Weavespinner.net is going off the air.

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Fawks
Sui'Kun
Location: DFW, Texas, USA, N. America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Weavespinner.net is going off the air.

Post by Fawks »

Let it be known,
Weavespinner.net website will not be up after the first of December. I know that I have not updated the website much in the last few year, but I was keeping it up so that readers could still access the books that were completed on there. Now with the GoDa$$y 1 year renewal coming up in December I was just looking up the renewal cost for another year. I just can't see myself paying One Hundred and Fifteen dollars a year for something I'm not keeping up. Sorry y'all, Its been a good run since January of 2006.

Fawks
Last edited by Fawks on Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.weavespinner.net

Still looking for an easy WYSIWYG html/web editor like Frontpage used to be.
Sherman
Novice

Re: Weavespinner.net is going off the air.

Post by Sherman »

There are free or really cheap options for static hosting available these days. Perhaps you may want to investigate those? Github pages, netlify or Cloudflare pages seem to be popular options.
Zor
Initiate

Post by Zor »

I could likely take it on for a year or two.

I have a AWS account. It would cost me a few dollars a month to host it in a S3 container.
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

Fawks wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:18 am Let it be known,
Weavespinner.net website will not be up after the first December. I know that I have not updated the website much in the last few year, but I was keeping it up so that readers could still access the books that were completed on there. Now with the GoDa$$y 1 year renewal coming up in December I was just looking up the renewal cost for another year. I just can't see myself paying One Hundred and Fifteen dollars a year for something I'm not keeping up. Sorry y'all, Its been a good run since January of 2006.

Fawks
This is something I've been meaning to ask you, do you mind if I host it a copy of the page as a subdomain under sennadar.com (books.sennadar.com for example)? Or would you be ok with me taking the blurbs and the book files and hosting on a new page under the same URL (I might do some redesign of the page, spruce it up a little)?

Additionally, if you're planning on letting the whole domain (Weavespinner.net) expire, would you consider transferring it to my namecheap account? Then I can put a redirect on it (for a year or two) to the new books.sennadar.com page so anyone who goes to the old links get redirected.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

Greymist wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:33 pm
This is something I've been meaning to ask you, do you mind if I host it a copy of the page as a subdomain under sennadar.com (books.sennadar.com for example)? Or would you be ok with me taking the blurbs and the book files and hosting on a new page under the same URL (I might do some redesign of the page, spruce it up a little)?
I can provide a zip file of all 9 Subjugation books with the cover of the Phoenix between two waves capped with a star like the Karinne logo. I think I also put a ToC in them if I recall correctly. I would do the same for the other books if I had a proper cover. That reminds me, how does online AI image generator work with copyright and image ownership? If someone can provide an image, and there are no legal problems, I could redo all the books.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
Isengrim
Initiate

Post by Isengrim »

You'll need to check the terms and conditions of the AI image generator to see who owns the image. In the case of DALL-E 2 it looks like OpenAI claims all images generated though unlimited non-commercial use is allowed. The AI can't hold the copyright, but it might be automatically held by the creator of the AI or the user. At the moment it's an open question.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

I got these two images from the nightcafe AI.
Attachments
KwvQoYlkb5tpQumsiisZ--1--7SXVH.jpg
R2bkxQt1meNLcYdhZM5S--1--CVW1C.jpg
Zor
Initiate

Post by Zor »

If you want to stick with phoenixes, this is generated with Midjourney. They do grant ownership to the creator.
Attachments
Zor_space_phoenix_flying_over_earth_4cede9fe-72f5-4293-bad6-a8cbe0c139bf_small.png
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

That's beautiful. It might technically work for Subjugation 1 since the Phoenix is the Legion symbol. For the rest of the books, the Phoenix is mostly just part of the Karinne symbol. I would prefer the same cover for every book or a different cover for every book. I am also looking for Sennadar covers. I might try and get some on my own when I have time.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

Double post here but I'm gonna post these images and a couple more in another thread instead and hopefully get more people to contribute.
Fawks
Sui'Kun
Location: DFW, Texas, USA, N. America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by Fawks »

Greymist wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:33 pm
Fawks wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:18 am Let it be known,
Weavespinner.net website will not be up after the first December. I know that I have not updated the website much in the last few year, but I was keeping it up so that readers could still access the books that were completed on there. Now with the GoDa$$y 1 year renewal coming up in December I was just looking up the renewal cost for another year. I just can't see myself paying One Hundred and Fifteen dollars a year for something I'm not keeping up. Sorry y'all, Its been a good run since January of 2006.

Fawks

Additionally, if you're planning on letting the whole domain (Weavespinner.net) expire, would you consider transferring it to my namecheap account? Then I can put a redirect on it (for a year or two) to the new books.sennadar.com page so anyone who goes to the old links get redirected.
Greymist,
I would not mind you using the website. The web hosting ends in the first few days of December. Send me a pm on how to transfer the web hosting to you. I still have the domain though I've been using a couple of email account with that domain name.

[/quote]

I can provide a zip file of all 9 Subjugation books with the cover of the Phoenix between two waves capped with a star like the Karinne logo. I think I also put a ToC in them if I recall correctly. I would do the same for the other books if I had a proper cover. That reminds me, how does online AI image generator work with copyright and image ownership? If someone can provide an image, and there are no legal problems, I could redo all the books.
[/quote]

kyli,
That sounds good to me. I only threw those books together because they were quick and dirty. I already had a master word document with the title/chapter##/eof links and only needed to copy/paste the chapters into it and format the title and it was done. Of course that was way before Word became much more user friendly for internet and eBook formatting.

I think that since 2006 the domain and website hosting wound up costing over $1,000 U.S. I wonder if that would ever get me a free hard back of the Tarrin or Subjugation books? Nah. ;)

Fawks.
www.weavespinner.net

Still looking for an easy WYSIWYG html/web editor like Frontpage used to be.