Chapter 28

Discussions all around the Earth Bond/Kell the dragon story.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Chapter 28

Post by Belgarion213 »

So, we get a chapter 28 and its a pretty nice one. Learning to fly, the fact that Earth Dragons can use their aura to imbue plants/animals etc.

I've always thought that the Earth Dragon magic was more to manipulate the way magic flows out of them rather than the spells that the other dragons created.

I have to admit that I rather like the Chromatic female and that water dragon female more than our protagonist's mate, but she's still fun enough.

It's interesting to see that the empathy brought on by the Earth Dragon connection to Gaia makes it hard to kill even mindless fish. It's an interesting development.

So there are lots of human magicians out there. I wonder if the Dragons are looking further afield than just working with President Walker. I mean yeah teaming up with the USA for the moment is much preferable than working with China (especially with them threatening the island), but at least the Department should have known about the USA's less than perfect record over the years (I'm talking about CIA regime change and military interventions here). I don't doubt that Jenny and Walker at least are honest and working to the best of their ability with no plans to screw the dragons over, but having somebody to play counter to the USA instead of all magicians going through them would probably be preferable in my view.

Though this chapter brings up an interesting point. It's mentioned in this chapter that there are first generation Chromatics who were hatchlings when the dragons moved to the island. When the Earth Dragons began to get oppressed and treated like slave animals, did these dragons just not care, or were they racist asses like the Chromatic Councilmember who set up the entire start of the plot? Or did the Earth Dragons 'subjugation' to coin a term happen BEFORE they came to the island, though how that could happen I'm not sure.

It's interesting to see that the Chromatic's have that long a lifespan, how long do Earth Dragons live again? I forget, and does it change with the creation of familiars and the transmutation to that crystal-like horns/tail spikes.

In any case, things are moving forward now, as more and ore Earth dragons are slowly being able to fly/use their magic.

I'll be interested in seeing what the end result of the Earth Dragons imbuing their power in those animals that Kell mentioned didn't seem to do anything. My thought is that is going to eventaully lead to magical creatures.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Re: Chapter 28

Post by kyli »

Belgarion213 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:28 am Though this chapter brings up an interesting point. It's mentioned in this chapter that there are first generation Chromatics who were hatchlings when the dragons moved to the island. When the Earth Dragons began to get oppressed and treated like slave animals, did these dragons just not care, or were they racist asses like the Chromatic Councilmember who set up the entire start of the plot? Or did the Earth Dragons 'subjugation' to coin a term happen BEFORE they came to the island, though how that could happen I'm not sure.

It's interesting to see that the Chromatic's have that long a lifespan, how long do Earth Dragons live again? I forget, and does it change with the creation of familiars and the transmutation to that crystal-like horns/tail spikes.
It is the current older Chromatic generations' parents that were hatchlings when they moved, and the breakup with the Earth Dragons probably started even before that at Camelot. The Chromatics blamed the earth dragons to a certain degree for the humans turning against them and at some point it was decided that they had to keep the Earth Dragons connection to magic a secret to protect them. The next generation of Chromatics after that would have heard from their parents how the Earth Dragons needed to be protected, but weren't told the real reason, so they started to look down at them as inferior even against their parents teaching. Its easy to imagine how it could happen over just a few generations.

Earth Dragons live to about 300 give or take.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Post by Belgarion213 »

Oh that makes a bit more sense, yeah. I was overestimating some of the Sage's Ages.

I wonder how old the Council Chromatic was? He was no sage but he seemed the most hostile towards Earth Dragons than near anybody on the island, with the possible exception of that Sky Dragon Wyrm Kell killed while he was on the Council.

I've recently reread the series and its just as fun as always. That said I'm kind of bummed out that Kell can't tether himself to other dragons like he could with humans. I thought for sure that there would be a way to do that, but I guess not.

I'm really interested in the way that Earth Dragon magic can boost magic being cast like Kell did, that was really interesting, and has some pretty neat implications.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

Belgarion213 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:16 pm
I'm really interested in the way that Earth Dragon magic can boost magic being cast like Kell did, that was really interesting, and has some pretty neat implications.
Yeah, I think a few dozon earth dragons could help fuel almost any huge spell at any time without knocking everyone down. And there might be possible spells for doing things that no one has considered simply because they take too much energy.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I wonder if a group ritual would be a way to by pass the restriction that only the magician that uses the amulet, is the only one able to place further enchantments. If the magician is involved, the amulet would percieve the ritual as being cast by its true owner. If the amulets are secure, it offers a measure of safety to the covens as they develop. The whole reason the dragons are binding them are to get the power of flight for safety. If they start loosing the tethered magicians unnecessarily, it would mess with the project. I wonder how many different spells can be laid down on the amulet, as well how many other spells could be bound that don't ensure its safety. There must be spells that most magicians can but don't add, due to limited, time, energy, resources etc. but with the restoration of human magicians, their skills and abilities will likely be greatly explored and examined by the sages.

With the great availability of primary foci, and the discovery of the power boosting effect of fully tethered earth dragons, the dragons can practice more of their highest order magics. Magics that are permanent. With the revelation of dragons to the world, those powerful magics could be instrumental in ensuring the security of their island, species and magic it self. Since the boost only enhances magics cast by co operating casters, this will cause the magicians of the island to work closer and more often together.

What potential boon might a participating earth dragon recieve? I could see boons limit to rituals involving a tail spike as the foci. Just as rhe dragon is tethered to its coven, could be be tethered to the spell? Kell just help help set up a scion, imagine if he gained the ability to travel back to it at will. The ultimate escape ability for a field agent.

The whole generator motion enchantment will be very useful, making magic into a new renewable energy source. If there is a simple magic to purify water or remove salt from it, that would be invaluable for farming, irrigation and greening the desert. There are whole charities set up to try and provide clean water for all, it would be great publicity. If they control the weather, how well can they predict it.
What materials were the best conductors of magic I forget? Those are likely easiest to shape via magic. That could be a valuable industry. If I remember correctly, platinum, sulfur, Mercury, iron, copper, silver, gold, salt, crystals and gemstones. A sage was able to magicly remove and add grams of these metals from amulets. I bet scying or locating these materials is simple.
Many of these materials can be forged into orichulum. I wonder if synthetic crystals and gemstones can be useful in magic.
I wish I could see a way for magic to enhance or aid the space industry, but the distances involved and the fact they leave Gaia makes me think it just not gonna happen.
I want to see Kell adapt his jet pack designs for flight capable earth dragons. Prisma could cast magics to enhance it.
.S.A.M.K.M
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Post by Belgarion213 »

Yeah, we haven't got much mention of Kell mentioning he was working on his jetpack powered earth dragon idea for a while. With Earth Dragons now being light enough to get into the air, could be pretty cool. I bet the Sky Dragons would love it, they are already such good flyers and now they can go SUPER fast.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

It would be awesome if some how the dragons made achieving orbit cheaper/easier, so get the support of the space industry and those eager about magic.
.S.A.M.K.M
kabalman2000
Sorcerer

Post by kabalman2000 »

Re: New scion:
"Kell had his place in this ritual, in two ways. Firstly, it was one of his tail spikes that would serve as the spell’s focus, the crystal to which the complex and powerful spell would be locked, and yesterday the sages had spent nearly six hours carefully studying his 17 spikes to pick the best one to use."

Why would they use Kell's tail spike as the new scion's primary focus when back in chapter 11 Fourth of the Senior Class reads (Primary Focus) "P.F. crystals linked to living donor—donor death unanchors P.F. but can reanchor. Use P.F.s for permanent high-order spells from dead donors whenever possible to prevent re-anchoring process."? It's not like they didn't have the previous nine spikes from the old scions. Does Fel have something interesting planned?
Rakshasa claw
Initiate

Post by Rakshasa claw »

kabalman2000 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:19 am Re: New scion:
"Kell had his place in this ritual, in two ways. Firstly, it was one of his tail spikes that would serve as the spell’s focus, the crystal to which the complex and powerful spell would be locked, and yesterday the sages had spent nearly six hours carefully studying his 17 spikes to pick the best one to use."

Why would they use Kell's tail spike as the new scion's primary focus when back in chapter 11 Fourth of the Senior Class reads (Primary Focus) "P.F. crystals linked to living donor—donor death unanchors P.F. but can reanchor. Use P.F.s for permanent high-order spells from dead donors whenever possible to prevent re-anchoring process."? It's not like they didn't have the previous nine spikes from the old scions. Does Fel have something interesting planned?
Pretty sure they used his because of the implications of his magic been "awakened" so they were trying to determine any effects it would have on making things like new scions. I think the chapter discusses this and it's very much a conscious choice.