Cyberjack and its issues

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Cyberjack and its issues

Post by Belgarion213 »

Or rather: How Jason is really not paying attention here.

I know this is a bit late but honestly it took me a while to get some free time to sit down and do a complete re-read of this series (and for what its worth I really liked it.) However it came to this last story and Jason's thought on the Cyberjack and I just raised my eyebrow. Jason even references Ghost in the Shell (though ehe's probably referring to the Movie rather than Stand Alone Complex which is a bit of a shame really.)

FOlr what its wroth the Cyberjack is not as easily easily hacked as the Cyber-brain but still I think Jason is REALLY underestimating the changes that the Jack will have on society at large. I mean I know in the last chapter there was talk of mandatory use of them in the Navy but that's not even really scratching the surface of a widespread AFFORDABLE cyberjack is going to have on society at large.

I do hope some of this is actually explored because while I like the focus on the war with the Andromeda Galaxy's inhabitants the transformation from Earth is something I think needs a bit more focus. Earth, Terra now, has gone from a backwards planet to having the most advanced research academy (other than Karris) in the galaxy. The sheer knockoff effect from that would have a STAGGERING amount of bleedover. Even more so when your bringing about technical technopathy via the Cyberjack.

The Wolf is just the first of a new breed of ships. We saw a bit of that with the new Exomech's but I doubt that's going to stay long unique to Karris.

Right now the Cyberjack, as per Jason's talk with the other leaders and the Empress's bodyguards was that it CAN'T be used to take over somebody's body. How long before sometbody tries to make one that CAN be used (aka Shadowrun Skillsofts.)

More disturbingly the sheer level of potential abuse that the CURRENT capabilities imply is kind of horrifying. Everybody was thrilled when the Cyberjack could override sensory input for Hyperspace travel...but with TOTAL override of bodily sensory input...I hope there's an override in there somewhere because you either have the potential for Shadowrun style Black Ice (aka burn out your brain) or just mess with somebody's senses (Oh I can input physical sensations into your nervous system? This is the sensation of being burned alive. Oh and this is total sensory isolation.)

the millitary is going to change to, if only by necessity. I'm sure SOMEBODY is going to have the bright idea to try and use the Cyberjack for military use. If your plugging into the Powerarmour, or a Exomech or a Fighter you now ARE the fighter. More you can transmit and receive information faster than anything like looking at the screen and using a joystick. If say you have a fighter that has two MPAC guns facing forward as well as a few hardpoints to fire misses, that's good. However since you ARE the ship, why don't you get two beach ball sized drones with a engine and a MPAC that can be used to fire from different angles. You have a perfect 3D understanding of space around your ship because you ARE the ship and your using its sensors, more you can aim with the computer assisted drones...

I know a lot of these are a bit unfeasible its just Jason's dismissive attitude towards the STAGGERING changes the cyberjack would bring about raised my eyebrow, especially as I was playing through System Shock 2 and watching Ghost in the Shell again when I finished reading.

Sorry for rambling.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Re: Cyberjack and its issues

Post by kyli »

Belgarion213 wrote: Jason is REALLY underestimating the changes that the Jack will have on society at large.
Jason knows the cyberjack will have a HUGE effect. He just thinks the galaxy is ready for it so he released it. He may not have considered all the effects but he's not perfect.
More disturbingly the sheer level of potential abuse that the CURRENT capabilities imply is kind of horrifying. Everybody was thrilled when the Cyberjack could override sensory input for Hyperspace travel...but with TOTAL override of bodily sensory input...I hope there's an override in there somewhere because you either have the potential for Shadowrun style Black Ice (aka burn out your brain) or just mess with somebody's senses (Oh I can input physical sensations into your nervous system? This is the sensation of being burned alive. Oh and this is total sensory isolation.)
Thats what the Limiters in the Jack are for.
Right now the Cyberjack, as per Jason's talk with the other leaders and the Empress's bodyguards was that it CAN'T be used to take over somebody's body. How long before sometbody tries to make one that CAN be used (aka Shadowrun Skillsofts.) 
First you have to kidnap someone and implant the new Jack. I think it might be easier to telepathically domonate someone to gain control of them.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
MartinK
Da'Shar

Post by MartinK »

Belgarion213 wrote:FOlr what its wroth the Cyberjack is not as easily easily hacked as the Cyber-brain but still I think Jason is REALLY underestimating the changes that the Jack will have on society at large.
I think you imagine introducing the Cyberjack into our modern society, not in the Universe Grandmaster Fel created. So the Cyberjack can be modified to be misused. Every technology has that kind of disadvantage. You can use it to make your own life more comfortable, healthier, happier. You can do so for other people. But the bad guys can make use of it as well.

Now then, what exactly will be possible with the introduction of the Cyberjack that any bad guy couldn't have done if he went and hired a strong Faey? Quite the opposite, the Cyberjack can now be used to combat the powers of telepaths, since they can influence the biological parts of a person but will have problems with the technological ones. So what if a Cyberjack could possibly be used to control a person, a strong telepath could do all that already.

Another point you might have ignored, the Cyberjack did not start in a lab controlled by Jason. Some industrious humans came up with the idea and found themselves test subjects. The idea is already out there. It was mentioned in lots of science fiction books before scientists tried their hands at it in a relatively public research facility where others no doubt heared about it. And we all know that the most powerful thing there is, is after all an idea. Without Jasons interference it would certainly have taken a few more years, but it would have been invented. Better to control and influence the development and introduction of the technology.

Sure, there will be new variations on old methods with the Cyberjack. On the other hand, we also get lots of potential. Imagine true virtual reality games! And perhaps its possible to increase speed for some races or specific people in VR. Imagine you are controlling your fighter in VR and your awareness is twice as fast as your body can support in reality. In a battle where every second may count, getting 2 seconds to think for every 1 second in reality may be a game changer all on its own. That is, if people don't decide they'd rather life twice as long in a virtual reality where a simple thought is all it takes to get the system to create everythink you may want.

Ah, well, a bit further afield than i intended to write about. No matter..
What does a signature tell us about a person that has a signature significantly longer than the text he posted in his last post?
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

there has been little mentioned about how the cyber jack would be used at the academy. It allows speed learning and expanded and external memory. So with jacks being originating from earth, the academy will show the sheer use of jacks in education at least in advanced and later education. It would allow for quicker programs and expanded disciplines. The number of higher and later education will explode. People will be able to achieve doctorates and masters with greater ease. Since jacks are not for children, only the generations are able to take advantage early in life. Everyone else has to earn their place, then get the jack.
.S.A.M.K.M