A tribute to Ben.

Fel
Weavespinner

A tribute to Ben.

Post by Fel »

Ben.

Benjamin Franklin, my beloved poodle.

19 years. 19 years we have been together. From the instant I saw you in the pet store at Christmas and spent every penny I had, and borrowed more besides, to buy you, you have been my dog.

Bobbie Jean was always Mother's. Holly was always Jamey's, but you, my wonderful, silly Pookie, you were always mine.

19 years. God, it's so hard to imagine that you were with me so long. That's just shy of half of my life. I have cousins younger than you. From when I just got out of the military and lived in Virginia, through Texas, through Florida, through New Orleans, and then to West Virginia, you have been with me. You have been my pet, my companion, and my friend. You and me, we were family, in all the ways that being family mattered. We watched out for each other. We were always there to comfort each other. And no matter how bad things were, you were always there to scare me half to death with your shrill, loud bark to make me pay attention to you, which would lead to playing, which would make all my worries and cares melt away.

We made each other happy, and we loved each other.

I knew you were hurting. I knew that being blind made it hard for you to navigate the house. I knew the arthritis was so bad you had trouble walking, that your hernia made it hard to lay down comfortably. I knew I was close approaching making that painful decision to have you put to sleep. But no. You were a fighter. I know mom and Jamey thought it was past time, but they didn't know you like I did, baby. I knew I'd know when that time would come, and I knew that you weren't ready to go quite yet. Despite being blind and having trouble walking, you were still the silly puppy you were so many years ago. I knew that when the puppy faded and a tired old dog replaced him, you'd be ready. But you weren't ready quite yet.

I knew you weren't ready to go, but I could also see that your old age was catching up to you. I knew that you'd die here, in our house, when your old bones finally convinced the silly puppy inside to take a long, peaceful sleep.

I thought I was ready. Nearly a year now, you've been on the verge of it. But today, when I saw you laying in your little bed and you didn't raise your head when I called out to you in greeting as I hung my hat on the hatrack, I knew. And I realized that no matter how ready you think you are, you are never ready enough to say goodbye to someone who has shared so much of your life.

Today, my beloved, wonderful poodle, my pet and friend of 19 years, passed away. He died peacefully in his sleep from the looks of it, at home and where he belonged, where he deserved to be.

Goodbye, Ben. God, I'm going to miss you. I love you very much.

Sleep well. You earned it.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Re: A tribute to Ben.

Post by Hearly »

Sorry to hear about your dog fel.
miraborn
Da'Shar

Post by miraborn »

My condolences - I hope you can get through this time of grief with a minimum of pain.
zedd
Sui'Kun

Post by zedd »

Having lost my dog 2 month ago I understand your pain. My sympathies.
Eurasier
Sorcerer

Post by Eurasier »

One of the nice things with dogs is, that they - sometimes in contrast to the rest of the family - always come running and always are happy to see you when you come home or when you rise in the morning. The house feels very empty when they are gone.
More power to the werewolves!
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

My condolences. :cry:
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
garion
Sorcerer

Post by garion »

i read your tribute and thought of this

http://www.scrapbook.com/poems/doc/4825/253.html
God made pot, man made booze, who do trust, what would you choose
gesit
Sui'Kun

Post by gesit »

a sad day for you, my friend
but one day you'll be together again
godbless

ham
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

I'm really sorry to hear it bud. :cry: I lost my silly puppy of 18 years last month, so know what it feels like. Hang in there, I know it hurts. :(
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
Fawks
Sui'Kun
Location: DFW, Texas, USA, N. America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by Fawks »

Hang in there Fel. Remember the good times.
www.weavespinner.net

Still looking for an easy WYSIWYG html/web editor like Frontpage used to be.