Spirit Walker religions

Caution: Spoilers
Discussions about the Spirit Walker and Shadow Walker stories.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
zedd
Sui'Kun

Spirit Walker religions

Post by zedd »

I am curious how Fel came up with the religions described in Spirit Walker and Shadow Walker. How do you imagine their appearance? Are they "evolutions" of "today" (as in real life) religions or were they borne with the new era?

Can you share Fel?
Fel
Weavespinner

Re: Spirit Walker religions

Post by Fel »

Religion can transcend time and turmoil, as it is what people cling to when things go bad. However, the outlooks and beliefs of those religions can alter over time, as our own history shows.

The worship of the Holy Father and the Trinity is Christianity, or at least an altered splinter of it. It's the evolution of the Bible Belt Baptists after the Breach, since the majority representatives of the other mainstream Christian sects vanished over the years. I didn't go out of my way to try to make it "evil" per se, but speaking AS one of those Bible Belt Baptists, I'm sad to say that the outlooks and prejudices of my brethren makes them more than capable of evolving into what you see in the book, where slavery is seen as morally acceptable, just as it once was for Southerners before and after the American Civil War.

A much less corrupted version of Christianity still holds in Eusica, which is why the Eusicans will not permit Arcans there. It's not that they don't like Arcans, it's because their Noraavi owners tend to throw a fit when they land on Eusican soil and then have their Arcans slaves taken from them. To prevent violence, the Eusicans don't allow Arcans to cross the Angry Sea (the Atlantic). There ARE a few very small pockets of Arcans in Briton and Espan, tiny colonies started by the slaves taken from Noraavi traders that had sufficient breeding pairs to sustain themselves.

While not quite the religion, the spirits are the same spirits venerated by the American Indians and other shamanic peoples all over the world since, well, before recorded history. As organized religion rose in the distant past, more and more people abandoned their veneration of spirits for other religions, until the spirits decided to withdraw from all people, even those who still believed in them, because they saw what the human race was doing to the planet.

The religions that survived the most untouched by a thousand years of turmoil are Catholicism and Islam. They don't call themselves that anymore, they call themselves the Romanists and the Sons and Daughters of Allah, but their traditions and their beliefs are pretty much unchanged since before the Breach, which affected the entire world, not just Noraam.

Guess I should explain that, don't think I ever did. The Breach was an explosion of magical energy, almost like a magical atomic bomb, that took place in 2106 Virginia, where Quantico Marine Base is now. It destroyed Washington, Richmond, and everything in between, but what it also did was unleashed an Electromagnetic Pulse, EMP, which destroys electrical and electronic equipment on a global scale. While the physical destruction was isolated to the eastern seaboard of America, the EMP crossed the globe 17 times before it finally dissipated. The EMP not only destroyed virtually anything and everything that runs on electricity, it killed nearly two billion people by electrocution and trauma who were on or near metallic objects and were electrocuted by the induced electrical current or were too close to large-scale electronics that exploded.

In a heartbeat, the entire basis of modern human civilization, electricity, was gone. And this is on top of the destruction wrought by what many called World War 3, as China and her allies battled with the United States and her allies, a war the United States was on the verge of losing. China had invaded the west coast, and its troops were as far east as Missouri before the Breach...which is why there isn't any mention of any Noraavi population past the Smoke Mountains. After the Breach, the vast majority of the citizens of Noraam died in the chaos that followed, since most of their supplies and infrastructure were already destroyed by the Chinese invasion.

For the rest of the world, I don't think I have to describe the anarchy, famine, and political upheaval and violence that followed.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
zedd
Sui'Kun

Post by zedd »

thank you Fel
schunn99
Initiate

Post by schunn99 »

that's interesting, and clears up some questions that I know more of us had. Any idea on what you are going to be releasing next? More shadow walker or tribulation?
please oh evil fel. We wait with held breath for the next chapter.
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

schunn99 wrote:that's interesting, and clears up some questions that I know more of us had. Any idea on what you are going to be releasing next? More shadow walker or tribulation?
please oh evil fel. We wait with held breath for the next chapter.

Fel's not evil. He's just drawn that way.

J-Man5
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Fel wrote:A much less corrupted version of Christianity still holds in Eusica, which is why the Eusicans will not permit Arcans there. It's not that they don't like Arcans, it's because their Noraavi owners tend to throw a fit when they land on Eusican soil and then have their Arcans slaves taken from them. To prevent violence, the Eusicans don't allow Arcans to cross the Angry Sea (the Atlantic). There ARE a few very small pockets of Arcans in Briton and Espan, tiny colonies started by the slaves taken from Noraavi traders that had sufficient breeding pairs to sustain themselves.
Somehow I get the impression that my continent has just been insulted. I'm not quite sure how though.

What about other parts of the world? Japan springs to mind. Are foxes still held in high reguard there? :) Or do pacific distances make regular trade impractical?
While the physical destruction was isolated to the eastern seaboard of America, the EMP crossed the globe 17 times before it finally dissipated.
Ah. This would be magical EMP then, which goes round corners. :roll: :wink: :lol:

Minor point: Do any of the major characters plan to tell the human nations that the reason they want to stop the Loremasters is because the Infernal Device they want to build can be used to create really large explosions? Because, humans being humans, that might be sending a mixed message...
I is an certified nut
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

ANTIcarrot wrote:
Fel wrote:A much less corrupted version of Christianity still holds in Eusica, which is why the Eusicans will not permit Arcans there. It's not that they don't like Arcans, it's because their Noraavi owners tend to throw a fit when they land on Eusican soil and then have their Arcans slaves taken from them. To prevent violence, the Eusicans don't allow Arcans to cross the Angry Sea (the Atlantic). There ARE a few very small pockets of Arcans in Briton and Espan, tiny colonies started by the slaves taken from Noraavi traders that had sufficient breeding pairs to sustain themselves.
Somehow I get the impression that my continent has just been insulted. I'm not quite sure how though.

What about other parts of the world? Japan springs to mind. Are foxes still held in high reguard there? :) Or do pacific distances make regular trade impractical?
While the physical destruction was isolated to the eastern seaboard of America, the EMP crossed the globe 17 times before it finally dissipated.
Ah. This would be magical EMP then, which goes round corners. :roll: :wink: :lol:

Minor point: Do any of the major characters plan to tell the human nations that the reason they want to stop the Loremasters is because the Infernal Device they want to build can be used to create really large explosions? Because, humans being humans, that might be sending a mixed message...
Most of Asia was devastated in the war, since the US and their allies managed to actually invade the Chinese mainland before the war turned against them. Australia, NZ, and the southern island marches are about all that's left outside of China, and there's not much left in China. After the loss of electricity, the binding force holding the many various Chinese ethnicities collapsed, and China degenerated into civil war.

However, Buddhism still thrives where the pockets of civilization remain.

And yes, EMP can, in fact, go around corners. Actually, it sorta just goes through them since the only thing that can stop an EMP is sufficient magnetic shielding, but it does technically get to the other side of the corner, therefore "going around corners." But hey, the world is built on technicalities ;)

At this point, the major characters really have no intention of telling the humans anything, because it's a moot point. As I'm sure you've noticed, Kyven sees that an all-out war is coming, and nothing is going to stop it. He knows it, he doesn't entirely want to admit it, but he knows it, and he's starting to think more along the lines of what's AFTER Avannar being conquered. The Arcans will have a huge army poised in the Smoke Mountains, and the humans will have a huge army occupying Avannar, should they conquer the Loremasters. When word reaches the humans that the Arcans have taken over the mining villages, severing the humans from the last sources of crystals, they will attack. And the Arcans won't have much choice but to do just that, because they have to have collateral to force the humans to release the Arcan slaves. Holding the crystal-producing mountains hostage is one of their few viable threats.

But, though the Arcans won't mention it and it's not been brought up, those two sites are still there. Danna stopped both Loremaster attempts at them when she intercepted the army at Deep River, since the expedition that was going to go find that base was part of Wild's army. And since that expedition was also going to build the site where the Loremasters intended to build their machine, well, that was stopped as well.

The table's been set, and now everyone's gonna sit down and take a helping.

Which is what the shadow fox intended all along. That was her ultimate goal...not freeing the Arcans, but war. Full-out, total and complete war. She deceived everyone, even the other spirits, to bring things to where they are now, and at this point, nothing is going to stop it. Why? That will become clear once I pick this story up again.
zedd
Sui'Kun

Post by zedd »

Fel wrote:... That will become clear once I pick this story up again.
Which means you are working on another story. Thank you for letting us know :lol:
nicolai
Da'Shar

Post by nicolai »

zedd wrote:
Which means you are working on another story. Thank you for letting us know :lol:
I agree with zedd. :D :D

Dare I ask what you're working on?
An objective definition of "Political Correctness":

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

nicolai wrote:
zedd wrote:
I agree with zedd. :D :D

Dare I ask what you're working on?
At the moment? A presentation for school. I have to give it on Wednesday.

After I'm done with that, I intend to begin work on Tribulation.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Sheesh Fel, it's April's fools day, couldn't you have said something like I'm up to chapter 4 of Tribulation, I wanna get it all done before posting any of it...

:evil: