel.
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

Phantom,

That’s one of the sites I came here from about the same time frame too. I still miss much of the original writing from the EWP days.

J-Man5
heustess
Katzh-dashi

Post by heustess »

Pretty sure EWP is how I found Fel back in the day. I can barely remember last week, let alone 18+ years ago. My profile is dated 2004, but I lurked and just read for a while, I am sure. Subjugation was not out yet. I was looking all over for stuff to read. No Royal Road or Top Web Fiction back in those days. You had to luck into finding good stuff.