Spoilers Chapter 4.

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
afrigeek
Da'Shar

Re: Spoilers Chapter 4.

Post by afrigeek »

They could conceivably be the long lost Karinnes, who maybe discovered ascension and had ascended to a higher level of existence has energy based beings and left their bodies...

Plus the personal angle to trying to destroy Kellin does make it likely. But the reasons for why they would attack Karis do not make sense to me at all.
"Bachelors should be heavily taxed. It is not fair that some men should be happier than others." - Oscar Wilde

What actually happened was that George Dubya Bush saw an Iraqi maths teacher carrying a geometry set, accused him of being a member of the notorious Al-gebra movement, and charged him with possessing weapons of maths instruction.
kabalman2000
Sorcerer

Post by kabalman2000 »

4000 quatlous on the consortium not being lost Karrines.
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

My heart is on another species which has adopted Karinne old technology and refined it somewhat but has not advanced it much. They could have killed the Karinnes branch. hehe
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

Well, I for one don't see any reason that they couldn't be a new species of energy based beings. The galaxy is, after all, a very large place. I find it hard to believe that there are only *this* many species in the galaxy. In the galactic scheme of things, even a dozen races is tiny. So I believe that they truly are a different species.

Their motives are what puzzles me. Why this multi pronged attack, when they obviously have weapons FAR superior to most of the Empire? It would be far easier, if they were just interested in conquering the Faey, to do something similar to the US in WWII. Jump into a system, take out the ships and such there, then jump to the next. With their tech, especially being able to jump without the relative delay, it would make such a campaign unstoppable. You would have to place assets at every conceivable attack point, which would weaken you as a whole. The more advanced enemy would rip you to shreds.

The obvious counter to this is to amass your ships in one area and "hold the line," as it were. Even then though, the far advanced tech, and obvious numbers available would make such an defense a bad choice. Even WITH the Karinne ships added to the force, you would have a large problem winning such a battle...

Fel tells us that there are 317 ships in the Consortium's fleet. That many ships on their own would be plenty to take on Jason's forces, including what he has on the ground. My question is, how many did they send to the other battle occuring?

I can't wait to see how Fel gets us out of this mess. Maybe they WILL turn out to be the good guys... You know, they were lied to by the Urumi and sold their weapons under false pretenses? Maybe they're coming to help out because they KNOW they have better fire power. Who knows?
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

The motive angle for assassinating Kellin is the whole problem with an outside race being the culprits To assassinate the Empress makes sense for an outside race not her mate. The most logical culprits are an off shoot of Karrine for a couple of reasons.

1. In subjugation the Urumi were very upset with the Imperium for destroying the Karrines so making them natural allies.

2. I believe it was either Maari or Myleena that stated thet the consortium Tech looked to be based off old Karrine research.

3. The consortium showing up at Karis, if they are a Karrine offshoot Karis is their Homeland.

4. Cybi stated that the crew of the scout ship did not contain a Generation. So we don't know what type of knowledge of the Generations the crew of that ship had. So they wouldn't believe Jason was a true Karrine because of his Imperial connections.
They would have trouble believing Myleena because she comes out of House Merrane, even tho they can trace her lineage to a Karrine Ancestor.

I think the hero of the battle is going to be Cybi. I think the consortium fleet will have Karrine style bio genetic computers and Cybi will be able to mess them up.
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment
Ledsmith
Sorcerer

Post by Ledsmith »

317 Heavy cruiser sized ships, equiped with tech slightly below that af the Karrine ships is more then enough to take Karis. Fel obviously isn't going to get Jason out of this mess in a gun fight. I know we havn't seen these ships do anything but travel through hyperspace in realtime so assuming that they gave the Urumi their most advanced stuff might be a mistake. That being said if we do assume they gave the Urumi their most advanced stuff I doubt they are Karrines since they are using slightly inferiour (sp?) and unstable tech.

The only thing I can think of is that they are some kind of anti-Kimdori. The Kimdori took it upon themselves to find and rebuild the Karrine line. Maybe some Merrane just after the 3rd civil war hired this race to hunt down and make sure all the Karrines were eleminated. All that is needed is a call from Dahnei to cancel the contract on the Karrines heads and all will be well. Just a thought.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Ledsmith wrote:317 Heavy cruiser sized ships, equiped with tech slightly below that af the Karrine ships is more then enough to take Karis. Fel obviously isn't going to get Jason out of this mess in a gun fight. I know we havn't seen these ships do anything but travel through hyperspace in realtime so assuming that they gave the Urumi their most advanced stuff might be a mistake. That being said if we do assume they gave the Urumi their most advanced stuff I doubt they are Karrines since they are using slightly inferiour (sp?) and unstable tech.

The only thing I can think of is that they are some kind of anti-Kimdori. The Kimdori took it upon themselves to find and rebuild the Karrine line. Maybe some Merrane just after the 3rd civil war hired this race to hunt down and make sure all the Karrines were eleminated. All that is needed is a call from Dahnei to cancel the contract on the Karrines heads and all will be well. Just a thought.
Only problem with that is Dahnei has a picture of what they look like and she didn't mention anything..

My theory now that others have mentioned it, the scout he has out looking for other Karrines, are going to find a Large colony of them and come back with a couple hundred ships..

Edit:

I am very very bored at work :P
Ledsmith
Sorcerer

Post by Ledsmith »

The really upsetting thing is that we all know Fel knows how he is going to end it. He is just an evil evil man that enjoys watching us postulate and squirm while he sits their with the next two pages already writen.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Hahahaha, I have to admit it, I have been a little bit.

I will say this, though.

ALL OF YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

*assuming, of course, I'm not lying to throw you off because someone actually did figure it out, so as to keep everyone guessing.

There, now let me continue enjoying my evil.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Fel wrote:Hahahaha, I have to admit it, I have been a little bit.

I will say this, though.

*assuming, of course, I'm not lying to throw you off because someone actually did figure it out, so as to keep everyone guessing.

heh evil Fel, truly evil...

Edit:

*cough* *cough* so how's chap 5 coming? :P
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

(the following will make no sense to you if you don't read Sluggy Freelance.)

Eh, I have to exercise my evil. Someday, I wanna be just like Horribus.

How evil.

And chapter 5 is being actively written right now, I'm just taking a break. I might have it done by tomorrow or Friday.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Mysterious
Sorcerer

Post by Mysterious »

ANTIcarrot wrote:
Mysterious wrote:4. The technology is too advanced and uses a lot of theories and fields that the Karinnes were already familiar with and could fit in nicely that the survivors had to start off from scratch but achieved progress faster because they already knew what they were capable of.
<sigh> Assuming that everyone except group A is too stupid to develop something is more than bordering on racism. I wish that some forum members would stop seeing such assumptions as unquestionable truth.

Every species in Insurrection has presumably at some point invented the electric light bulb. Does that mean they're all off shoots of th human race? <sarcasm> 'Cause, you know, only humans and their off-shoots are intelligent enough to do that.</sarcasm>

It may be the case that they are in some way related to the old Kerrine, but the method being used to 'prove' it sucks.
I believe ANTIcarrot that you are not familiar with History or more particularly with Ancient History. Has anyone not asked when at the height of the Roman Empire they did not ascend to a Renaissance period or better yet Industrialisation :?: They had all the ancient works and a huge capital and trade base but in the end all they did was refine what they knew until the barbarians conquered them.

Advancements in technology requires a highly adaptive society, a lot of free capital and the correct underlying infrastructure. But most importantly there needs to be people that have a will and drive to discover new ideas and to utilise them. This is why USA is accounts for around 25% of the world economy. They have all of the stated above in abundance.

Every country, or in this case species, has the potential to achieve breakthroughs where they thought it was not possible. But potential and actual achievements are two very separate things. Why did Industrialisation happen in the West if the underlying theories and ideas came from the East :?: There can be various Social, Economic, Political and Environmental reasons why the other races could not have achieved what the Karinnes have achieved. A real world example right now is that the USA has a ban of certain exports of technology to China as there was a military use for these technologies. China cannot utilise, let alone understand or be able to build their own, if they cannot have access to the technology itself.

I still believe that the technology is too similar and that would mean that the industrial base underlying it would have to be similar as well.

Of course I could be wrong that the Consortium is actually a surviving branch of Karinnes as we all know Fel is a very evil man. :D

Mysterious

P.S. Can't wait for the next Chapter :!:
You're not FAT... You're just horizontally gifted :)
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

Fel, you are an evil evil man...

And I love it...

Can't wait to read the next chapter. :twisted:
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

Fel wrote:Hahahaha, I have to admit it, I have been a little bit.

I will say this, though.

Now this sounds like a politician not a writer :lol:
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

boballab wrote:Now this sounds like a politician not a writer :lol:
You haven't been here long, have you? :wink: Fel loves to do this to us from time to time... he sees the sharks circling and he likes to throw some chum into the water to really get things moving... :twisted:

I did have a question Fel... You said this was going to be a short story, but we're already have 4 and we're waiting on chapter 5. Might this turn into a full book? Please? :D :wink: :D