Earth Bond Chapter 15 Discussion (spoilers!)

Discussions all around the Earth Bond/Kell the dragon story.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Re: Earth Bond Chapter 15 Discussion (spoilers!)

Post by Phantom »

SYED wrote:I can just imagine the website the ED can make to sell their goods. THey could potentially pay america for all their assistance and use the extra to restore and improve on the island.

If any of those islands are totatlly barren, or there are rocks or reef near enough to the surface, they could build a structure similar to an oil drilling platform but for dragon use and far bigger.

WIth all those extra clear foci, they could potentially makes a bunch of island lost to humans near by. So not necessarily have to be centralised.

Use the sea entrance to sanctuary, rebuild it as a docking area. Why not buy a ship to act as the doccks, moving stuff when needed.
The Earth and Water Dragons could Build a Harbor
WD's move rocks in to area needed from the sea Floor and the ED's can then Blast it with their Lava breath to cement it into place.

Wouldn't take long to Build up a Rock lined Harbor with a nice Sea wall to boot.

Barring that ED's can now Dig tunnels and then Smooth and Line the walls just Like Lava Tubes.
Their Lava breath can seal the walls to keep them from colapseing on them.

It would take a bit of time....but they could now build undersea tunnels to the other islands.

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

GBLW wrote:Wait a second, what would you pay for a light that followed you around from room to room, even outside, wasn't connected to the electrical grid and turned on and off, as well as brightened or dimmed at your vocal command?
Is this the same kind of magic that cannot interact with technology? I'd prefer a light that can be used to read a kindle. :roll:

And to be clear, if it followed my commands, could I be a complete arsehole and tell it to strobe at epileptic frequencies in public, in a way that no one else could shut off? Or tell it to go into someone else's bedroom and shine really brightly? Or do the same in a cockpit of a 747 on final approach? Of course if the lights can be made bright enough, they can be a power source! And also a blinding weapon. Or a firestarter... If I did these things, and someone got killed, what forensic tests could be done to find me?

Introducing new technology can be like introducing a new species. It can have a damaging effect on the local 'ecosystem'. Especially if the sole supplier of the new technology is foreign, and supply might be cut off at any time; possibly without warning. No one wants to develop anything like dependency in those circumstances. They all remember what happened the last time they were that stupid.

In this case however, the supplier a cronically unstable and deranged island state with a tiny population, weapons of mass destruction, delusions of their own ethnic superiority PLUS delusions of persicution, and a clear history of showing contempt for the rights of other nations. For all these reasons, international economics isn't quite so simply as supply and demand'.
I is an certified nut
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

ANTIcarrot wrote:
GBLW wrote:Wait a second, what would you pay for a light that followed you around from room to room, even outside, wasn't connected to the electrical grid and turned on and off, as well as brightened or dimmed at your vocal command?
They all remember what happened the last time they were that stupid.
I believe you have hit upon the reason why importers would insist at certain limits be placed upon the magical commands that could be made to such a light. Let's face it, I'm certain that if you or I can think of a way such a tool can be turned into a weapon, the political appointees could do so as well, so they'd insist that whatever the light did, it was safe as houses. Since we`re discussing magic here, all it would take would be a command to 'do no harm' and we've removed all of your nightmares in one swoop.
Every developed country has a thousand and one people who spend their time doing nothing else than 'protecting the general public' from the danger of a recent invention. Just look at the number of nuts who are trying to block the use of cell phones, kindles and all such devices because the frequencies they radiate supposedly damage braincells, then check out the number of people who are testing cell phones, etc. to see if they really are dangerous.
Don`t worry 'ANTI,' big brother is doing his absolute best to 'protect' you from danger and I doubt if life in Fel's dragon universe is one darn bit less `protective.' :wink:
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

SImply make all crimes involving magic under the purveiw of the dragons, who sent in agents to assist in the investigation of the missuse of magic. Who would really commit a crime where bullet proof dragons and master wizards be after you? You might be able to deal with cops after you, but dragons can verify the truth with magic, and criminals are handed to their care.
.S.A.M.K.M
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

SYED wrote:SImply make all crimes involving magic under the purveiw of the dragons, who sent in agents to assist in the investigation of the missuse of magic. Who would really commit a crime where bullet proof dragons and master wizards be after you? You might be able to deal with cops after you, but dragons can verify the truth with magic, and criminals are handed to their care.
Any body got a Dragon sized Ketsup Bottle ? :shock: :lol:

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

SYED wrote:SImply make all crimes involving magic under the purveiw of the dragons, who sent in agents to assist in the investigation of the missuse of magic. Who would really commit a crime where bullet proof dragons and master wizards be after you? You might be able to deal with cops after you, but dragons can verify the truth with magic, and criminals are handed to their care.
Dragons that are bullet proof can't use magic.
Dragons that can use magic aren't bullet proof.
Try to keep up.
I is an certified nut
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

Sorry if I made that impression.
I meant that the criminals would face ED as well as Mages after them. No one knows how to counter act a master wizard, and if they figured out a way, they must deal with ED, who are backed by the best hackers in the world, are near impervious to most materials.
I wonder if it is possible to make a talisman to mimic the elemental immunity? CAn the magical talismans needed by humans be made with tail spikes would they be exceptionally powerful.
Clear tail spike are the ultimate foci, but there has never been such a large number of them available. What happens when simple and basic magics are laid inside such crystals. THe hider was shattered by a bullet, the tail spike are said to be diamond like.
.S.A.M.K.M
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Diamonds are forever
Tail spikes are harder

Magic is everything
Without ED magic is nothing
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Given that it's confirmed that Earth Dragons manufacture magic, I wonder how many years it will take for humans to understand and duplicate the process? In the same way they can manufacture skin now, when it was impossible a few years ago.
I is an certified nut
Javna
Katzh-dashi

Post by Javna »

ANTIcarrot wrote:Given that it's confirmed that Earth Dragons manufacture magic, I wonder how many years it will take for humans to understand and duplicate the process? In the same way they can manufacture skin now, when it was impossible a few years ago.
I would say never since it biology and not technology that bring forth the magic. No ED no magic. Sure humans might clone a ED but im guessing there is more behind it, then just copy past the DNA.
There's a fine line between genius and madness.
Me I crossed the line long ago
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Javna wrote:I would say never since it biology and not technology that bring forth the magic.
That's like saying aircraft are impossible because bird wings are organic. Biology is just complex technology. If something has been done, it can be done, by anyone if they know how. Maybe not quickly, but it can be done.
I is an certified nut
Javna
Katzh-dashi

Post by Javna »

ANTIcarrot wrote: That's like saying aircraft are impossible because bird wings are organic. Biology is just complex technology. If something has been done, it can be done, by anyone if they know how. Maybe not quickly, but it can be done.
Yes and aircrafts consume a lot of resources and have this habit of crashing. I dont belive u want a piece of hardware that mimics ED's magic producing organ to crashed, i would think that would be messy ordeal.
We might be able to create a lot of things, but Murphy's law comes to mind with some of the things u dont want to break down.

Like hearing someone working with Nuclear power plant saying -- whoops that's not supposed to happen!!
There's a fine line between genius and madness.
Me I crossed the line long ago
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Javna wrote:Yes and aircrafts consume a lot of resources and have this habit of crashing. I dont belive u want a piece of hardware that mimics ED's magic producing organ to crashed, i would think that would be messy ordeal.
Firstly, learn to use the SHIFT key correctly. It's the one just above the CTRL button on either side of the keyboard. Secondly... Yes, aircraft crash, but the wings themselves only stop working under conditions so specific they are extremely rare. And what would be the big problem with a magic generator breaking down? I have 'light generators' in my house (also called lightbulbs) and they break down every few months. You will no doubt be amazingly surprised to learn the world doesn't come to an end when they do.

As to murphy's law... It doesn't work that way. Modern nuclear plants don't really work that way either; at least when not built by idiots at least. (Sadly we still have a lot of legacy plants from the 1960s; which were built by idiots!) Nor is complexity that much of a problem insulin is complex. We can manufacture it. We no longer need to scavange it from animals. If something is prone to breaking down, you design it to be passively safe, and build more than one of them for a failover capacity.
I is an certified nut