ummm...some as of yet unnamed story, chapter 1.

Fel
Weavespinner

ummm...some as of yet unnamed story, chapter 1.

Post by Fel »

Yes, I've gone to the dark side.

Mind 2 things when you read this:

1: This is totally uncharted territory for me on more levels than I can conveniently describe. I've never written in the "furry" genre. I've never written "drama." I've never written in the modern era. I've never had the convenient scapegoat of some magical nasty appearing and running amok when the plot begins to bog down. I'm venturing into the literary equivalent of Maison Ikoku.

If you don't know what that is, then you're just not gonna get it. ;)

2: Given this is vastly uncharted territory for me, expect this to fall short of your expectations in some manner. Even I'll admit right here and now that this isn't my specialty, and I'm feeling it out to try to develop some literary broadness.

If I can make this work and run with it, I'll probably make it a short-story type deal.

For those of you not familiar with the "Furry" genre, might I sum it up thusly:

Wikuni. Just without the magic and Wikuni racial traits.

If someone can think up a name for this, go for it. Cause for right now, the chapter files are based on the name of the main character.
Attachments
kit1.doc
(130.5 KiB) Downloaded 2884 times
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Re: ummm...some as of yet unnamed story, chapter 1.

Post by Lochar »

Freedom from family, finding a Femme.

Alliteration is fun.

Damned good first chapter though, I liked it. Although I can see his sister doing that, I think the outside interference she represents doesn't need to get any more involved that she is. Otherwise it feels like he's not really out on his own, no matter what he says. Big Sis is waiting in the wings to swoop down.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

Well it's not my favorite of your works, Fel, but it's fun.
I didn't think you would go literally "furry" though I think it kinda spoils it because I keep expecting something extraordinary to happen. Humanoid animals aren't the best characters for a realistic world somehow. :) And the angry righteous idealistic characters are a bit typical for fiction literature.
It may not be your forte but it's quite good, I don't know how realistic it would come out in the end cause I just feel "something mysterious is about to happen..." I don't know if you can resist it. :D
Last edited by Metatrone on Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
sabre39j
Novice

Post by sabre39j »

I believe you have a very good first chapter and should continue with this avenue if for no other reason than to learn from the experiance. I enjoy the interaction between the sibilings and we all know how dominant a parent can be when they believe they are right. I am definitly excited to see where this goes but please if at all possible wrap up this story instead of just leaving it to wither on the vine. There are so many great stories that never get finished and as a reader its hard because we yearn to see the next page. Though I do understand the pressure great writters are under from us readers too :)

Overall great start, and very curious (like a cat) to see where you go with this
nightwing1978
Initiate

Post by nightwing1978 »

yes i found it to very intriguing, and am anxiously awaiting more, lol
gesit
Sui'Kun

Post by gesit »

love the feelings m8
please do go on
thanks

ham
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Despite it being called "furry" it really doesn't read any different from the Sennadar or Subjugation series, to me. (Read: I likes, can has more plz? kthxbai)

Also, despite you saying there was no magical or technological devices for you to "fall back on" should things get slow. You have given Kit a rather impressive background, replete with rich conniving relatives.

Also, what is it with all your leading characters loving to fly? :)
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Eh, that part, I'll admit, I was just kinda making up as I went along, and I guess I reached back into prior works for a little help when I was fleshing out Kit's background. Besides, it made good drama for explaining why he's a history major and he has a bad back. ;)

Yeah, the "conniving relatives" are actually the core or the plot later on. The story's gonna be in two parts, first part being guy-meets-girl, girl realizes guy has serious family and personal issues and begins working to fix it, then the second part is guy has it out with his family over girl by bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Of course, some relatives start meddling much earlier than others (*cough cough* Vil *cough cough*).

btw, thanks for both the encouragement and the criticism. I appreciate both in equal measure, so long as the criticism isn't delivered as "omg j00 suxx0r."

And as to finishing it...well, yesterday I kinda forgot to do my homework cause I woke up and started playing with this, then looked at the clock and realized i was gonna be late for class...oops.

I'll probably have the second chapter done this weekend.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

FYI: omg j00 suxx0r!!!11111oneeleven

(This is without me having read the chapter btw)
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

Damn you beat me... :/
Barack
Novice

Post by Barack »

I think this story could make it on its own with Humans rather than Furry. Like all the other stories here your story captivates the imagination.
You should write this one with the thought of getting it published, but only after we have read it to make sure it is another great story. hehe
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

Fel wrote:Yes, I've gone to the dark side.

Mind 2 things when you read this:

1: This is totally uncharted territory for me on more levels than I can conveniently describe. I've never written in the "furry" genre. I've never written "drama." I've never written in the modern era. I've never had the convenient scapegoat of some magical nasty appearing and running amok when the plot begins to bog down. I'm venturing into the literary equivalent of Maison Ikoku.

If you don't know what that is, then you're just not gonna get it. ;)

2: Given this is vastly uncharted territory for me, expect this to fall short of your expectations in some manner. Even I'll admit right here and now that this isn't my specialty, and I'm feeling it out to try to develop some literary broadness.

If I can make this work and run with it, I'll probably make it a short-story type deal.

For those of you not familiar with the "Furry" genre, might I sum it up thusly:

Wikuni. Just without the magic and Wikuni racial traits.

If someone can think up a name for this, go for it. Cause for right now, the chapter files are based on the name of the main character.
I love it so Far .....

I though of 3 possible names for it

The First is "Crazy like a Fox"

the Second depends on how far you take the current story line

the Second is "Kit and Kat"

and last Of course "Sins of my Father" might just work for a good name as well.

Phantom

Wondering if Fel would go for "Silver Spoons and Tin-Foil" for a Title.......humm I'll have to work on that one a bit
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
Ledsmith
Sorcerer

Post by Ledsmith »

I was thinking "Rich Little Poor Boy"

or "The Prodigal Son" Prodigal (sp?)
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

I guess for a title, hmm, right now it's kinda hard because we don't know where Fel will take the story.
IdiotPaste
Sorcerer

Post by IdiotPaste »

Great start Fel.

Theres lots of potential for conflict and I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

As for possible titles, I think something that has to do with Kit's eyes might work. Seeing (no pun intended) as how it's such an important trait in his family and Jessie seemed to be quite captivated by them.
"Any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with."