Think we might need a new forum around here...

General announcements about the forum and its related services.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Fel
Weavespinner

Think we might need a new forum around here...

Post by Fel »

Looking at how crowded "Chapter Announcements" is getting, I think we might discuss options to clean it up a little bit.

I see three options we can take.

First, we leave the one we have, and I don't make them permanent stickies. I can set them to un-sticky after X amount of days

Second, we could create one big "Chapter Annoucements Archives" forum, where announce posts go after X amount of days, much akin to our current archive forums.

Thirdly, we could possibly create sub-forums holding chapter release posts sorted by storyline, split off Chapter Announcements...but I'm not sure how well that would work.

It'll depend on Spec really, since he's the one that would have to make the change. ;)

Comments? Suggestions? Rants? Get it off your chest.

And if you're a Scandanavian supermodel, please, include photos of you doing so.

***ducks the Spoon of Doom.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Mistra
Katzh-dashi

Re: Think we might need a new forum around here...

Post by Mistra »

i'm kinda in favour for a combo of 1 and 3, leave the chapter announcements in the main thread, but move them to story specific threads after x amount of days
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

For the sake of the reader , it would be defiantly easier , to have the updates of one particular series in one sub section. Though I guess you would have to have a central place announcing The new update.KInda like the headlines of the paper , then you can turn to the page to read the rest of the story.
nicolai
Da'Shar

Post by nicolai »

I will have to agree with Mistra and dellstart. A combination of 1 and 3.

I think keeping the present Chapter Announcement forum, and duplicating those posts in the appropriate story forum would be a good way to do it. This way there is only one forum to search for new chapters, and there will be a specific forum that will contain all the chapters for each story. Simplifies things for the readers, a lot.

I suggest a new category, "Posted Stories" or something like that, with a forum for each story line.

The story forums would be chapter postings only. Discussion will be in Chapter Announcement forum, like it is now, or in a separate story discussion forum.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Nicolai
An objective definition of "Political Correctness":

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Mad Monk
Sui'Kun

Post by Mad Monk »

Might I suggest a slightly different system?

Have a sticky at the top of the "Chapter announcements" section with a series of links to the sites where the stories are archived - This would help newer readers find the older stories/chapters they crave. Then just keep announcing new chapters there as they are produced.
Rational people have supported the worst dictators of history - Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc.

I'm mad - at least I have an excuse for what I do.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Fel wrote:It'll depend on Spec really, since he's the one that would have to make the change. ;)
Pfft, I hardly have to hold your hand. :P You've got the very same Admin link as I do :P

Yeah, I'd looked at that a few weeks ago.

Suggestion (based on what others have said already):

- New chapters created as Sticky, instead of Announcements as they are now
- Set Sticky to expire after 28 days
- Chapters older than 6 months get locked and moved to Chapter Announcement Archives.
- Announcement in the forum where to locate old chapters on the main site.

Edit: Oh, how could I forget to mention?

Any scandanavian supermodels (or, any pretty women, I'm not going to discriminate, unlike Fel :P) who happen to be hanging around the forums can get access to the secret forums. :)
Doc Spratley
Initiate

Post by Doc Spratley »

I agree.....with Spec8472....Easier navigation...easier to find.....easier to...something or other.
MommyDoom
Keeper of the Spoon of Doom

Post by MommyDoom »

Is there any way to automatically email all "members" when a new chapter is posted to the New Chapter area?

MD
Blood begets more blood as dog begets dog.
Death generates death as the vulture breeds the vulture.
But the voice I heard today said, "Love your neighbor. Do good to those who despitefully use you".
- From the movie, "Ben Hur"
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

MommyDoom wrote:Is there any way to automatically email all "members" when a new chapter is posted to the New Chapter area?

MD
You can subscribe for notifications, yes. ...It's not 100% reliable though.

Go to http://forums.sennadar.com/viewforum.php?f=18 and scroll right down the bottom - in the blue bar will be a link "Subscribe to forum"

Or if RSS is your thing: http://forums.sennadar.com/rss.php
MommyDoom
Keeper of the Spoon of Doom

Post by MommyDoom »

Spec8472 wrote:
MommyDoom wrote:Is there any way to automatically email all "members" when a new chapter is posted to the New Chapter area?

MD
You can subscribe for notifications, yes. ...It's not 100% reliable though.

Go to http://forums.sennadar.com/viewforum.php?f=18 and scroll right down the bottom - in the blue bar will be a link "Subscribe to forum"

Or if RSS is your thing: http://forums.sennadar.com/rss.php
Done! Thanks, Spec!
Blood begets more blood as dog begets dog.
Death generates death as the vulture breeds the vulture.
But the voice I heard today said, "Love your neighbor. Do good to those who despitefully use you".
- From the movie, "Ben Hur"
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

I visit the site everyday since I have been marked for Death. So make sure I get all the stories before I am Dead or the walking dead.

Honestly, any system will do as long as the posted chapters can be accessed. Whether it is posted directly to the chapter announcement or directly to the main story headings, I am content as long as I can access it.

I was having trouble to find the previous posted chapters, especially old ones. In the meantime, I will still visit everyday since the financial credit worldwide crisis has put me at home... I am just trawling and reading, indulging in my favourite pastime.

I just hope this credit contagion will pass and simple people can do business and not affected by whether they can trust the banks.
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

Why not do it like I suggested several months ago.

Create an new Section (titled something like "Fels Stories")

Then add each Finished Story as a Sub section to that.

(Locking each Section so that general comments about each are Still posted like normal in the other
Areas of the forum. -== Just to keep that area Clean and neat ==- )

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

okay, so the forums have been restructured a bit.

- Chapter Announcements has been split up with one sub-forum for each universe. Wasn't sure whether to make this for each book or not.

- Killed off the Firestaff and Pyrosian Chronicles spoilers forums, they're now just Sennadar Universe which incorporates Legacy.

- New Kit and Spirit Walker spoiler forums.

I've gone and shifted a bunch of topics around to hopefully the right places - please Flag any thread that's in the wrong spot.
Deeb
Sorcerer

Post by Deeb »

This may just be me, but I can't get the story specific forums to correctly sort themselves in order of "Post Time".

See the Kit subforum for example.
-Deeb
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

It's occurring for me too, and I'm not sure why... seems like a strange bug with PHPbb.