Spirit Walker - Spoilers - Chapter 15

Caution: Spoilers
Discussions about the Spirit Walker and Shadow Walker stories.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Re: Spirit Walker - Spoilers - Chapter 15

Post by dellstart »

GBLW wrote:Actually, I rather enjoyed your quotation from a web page, since it reminded me of why I now read Fel's stories. I was doing a web search on foxes because my brother, Chick, recently deceased, had spent much of his last year working on the reintroduction of the "Kit Fox" otherwise known as the Swift Fox into southern Alberta. http://www.hww.ca/hww2.asp?id=105&cid=8
I was in the process of writing about Chick's work and when I typed 'Kit Fox' into Google, it lead me here, amongst other places.

Strange world huh? (By the way, the pair of foxes on my nephews farm has already had 5 kits this year- that makes 3 generations raised on the same place, so reintroduction is working.)

Wow , now thats interesting. small world. Good luck with the reintroduction!
miraborn wrote:I would be interested to see how the residents of Haven behave based on individual species - are those who are typically pack-based more inclined to do some job for the greater good? Are those that are lone animals keeping to themselves? Are those who are earning big bucks more inclined to an Alpha-male mentality?

There could be a huge sociological study done here on the relationship between base species, location of origin, whether the Arcan was a slave or born in Haven, etc.

-M
Now, that would be a study worthy of our hard earned tax dollars!More so than the breeding habits of some fruit fly from whahopit!
hoppy
Sorcerer

Post by hoppy »

furry_wolf2001b wrote: I don't know really how raccoons and squirrels handle(if thats the right word) it, both are tree living creatures as shadowfoxes is mentioned to be.

One other thought spring into mind too, most tree living creatures are not all that big, but the shadow skill may allow them to break that rule, and the pack feeding rule too.
I mean if you can surround the prey, then the pounce may fail but still leave another one to take it down.
But as always, sneaking up is more easy for one then many.
I think they are more likely to be tree using rather than living creatures. Raccoons and squirrels etc. would be prey of the last resort at least while they a were in trees. Hunting in the things in trees would tend to negate their power, and there would always be the possibility that they will fall off and get hurt.
Mistra
Katzh-dashi

Post by Mistra »

i was actually thinking the reason for the shadowfox to be able to create only one female shadowfox arcan is that, to increase the base intelligence of the creature , she had to give it the spark of intelligence, a "soul" if you want to call it that, and perhaps that can't be created out of thin air, that coupled with the fact the kyven notices she's deep and childlike at the same time makes me think the spirit had to use part of herself to transform umbra.
furry_wolf2001b
Katzh-dashi

Post by furry_wolf2001b »

Mistra wrote:i was actually thinking the reason for the shadowfox to be able to create only one female shadowfox arcan is that, to increase the base intelligence of the creature , she had to give it the spark of intelligence, a "soul" if you want to call it that, and perhaps that can't be created out of thin air, that coupled with the fact the kyven notices she's deep and childlike at the same time makes me think the spirit had to use part of herself to transform umbra.
Hmm, thats a good idea, i had not thought of that possibility at all. O.O
But then if illusion can warp reality...

Oh and i was not speaking of raccoons and squirrel as food for shadowfox monsters, but i don''t see why they would say no to em.
I was more concerned/trying to compare things on behavior and habitat and living patterns, and asking questions and input from others, as both of them(species) are not at all that familiar too me.
With the shadow skill i see em (shadowfox species) as carnivores, as it would be a real waste(and not logical) for such a thing not to be used in its obvious way(hunting benefits).
But as bears and other creatures who gets a chance(like fox, doggs, rats, etc) not to pass up on either cadaver or a fruits and berries when available.
Being unseen would after all be a benefit any fruit picker species as well. :)

Another thing i forgot to mention in my last post, is the similarity's to the regular squirrel and the black squirrel and kyven and thee regular vixens.
If he had been able to breed with the vixens, then in the end (depending on genetic inheritance) there would perhaps be no other fox but black fox, kinda like the squirrel population is being taken over by the black one.
But that would only happen if the black fox gene is more dominant.
And thats not realty wrong, if i could get my kids and edge like that, it would be stupid not to get it.
Miss spelling sweed in tha house! ;)
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

I mentioned earlier the unpredictability of playing around with intelligence. A practical example:
http://freefall.purrsia.com/grayff.htm
http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff1600/fv01587.htm
First link will work until the 9th, then second link takes over.
I is an certified nut
furry_wolf2001b
Katzh-dashi

Yeah, lol.
But i see it kinda the result mostly from "safeguards" that has been put in.
And witch something will probably be repeated in rl, first in non flesh robots i think, from that experiment we may figure something else out then the 5 laws of robot.
(hopefully better)

I should really see some of the (somewhat)current robot movies and see whats springs to mind, hopefully something else then a robot phobia, lol.
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

furry_wolf2001b wrote:Yeah, lol. But i see it kinda the result mostly from "safeguards" that has been put in.
True. but unintended consequences are pretty mandatory any time to create an intelligent being to do a job. They always develop their own goals that aren't in line with your own.

How will Shadow Fox react if/when Umbra develops enough experience/intelligence to question or outright defy her? Good intentions and safeguards won't necessarily prevent this.

And she really needs a suitable nickname. Naomi's hair so easily lent her the name Rainbow Bright...
I is an certified nut
nicolai
Da'Shar

Post by nicolai »

Mistra wrote:i was actually thinking the reason for the shadowfox to be able to create only one female shadowfox arcan is that, to increase the base intelligence of the creature , she had to give it the spark of intelligence, a "soul" if you want to call it that, and perhaps that can't be created out of thin air, that coupled with the fact the kyven notices she's deep and childlike at the same time makes me think the spirit had to use part of herself to transform umbra.
Hmmm... I was thinking that might be indicative that Umbra was created from a feral Arcan. And the spirit had to 'tame' her, so to speak.

Whichever, or more likely, something else entirely, Fel will inform us eventually.

Which leads me to...

Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! :P :P :P

Nicolai
An objective definition of "Political Correctness":

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
furry_wolf2001b
Katzh-dashi

ANTIcarrot wrote:
furry_wolf2001b wrote:Yeah, lol. But i see it kinda the result mostly from "safeguards" that has been put in.
True. but unintended consequences are pretty mandatory any time to create an intelligent being to do a job. They always develop their own goals that aren't in line with your own.

How will Shadow Fox react if/when Umbra develops enough experience/intelligence to question or outright defy her? Good intentions and safeguards won't necessarily prevent this.
[/url]...
Always? O-o
Well i see it as taking that into account and working WITH it instead.
I mean, make goals that are valid for it too if i can express it that simple and be understood.

All children defies their elders when they grow up.
Unless they are "broken" i guess.
Still, it can go so many ways it is hard to speculate, because we don't even know IF it will be a real issue, or worth mentioning.