Spirit Walker Spoilers - Chapter 14

Caution: Spoilers
Discussions about the Spirit Walker and Shadow Walker stories.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
expedient
Mi'Shara

Re: Spirit Walker Spoilers - Chapter 14

Post by expedient »

In the previously linked original outline, Fel talks about wanting to explore how a technology based race reacts to a magical one.

The Loremasters are collecting all the black-crystals for their weapons but they’re aware that crystals can be drained by shaman.

What else might the Loremasters have in reserve for this contingency?
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

expedient wrote:In the previously linked original outline, Fel talks about wanting to explore how a technology based race reacts to a magical one.

The Loremasters are collecting all the black-crystals for their weapons but they’re aware that crystals can be drained by shaman.

WMD? :P
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Phantom wrote:Who says they Started out ignorant....
Because everyone is born ignorant? :) As you say later, humans aren't born sentient. Take away a human's informal and social education, and what you have left will be an animal that's little smarter than a house cat.
remember The Breach Cause both Arcane and the Humans to Slip back as the Old world crumbled and decayed as Civilization unraveled.
Well... Actually we don't know exactly what the breach did, or what the war did, or what might have been caused by deliberate sabotage. I find it very counterintuitive for a nuke sized magic explosion to wipe out human technology globally. Imagine Japan developing nukes in the final months of WWII, and then accidentally nuking themselves. How would that knock the rest of the world back to the stone age? The way and why of what happened has yet to be explained.
If we theorize that arcanes were indeed created (engineered ) then why would one suppose they were created ignorant
I think some of them being ignorant is just like it is in humans a mater of the level of education they received growing up.
Because the only reason humans hake complex machine is for commercial gain, military gain, or publicity. A few arcans made for an X prize wouldn't create what we have today, nor would mass production of a few military models, so if humans did, it must have been the first reason. There is little commercial gain in making what amounts to sentient robots. (Science magazines have actually asked lawyers what woudl happen in that case, and the answer is always that the current court system would grant the robot civil rights.13th amendment et all.) You don't need sentience to look after an old person, or be a pet, or be a sex toy, or even find and/or kill a target. Hence it is likely humans would produce non-sentient products.
Who says Wild arcanes aren't smart....it seems more likely they are just undereducated and Most are a bit feral <snip> who says that there are no Wild arcane Shaman ?
Story tells us they can't be educated (via Clover & others) and shows us they're not much more than animals when we meet the injured feral and her mate.

There might be wild shamans. But they'd probably be rare and not particularly good shamans. There are several instincts that might prevent even social animals from exploring their talents too much.
As for obedience traits remember we're talking about most of the Shaman being Arcans thing about that
Most would submit to the Pack leader or stronger entity ..."the Sprits"
I'm not talking about that. I asking how the spirits were able to 'develop' the shaman ability in domestic arcans while humans were actively breeding them for other reasons. This is like breeding foxes for their fur, and then accidentally producing a fox with fully formed wings. How does one trait get concentrated when a species is actively been selected for another?
Maybe they become the touched ?
<raspberry> I doubt rabies is anything to do with it. Though you raise a good point. The fact that Firetail was the first to get away does not mean she was the first.
I is an certified nut
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

expedient wrote:In the previously linked original outline, Fel talks about wanting to explore how a technology based race reacts to a magical one.

Humm i don't remember reading if the Loreguards/masters know for sure Shaman can drain Crystals

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

Phantom wrote:Humm i don't remember reading if the Loreguards/masters know for sure Shaman can drain Crystals
From Chapter 1:
Kyven shivered just at the thought of that, and it blew a lot of the Loremasters’ stories about Arcans out of the water. If they were so dumb, then how did they explain the Shaman? Shaman were Arcans who could perform magical feats similar to what mana crystals could do, but they didn’t use crystals. They could do the magic on their own, with no help from crystals at all! And what was worse, they could also use crystals like magical batteries, producing magic by draining the crystal instead of doing it themselves.
So the Loremasters are spreading tales that this is one of their abilities, though they don't necessarily know what the process is or proximity required.
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi