Conviction Ch 1 [Spoilers]

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
betatester
Katzh-dashi

Conviction Ch 1 [Spoilers]

Post by betatester »

Fel; first of all great work loved the chapter.
But with the Syndicate only 4 months away and with the Karinnes still haven't perfected the torsion diffuser, the confederation would take losses from Syndicate fleet. even if you perfect it next chapter it will still take time for everyone in the confederation to upgrade. Also have you considered what the diffusers does on other empire power systems. It causes problems in Karinne Singularity plants; maybe other empires would have more or less problems with their power systems.

Great use of all the remote operators to increase efficiency in industry. I know you said no clone wars style droids but you could go that route. Consortium uses insects grown specifically to fight wars for them.

Also can we get the total number of ships in the karinne fleet(with breakdown of number ships in each class) and whats their target fleet size to fight the consortium.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Re: Conviction Ch 1 [Spoilers]

Post by kyli »

Awesome Chapter!! I love it when these chapters are longer then usual!

Both the FTL hyperdrive and the diffuser have problems with the power system. Makes me wonder if Myleena will come up with a brand new, more advanced, power system. Either way, I'm betting that whatever the solution is, it will work for both of the FTL hyperdrive and the diffuser, even though both problems are very different. I also think that the Karinnes won't be sharing their diffuser with the rest of the Confederation. They will probably just give them the syndicate diffusers which probably won't be half as good. I really hope Myleena solves the problem in the next chapter! 8)

I didn't expect the Confederation to grow so much! It's almost insane!! And I really didn't expect the Ruu! I won't mind learning more about them. The Kimdori should find out about their secret tech and see just how advanced it is and what they could learn. That is, if they can go undetected. Their sensors are probably pretty advanced and might prevent the Kimdori from going undetected. They seem pretty paranoid. I wonder if the Karinnes and the Ruu will trade some tech.

And what are "Coalition disrupors"? They're mentioned twice and I'm wondering what type of weapon it is, or is it some kind of defensive system?
betatester wrote:Also can we get the total number of ships in the karinne fleet(with breakdown of number ships in each class) and whats their target fleet size to fight the consortium.
I was looking for a count throughout the chapter. Was slightly disappointed when there wasn't one.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
betatester
Katzh-dashi

Post by betatester »

First I also thought that Myleena would come up with a brand new power system, but the problem with that is that they would have to overhaul their entire existing fleet to replace the power systems to make at least the diffusers work. They can just build an entire separate fleet with the trans-light hyperdrive to attack syndicate; which they probably wouldn't tell the confederation about. So that they wouldn't guess that the karinnes have cracked the intergalactic barrier.

I think myleena would just come up with a new meta or hyper phased striation of plasma to power them without moving away from plasma power

Also if the karrines need to reverse engineer syndicate diffusers; first they would need to capture a syndicate ship intact during battle or covertly and that would be tough. Plus the time it takes to reverse engineer a syndicate diffuser and then the time to upgrade confederation fleet, it would just be better if they fought without one and just keep at range and mobile and use consortium tactics against them.

Yes confederation has grown huge and when an assembly grows too big, they are always mired in paperwork, routines and procedures. It basically becomes bloated and inefficient.
kyli wrote:
And what are "Coalition disrupors"? They're mentioned twice and I'm wondering what type of weapon it is, or is it some kind of defensive system?
Coalition disruptors, I think its basically a beam weapon that would disrupt shields used by defence forces of the member species of Coalition.
kyli wrote: I was looking for a count throughout the chapter. Was slightly disappointed when there wasn't one.
I was also looking for the number of weapon systems on Tianne, but all we got to know was that it had 2 GRAF cannons and a CMOM, but both GRAF cannons couldn't fire at the same time. Karinne normal capital ships(Aegis) also couldn't fire their other weapon systems when the GRAF cannon was engaged unless it was powered at 5% power. Sounds to me like Karrine capital ships are underpowered. Why does Palla need a six bedroom cabin and the exo 4 bedroom, plus i am guessing other officers generous living spaces; thats a waste of space that could have been used better by putting more singularity plants that would be used to powering weapons.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Disruptors are Coalition weapons, thus "Coalition Disruptors." They operate similar to Torsion weaponry in that their beam cannot be stopped by solid matter.

Any solid matter the disruptor hits is disintigrated by disrupting its molecular bonds. They also disrupt energy matrixes, so if they hit a power conduit or energized piece of equipment, they make it explode violently. The effect Disruptors have on phased energy, like metaphased plasma, is downright spectacular.

Only energy shields can stop a Disruptor, be them soft or hard, and those shields have to be multiphased to stand up to a Disruptor for more than one shot. Disruptor beams are similar to MPACs and Pulse weaponry in that they are "phased." They exist in multiple quantum states simultaneously. Usually a phased weapon will go right through standard shields, but that's not the case in a Disruptor. The drawback of a Disruptor is that its quantum state unravels if any one phase of its beam is stopped. Because of this, any shield, even a single phase shield, can stop a Disruptor. But, similar to an MPAC's effect on multiphased shields, a Disruptor's raw power will knock down single phase shields in just one hit.

Disruptors are the main reason why the Coalition has some of the most advanced shield technology in the galaxy. The last thing they want is to face a pirate ship armed with their own weapons, so they designed shields to stand up to them.

While it may seem that they're a poor man's version of a Torsion weapon, a Disruptor's beam can't be diffused, and it's a phased weapon, so the Karinnes see real worth in the weapon. If you don't have strong multiphased shields, a Disruptor will tear you apart in a heartbeat.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

betatester wrote:First I also thought that Myleena would come up with a brand new power system, but the problem with that is that they would have to overhaul their entire existing fleet to replace the power systems to make at least the diffusers work.
I was thinking that that just installing a new power plant for the diffusers and hyperspace engine would work if they find room for it and leave the current power system in place. But I just realized that it won't work since the diffusers will still diffuse the spacial warp around the other power systems in the ship. I guess I wasn't thinking.

How would using broadcast power work with the diffusers? Build an HUGE singularity power plant and build a HUGE ship to put it in and have that ship broadcast power to all Karinne ships that activate the diffuser in a battle. :lol: I wonder if using broadcast power would prevent the fatal quantum anomaly to feed back into the power system with the FTL drive. Jason did say that the solution to many problems were just so simple! :lol:
Fel wrote:Disruptors are Coalition weapons, thus "Coalition Disruptors." They operate similar to Torsion weaponry in that their beam cannot be stopped by solid matter.
Does the Disruptor have a shorter or longer range then Torsion weaponry or is it the same?
MartinK
Da'Shar

Post by MartinK »

kyli wrote:How would using broadcast power work with the diffusers? Build an HUGE singularity power plant and build a HUGE ship to put it in and have that ship broadcast power to all Karinne ships that activate the diffuser in a battle. :lol: I wonder if using broadcast power would prevent the fatal quantum anomaly to feed back into the power system with the FTL drive. Jason did say that the solution to many problems were just so simple! :lol:
The range would be a bit limited, wouldn't it? They have to use plenty of broadcast locations around Karis, so i wouldn't be surprised if even the strongest broadcasting device on a huge ship wasn't able to reach another ship if it were not directly next to each other. A few miles/kilometer are nothing in an environment where distance is measured in lightyears. Quite apart from that, a huge ship makes for a huge target - and since it can't use diffusers itself, using it would rather defeat the purpose of diffusers.

So, the most simple solution would be to use another power source. But since it seems that power systems are all based on plasma and only got increasingly efficient with phasing and some such that also seems like a very difficult solution. At least the diffuser will be part of the tech that all partners get and use, so introducing a more powerful source of power becomes questionable in terms of problems created by it in the future. Oh, not to mention that all ships had to be replaced by new ones, the creation and distribution of power is one of the things that ships get specially designed for.

On the other hand, simply for the quantum anomaly, perhaps jumping backwards to less sophisticated technology would help. Of course, you have less power for your use, but even if you have to go back to hyperspace jumps that aren't in real time anymore... if you combine them with FTL, wouldn't they still be faster than before? Or maybe use a catapult for those ships and just put enough power and tech on the ship to stay in hyperspace while engaging the FTL drive.

I wonder, perhaps the hyperspace catapult could be build to act like a ship if not in use. That way two of them together would get anywhere. No, damn, strike that, the second one couldn't get away without the first ones help after arrival. So a disposable solution to be destroyed if used behind enemy lines perhaps?
What does a signature tell us about a person that has a signature significantly longer than the text he posted in his last post?
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

MartinK wrote:The range would be a bit limited, wouldn't it? They have to use plenty of broadcast locations around Karis, so i wouldn't be surprised if even the strongest broadcasting device on a huge ship wasn't able to reach another ship if it were not directly next to each other. A few miles/kilometer are nothing in an environment where distance is measured in lightyears. Quite apart from that, a huge ship makes for a huge target - and since it can't use diffusers itself, using it would rather defeat the purpose of diffusers.
I believe you are wrong about the range of Karinne broadcast power. An strong broadcast station on Kosigi can, I believe, power something on Karis.

This is why they use so many broadcast locations on Karis.
Tribulation Chapter 1 wrote:“Damn,” Jenny breathed. “What kind of range will it have?”
“The math says we have to limit the energy broadcasts to short and medium range Teryon frequencies,” he answered. “Long range frequency blocks introduce too much distortion into the metaphased plasma to allow it to be demodulated and used. So if I adapt it to medium range Teryon blocks, a power transmitter on Kosigi could power all of Karis. Odds are I won‟t do that, though. I‟d rather use a series of seventeen short-range broadcast nodes scattered over the planet and Kosigi, so we‟re not depending on one power source.
betatester
Katzh-dashi

Post by betatester »

Karinnes are using broadcast power for low power solutions. They are still using physical plasma conduits for industrial applications(ie heavy power use). They would have broadcast power on the ships for all the interfaces and other portable devices(laptops, data pads etc). but if they use broadcast power to power engines or diffusers they would need massive transmitters and receivers. They first version of the diffusers used like 75% of a ships power that is a massive power sink. even if they have increased the efficiency it would still be a big power hog.

I think its going to be a new higher or exotic phase state of plasma that they would end up with. It doesn't change the underlying architecture. They would just need to change striation filter or a new plasma phase change or something like that to implement it across their fleet. But that would still not solve the problem for confederation fleets. For that I think they would rely on either the Kimdori stealing it from Andromeda or capturing a ship and reverse engineering syndicate's solution
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

The diffuser might not effect singularity plants. There was mentions that gravity systems are a kind of spatial manipulation. Most races used that, except for those ion power empires the karrinnes found, they found an alternate gravity systems not based on spartial tech.

If they are looking for a power system ask the Ruu. If you can not flatten the effect, can you use the shockwave weapon to mess it up. The syndicate is said to have a lower tech level to the consortium, but they gained their tech and created the diffuser.

Can the disrupted tech allow for asteroids to be quickly broken up, then it could be collected up for processing? The disrupter system would allow them to keep a military edge in the future, and be great when they head for andromeda.

Why not they offe the kimdori a CBIM for their home system? It would really help them out, and it would be safe
The tech the karrinnes can share I'll soon be restricted, they won't be able to risk the syndicate getting it.

What if you create a updated version of the galactic hyperspace catapult the consortium had? Once up to speed, then activate the trans light. That might lessen the need of power.

Those jacked games are likely huge in the military since the armed forces got the priority. So great way to get them working together. The generations are the only kids able to access those games. So make a child friendly version just for the family.

The plan was for the karrinnes and possibly the kimdori, will the Ruu be invited? They are advanced enough for the best tech.
They might be able to match the syndicate in terms of ship numbers, but can they match them in combat telepathy?
.S.A.M.K.M
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

betatester wrote:Karinnes are using broadcast power for low power solutions. They are still using physical plasma conduits for industrial applications(ie heavy power use). They would have broadcast power on the ships for all the interfaces and other portable devices(laptops, data pads etc). but if they use broadcast power to power engines or diffusers they would need massive transmitters and receivers. They first version of the diffusers used like 75% of a ships power that is a massive power sink. even if they have increased the efficiency it would still be a big power hog.
A factory doesn't move. So it would be stupid to set it up to use broadcast power instead of physical plasma conduits. The same applies to most "industrial applications or heavy power use". You may be right, but I don't think so. Just because they don't use it as much for big things doesn't mean that they can't use it. Not every ship would have the diffuser running most of the time anyway. And as for protecting the power source, I've been wondering for a while whether it was possible to broadcast power through a stable one way wormhole. 8)
betatester
Katzh-dashi

Post by betatester »

kyli wrote: A factory doesn't move. So it would be stupid to set it up to use broadcast power instead of physical plasma conduits. The same applies to most "industrial applications or heavy power use". You may be right, but I don't think so. Just because they don't use it as much for big things doesn't mean that they can't use it. Not every ship would have the diffuser running most of the time anyway. And as for protecting the power source, I've been wondering for a while whether it was possible to broadcast power through a stable one way wormhole. 8)
I never said they can't use it. In fact I remember reading when they were developing broadcast power that if they used it for industrial applications, it would cause undue stress on the power transmitters; that's y they decided to use physical conduits for heavy uses. but Karinnes still decided to use broadcast power as a backup for CBIMs

It might be possible to transfer power through a wormhole; But again Fel established that wormholes can't exist in a gravity well. Also where would you put it to use, that you can't use another source of power. If its in a ship then that ship won't have that power source whenever its in orbit of planet.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

betatester wrote:It might be possible to transfer power through a wormhole; But again Fel established that wormholes can't exist in a gravity well. Also where would you put it to use, that you can't use another source of power. If its in a ship then that ship won't have that power source whenever its in orbit of planet.
I'm sure it could be broadcast far enough to reach a wormhole. And if it can't, that's what relays are for. The relay picks up the broadcast power and re-broadcasts it.

I've been wondering if you need the FTL drive to maintain FTL speed in hyperspace once you reach FTL. In real space it's a must, but hyperspace is different and some rules are different. I'm just wondering if a trans-light hyperspace catapult were possible. If I were to guess, the answer is no, it isn't possible; but I can't help liking the idea.

And 54 light years is an hour! That's fast! It would only take like 77 or so years (Edit: Sorry I mean to say days. My mistake.) to cross the galaxy from one edge to the other! :lol: Still it's 81 times better then the FTL drives they got from the Hrathari.
MartinK
Da'Shar

Post by MartinK »

kyli wrote:I've been wondering if you need the FTL drive to maintain FTL speed in hyperspace once you reach FTL. In real space it's a must, but hyperspace is different and some rules are different. I'm just wondering if a trans-light hyperspace catapult were possible. If I were to guess, the answer is no, it isn't possible; but I can't help liking the idea.
The FTL drive was build to move faster than light in real space. No more and no less than that. Now, since it is possible to use the FTL drive in hyperspace for a similar result that we get in real space, it must mean that at least in this case, hyperspace behaves close enough to real space to allow it. Logic tells us that the FTL drive must be active continuously, just as it is in real space, to make use of that speed increase.
What does a signature tell us about a person that has a signature significantly longer than the text he posted in his last post?
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I had an idea that it might even be possible to combine all three FTL systems hyper, translight and warp. The warp reduces mass and phases the object so that only some forms of energy can affect it. We know that apparently it is said to be possible to go to hyper drive while in such a state. The issue for translight and hyper, is power. What if combining warp, allows energy to be saved?
.S.A.M.K.M
betatester
Katzh-dashi

Post by betatester »

kyli wrote: I'm sure it could be broadcast far enough to reach a wormhole. And if it can't, that's what relays are for. The relay picks up the broadcast power and re-broadcasts it.
So you want to broadcast power to a wormhole & then a relay picks up that transmitted power and re broadcasts it. Where would you use that power? & why?.

I can only think up a scenario that would involve two deep space stargates(at least 10000km from any planetary gravity well) that would transmit that power and again a broadcast transmitter to broadcast that power on the other side of the wormhole. If you are using it to power ships then this is a horrible waste and inefficient method. One just needs to kill the receiving stargate or the broadcast transmitter on the other side and all the ships what were powered by it would be floating space junk.

I think the only scenario this setup would suit is if they needed to power nanites on the other side of the wormhole and even for that scenario; Karinnes should developed specialized stargates, small, portable & easily disposable stargates that would just allow them to just power nanites on the receiving side of the wormhole.
SYED wrote:I had an idea that it might even be possible to combine all three FTL systems hyper, translight and warp. The warp reduces mass and phases the object so that only some forms of energy can affect it. We know that apparently it is said to be possible to go to hyper drive while in such a state. The issue for translight and hyper, is power. What if combining warp, allows energy to be saved?
The issue with power system was not a lack of energy, but when they engaged Translight in hyperspace it introduced a quantum anomaly in the power system which knocked the plasma out of its meta-phased state and the resulting hot plasma blew the conduit. They are generating enough power to power the damn engines.

I think that Fel would just create a new exotic phase state of plasma which would solve the problem and maybe if Fel is feeling generous this new exotic plasma state would also result in a power boost.
Seriously though Karinne capital ships are under powered.

I was re-reading chapter 1 again last night and was wondering how would Coma compare to other CBIMs in regards to her psionic capabilities especially telekinesis(range and power).

The karinnes now have 4 mecha in their inventory Gladiators, Juggernauts, Titans and Rockers. Before Conviction Gladiators were the fast and agile mecha and Juggernauts were the Slow but more powerful tank/artillery version of mecha. Now the new Titans combine both Gladiator and Juggernaut features into 1 beast of mecha. Rockers are basically the mobile infantry mecha and all these 4 mecha can be remote piloted via biogenic commune.
So why would the karinnes need to put actual soldiers into a battlefield. I understand that the mecha perform best when the piloted by actual people physically instead of by remote commune. but by not putting people on a battlefield they would also save lives of actual karinne soldiers & house members and I understood that Jason was all about having the least number of casualities resulting from a battle.
If mecha performance efficiency was an issue just deploy larger numbers of mecha; afterall quantity is a quality of its own. And since Myleena has developed the sensor mesh matrix system that enables touch senses when wearing in a crusader armor; why not extend the system to the mecha's as well. That would enable riggers and pilots to get actual touch sense signals from the mecha; which in turn would result in better combat ability.