Earth Bond chapter 25, [SPOILERS]

Discussions all around the Earth Bond/Kell the dragon story.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

kyli
Mi'Shara

Earth Bond chapter 25, [SPOILERS]

Post by kyli »

Its been quite a while since we got something new from Earth Bond, (since before i joined the forum actually) and it was nice to read more. Thanks a lot, Fel.

Now reading this chapter sparked a couple questions about the island cloaking magic. Why didnt Jenny see the island before they landed? I thought she was permanently immune to the magic after her first visit. I know the spell had to be recast but i thought it said in an earlier chapter that she would still be immune.

Another question is, why are cameras and recording devices on the island capable of picking up the island, or is it because the magic consideres them part of the island and if so, will those recording devices also be permanently immune to the cloaking magic?

Now i also wonder if the possibility of having a human linked to multiple earth dragons is something the sages looked into? I suspect it won't work but it would solve the magician shortage problem if i did work. Maybe it might work on a limited basis, depending on a magicians strength. Since its the magicians magic that counters the earth dragons mass, and since it seems that each magician gives the same amount to each bond, maybe the more powerful magicians can link to a few earth dragons. The problem i see though, is that earth dragons also have to give an equal amount, and if one earth dragon already supplies the "fountain of youth", then the second earth dragon can't provide it. I doubt that it would increase the longevity even more since if the human out-lives the dragon, the bond would anyway be broken.

And that brings me to another question. What happens to the human when the bonded earth dragon dies? And also, could a human magician live forever by rebonding to a earth dragon every couple hundred years?
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Re: Earth Bond chapter 25, [SPOILERS]

Post by Belgarion213 »

One thing I'm kind of scratching my head about was the end, when we learned that he could fly and then asks the elders to craft a device to stop him doing so...that kind of threw me. His reasons is kind of 'if i can't do it, I won't experiment and blow it open' is sound if a bit weird but I still have a issue with it. The Earth Dragons have been all but enslaved for centuries now, and immediately he asks for a device to stop a Earth Dragon from flying.

After the Earth Dragons JUST came out (victorious) from the conflict with the Chromatics and the other dragons, after their farms and their infrastructure was raised to the ground. Sure the dragons NOW know that they need the Earth Dragons for magic but still, it just kind of threw me into a loop that he specifically asked for it.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

Kammi will realize that Kell bonded the humans pretty quickly i think. Kell no longer has spikes and when they grow back, they will be red if it happens the same way it did the first time with Julia. And i'm pretty sure when Kell releases the red spikes, it activates the human side of the bond. IIRC, that is when Julia's bond activated though it might have been a coincidence. And since Kammi was there when it was discovered that earth dragons might be able to fly, it shouldn't take her long to make the connection.
Belgarion213 wrote:One thing I'm kind of scratching my head about was the end, when we learned that he could fly and then asks the elders to craft a device to stop him doing so...that kind of threw me. His reasons is kind of 'if i can't do it, I won't experiment and blow it open' is sound if a bit weird but I still have a issue with it. The Earth Dragons have been all but enslaved for centuries now, and immediately he asks for a device to stop a Earth Dragon from flying.

After the Earth Dragons JUST came out (victorious) from the conflict with the Chromatics and the other dragons, after their farms and their infrastructure was raised to the ground. Sure the dragons NOW know that they need the Earth Dragons for magic but still, it just kind of threw me into a loop that he specifically asked for it.
Earth dragons are very social and very much more about unity then individual success. Dont compare them with the average human. Kell is afraid that this will tear earth dragon society apart. I dont think him asking for such a device is far off character when looking at it from an earth dragon point of view.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I still want to know if the formula can be adapted for other elemental immunities, and if so, can earth dragons use these oils? I wonder if there might be a formula for other magical aspects. While all dragons are magical, they are not all magicians. The water, fire and sky dragons are not all magicians, but all have elemental abilities. That implies that they are different expressions of power. We know that earth dragons can not be magicians, but they do express magical power. I wonder if they could make a formula to temporarily grant elemental ability.

I wonder if they could make other talismans silica to the amulets, but instead of increasing a magicians ability, it would be focused for a specific spell. It would allow a magical that does not know, or yet capable of casting a spell, cast the spell when needed. It might allow human magicians to more easily secure their amulets.

An idea to help countries to recruit magicians, offer scholarships or repayment of student loans for those that are willing to learn. I am hoping they could make a crystal that glows in the hands of a magician. That would be a simple solution to the search.

Why has there been no mention of dragons being linked to spikes? Their hides are thick enough that I doubt it could happen by accident. And in battle, those spikes would always be seperated from the dragon. It might not be just any dragon, it might need actual magicians. It would not grant all dragon flight, but enough to help just for now.
.S.A.M.K.M
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Belgarion213 wrote:One thing I'm kind of scratching my head about was the end, when we learned that he could fly and then asks the elders to craft a device to stop him doing so...that kind of threw me. His reasons is kind of 'if i can't do it, I won't experiment and blow it open' is sound if a bit weird but I still have a issue with it. The Earth Dragons have been all but enslaved for centuries now, and immediately he asks for a device to stop a Earth Dragon from flying.

Kell is VERY concerned that something like this has the potential to destroy earth dragon society. You have to understand how something like this can alter everything, even at its most basic level.

Think about humanity. Imagine, for a moment, that in a flash of light, every single human being on the planet was suddenly telekinetic. Imagine how it would fundamentally alter the basic operation of our society. And for a simple example, consider something like a convenience store. How do you prevent theft when someone can stand outside the building and float your merchandise out the open door in a way you can't easily see or prevent? And even if you do catch the merchandise flying out of your shop, just WHO did it? After all, the suspects are...every single person within sight of you.

Now put yourself in Kell's shoes and think about things a little while.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I kinda hope Kell adapts his jet pack designs to augement flight capable earth dragons. Right now it is said that earth dragons need to be very physically fit, so these units would lessen this pressure. While flight capable, it is guessed their flight ability would be a lesser form, similar to water dragons. It would be cool if he gets Prisma to enchant it as part of her project of integrating tech and science.
Those spikes that were exposed to human blood. I wonder if they now posses unique properties. Those spikes are usually primary focus, use to create permanent effects/spells.

There are three magical aspects for dragons, an immunity, elemental abilities and being a magician. The sky, fire and water dragons have all immunity, ability, but only some are magicians. All chromatic dragons are magicians. While earth dragons have immunity, they can't be magicians, I wonder why no earth ability. We know there are some, they are just very high order magics. It is said Kell might develop more from the bond. What if all earth dragons can manipulate earth, but due to their high order nature, they need the boost provided by all 17 spike links to actually use the ability.
It is believed that earth dragons can prolong the life of magics. The immunity oil is said to be temporary on others, imagine if earth dragons once exposed are permanent. They could have not only their own immunity, but the immunities of all dragons. I wonder how many other oils and potions could be similarly applied and used. Since this needs only a magical hand not training, earth dragons could become proficient in this art.
.S.A.M.K.M