SPIRIT WALKER - CHAPTER 18 SPOILERS

Caution: Spoilers
Discussions about the Spirit Walker and Shadow Walker stories.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
Journeywoman
Sui'Kun

Re: SPIRIT WALKER - CHAPTER 18 SPOILERS

Post by Journeywoman »

Hrm, I believe Shario could be a valuable ally in many ways. In a round about way he could offer Kyven a chance at using black magic: by selling him a 'spare black crystal' to put in his back pocket for draining later :P . He would have to observe a spell or two, but he is about to infiltrate the highest reaches of the Lawmasters and they no doubt have lots of interesting black powered alchemist devices :twisted: . This could get evil very quickly :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: !

In addition, doing it this way, vs getting one made it could possibly throw Shario off his real motives if done with the correct guile and deceit.
Last edited by Journeywoman on Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abandon the search for truth; settle for good fantasy!
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

michaelsuave wrote:Further, I don't think he will have problems sneaking past devices that look for alchemy, he can always turn off his spirit sight. What I think he is going to have the most problem doing, is sneaking past torch light. He is not going to be able to really use his shadow power very well. Rather, he will have to rely on his illusion ability, such as showing an empty corridor as a two dimensional picture to the guard standing at the end of the hall, or an image of a stone wall that follows him as he slinks along it, or as a rug. Or heck, he can use his claws and walk along the wooden ceiling while using the spell of silence and either his shadow power or his illusion skill. :twisted:
Or turn himself invisible. Like he does his hands when he eats (and drinks) in public.
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

Or, appear to be someone who has the authority to be carrying illicit devices past security checkpoints. When chased leave a stolen device behind, make a wall or 'go shadow', any portable detection gizmos find something but not Kyven. With a little guile many ways present themselves. (Or he could go to the library pick up a good spy novel from ancient times and learn their nefarious ways :twisted: )
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
furry_wolf2001b
Katzh-dashi

Post by furry_wolf2001b »

One problem i see popping up is bigger security systems, like the one that held the Arcans in.
(It was dug in and surrounded the whole place)
With time and planning i don't doubt he can avoid,disable or circumvent whatever he runs into, but he has to have that time, and what he dose not know about can jump up and bite him, maybe even literary.
Fel will not have him die from it at least.. ;)
expedient wrote: (Or he could go to the library pick up a good spy novel from ancient times and learn their nefarious ways :twisted: )
Doubtful, can he even read that language?
And even if he can, he might not have the reference to understand what he reads.
Let alone find it (a book i mean).
Or it being all that useful, as times are -way- different and methods for one time may not be useful in some other time period.

But spy devices may a thing worth thinking on, but it may be the lore guards and others in power already are aware and actively looking or preventing such, as far as they are able naturally.
Miss spelling sweed in tha house! ;)
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

I was attempting humor. :roll:

However, I was also thinking along the lines of if it is inevitable that the Loremasters are going to find out that some information has been stolen, leaving clues pointing towards one of the other towers/departments, the Loreguard, a criminal organization or some prominent influential city figure might be useful and prudent. If they don't suspect the Masked or the Shaman and instead think that some internal power struggle is taking place then trust will be eroded and infighting might ensue. That scenario could help Kyven.

Four separate and distinct power structures in the different Loremaster towers suggests to me a possible rivalry to exploit. I believe the Shadow Fox Spirit would approve...
Last edited by expedient on Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

I like that idea expediant. Devide and conquer. We already know that the city departments squable, but we don't know if it extends into the loreguard/master departments as well. If kyven can get them back stabbing each other, then it would be easier for him to work himself in and play both sides. Furthermore, if both sides were going after each other, it stops the loreguard/master "machine" from working together to kill the arcans, destroy haven, etc. Just as Tarrin played the One against the Demon Lord, and Kit and Vil played the family against the ex-spouse, kyven can play the loremasters against themselves, or even the loreguard against the loremasters. :twisted:

~Michael 8)
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

furry_wolf2001b wrote:One problem i see popping up is bigger security systems, like the one that held the Arcans in.
There's a point here. It's very likely, providing the security system is known outside of there, even. What better way to ensure security then by having one that kills everyone not authorized to pass it? For all we know, the Loremasters carry amulets or similar to get into secure areas.
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

If they can create a barrier that shocks people, the can rig it up with a death/black crystal and cause it to kill... Of course, there's always the window... Tarrin always liked that way of entry. :wink:
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
furry_wolf2001b
Katzh-dashi

expedient wrote:I was attempting humor. :roll:

However, I thinking along the lines of if it is inevitable that the Loremasters are going to find out that some information has been stolen, leaving clues pointing towards one of the other towers/departments, the Loreguard, a criminal organization or some prominent influential city figure might be useful and prudent. If they don't suspect the Masked or the Shaman and instead think that some internal power struggle is taking place then trust will be eroded and infighting might ensue. That scenario could help Kyven.

Four separate and distinct power structures in the different Loreguard towers suggests to me a possible rivalry to exploit. I believe the Shadow Fox Spirit would approve...
Perhaps as a diversion, but they are already backstabbing i think, so thats nothing new.
Security would be stepped up regardless.
And an external threat may stop the internal fighting, nothing solidify a group as an external threat.
Most of the time that is..
What kyven needs is inventing a shaman spell for that sending paper messages machine, that way he dose not have to take the stuff with him.
Or his shaman illusions if good enough may take care of that perhaps, when they are more "real"..
furry_wolf2001b
Katzh-dashi

Weresmilodon wrote:
furry_wolf2001b wrote:One problem i see popping up is bigger security systems, like the one that held the Arcans in.
There's a point here. It's very likely, providing the security system is known outside of there, even. What better way to ensure security then by having one that kills everyone not authorized to pass it? For all we know, the Loremasters carry amulets or similar to get into secure areas.
Precisely what i was thinking of.
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

furry_wolf2001b wrote:Perhaps as a diversion, but they are already backstabbing i think, so thats nothing new.
Security would be stepped up regardless.
I’m not sure that security would be increased by more personnel though. Either the different towers exchange information freely or they spy on each other all the time. If the latter is the case then a sudden increase in espionage activity, where the perpetrator appears to be internal and leaves no other clues to their identity, could lead to the opposite. An investigator would conclude that one of their rivals has a new way/device to circumvent security, or more likely that persons within the compromised tower are passing on the intelligence.

To combat that they would tighten their circle of trust, restrict movement and access, collect sensitive materials into defensible vaults and reduce the numbers of people allowed near those areas. Making everyone a suspect. Casting doubt, fear and mistrust everywhere.

Assuming Kyven can overcome the security measures with illusions, sneaking, observing and hiding, stealing access keys/amulets/devices and general cunning, collecting all the information together would reduce the number of places he’d have to search.
And an external threat may stop the internal fighting, nothing solidify a group as an external threat.
Most of the time that is..
This would be the second phase of Kyven’s infiltration. Planting evidence that the Arcan movement is legitimate or even that one of the other towers is behind it either to secure crystals or build an army for coup. Anything to cast doubt on who to trust and delay action. They only need four months to complete the purchases.

It might even help later. Who would believe that “dumb” Arcans could build their own cities and armies? They must be getting help. If the Loremasters suspect that they are being led into a trap set by one or more of the other towers they’re not going to want to commit all their forces and they’re going to bolt at the first sign of treachery, real or imagined.
What kyven needs is inventing a shaman spell for that sending paper messages machine, that way he dose not have to take the stuff with him.
Or his shaman illusions if good enough may take care of that perhaps, when they are more "real"..
Yes I agree. He’s already doing this at a simple level with his own planning documents and lists. He would need time to study the documents to recreate the illusion of them though. Alternatively, he could take and copy them then put them back somewhere else later. He might still need to take alchemical devices away to be studied or destroy some work on the Breach technology. It would also be difficult to hide more than a couple of Loremaster deaths.

As to illusions being more “real”, once Kyv can get to point where he can fool touch, taste and smell, as with his fur, then maybe his spells will become very real. At least able to maintain themselves for a while.

Shaman, like Clover, can “concentrate” Spirit Energy into a solid representation i.e. mana crystals. Perhaps one of the two spells the Shadow Fox Spirit has yet to teach Kyven is a lesser version of this that allows an illusion to hold for a few minutes or hours after he has gone.
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

Another thing Kyven might exploit is any friction between the Loremasters and the Loreguard. The Loreguard themselves would be a bureaucracy amongst themselves and there would surely be some friction between the Generals and the Loremaster leadership.
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

boballab wrote:Another thing Kyven might exploit is any friction between the Loremasters and the Loreguard. The Loreguard themselves would be a bureaucracy amongst themselves and there would surely be some friction between the Generals and the Loremaster leadership.
Yes I should have reiterated that point :oops:. The Loreguard are like a fifth tower in effect. Documents showing alliances with the city states with significant armies could also be planted. Foreign powers too.
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

michaelsuave wrote:What I think he is going to have the most problem doing, is sneaking past torch light. He is not going to be able to really use his shadow power very well.
Or he could use the sewers, which would be in perpetual 'shadow'. An iron security grill presumably wouldn't matter much to someone composed of living shadow.

Speaking of which, is Kyven's powers restricted to *shadow* or generic darkness? Cause, you know, the entire sky at night is *very* dark...
I is an certified nut
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

His powers are based on shadow, not darkness. They are related, but are actually very different things.

Darkness is the absence of light. Shadow is the mingling of light and darkness in varying degrees, where darkness always overwhelms the light. I think I put it in the last chapter that his powers don't work in total darkness, nor do they work in total light. There must be light present in some degree in order for there to be shadow, but if there's too much light, the threshold is passed and Kyven's powers are nullified. Kyven's abilities rely on the "dark" side of shadow, but not all of them will require a large amount of shadow. He learns a few tricks later that allow him to use his power in the presence of any kind of shadow, even ones not dark enough to allow him to meld into them. Generally put, the deeper the shadow, the stronger Kyven's power can become, until total darkness is achieved, which renders Kyven powerless; just as total light renders him powerless.

Now this may sound technical, but it's actually very important. It's not as restrictive as you might think, though, since the only way you ever achieve total darkness is through magic or being underground or in a sealed cellar and such. Light is like water, it finds ways to seep in through cracks and holes. A dark room isn't totally dark if there's a gap between the door and the floor, even if the hallway outside is "dark." There's a LITTLE light present, and that's all it takes.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.