Spirit Walker - Spoilers - Chapters 1 through part of 14

Caution: Spoilers
Discussions about the Spirit Walker and Shadow Walker stories.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
nicolai
Da'Shar

Re: Spirit Walker - Spoilers

Post by nicolai »

Fel wrote:
Lochar wrote: An eidetic memory, and Kyven's features (most likely his eyes) catch her.
Cookie!
Hmmm. So Kyven's eyes catch her attention. This will cause some more-than-slightly-frantic reasoning on her part! Wonder how that's going to work out? :shock: Gonna be interesting. I'm sure there will be some interesting fall-out, too.

Anyway, Fel, some fascinating writing here. While I wouldn't object to a chapter a day, I also realize that's more than a little unreasonable. Still, I am allowed to dream, aren't I?

Ah, Lochar? The Shadow Fox specifically stated that humans have never seen a shadow fox (I assume (stupid, I know) that means alive or dead). She also stated that he is the only shadow fox arcan. So the humans, at least until Fel changes the rules again, will probably continue to believe that Kyven is a mutated gray fox.

Oh, Fel, did you catch the continuity error I posted earlier? (I probably shouldn't have done it in the chapter announcement thread, though. mea culpa.) :oops: About Dancer's companion, Night, being introduced as a canine and then shapeshifting to a panther a couple paragraphs later? Or was that intentional?

Nicolai
Last edited by nicolai on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
An objective definition of "Political Correctness":

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
zedd
Sui'Kun

Post by zedd »

Fel,
Can you tell us how long the story will be in your current plan? I know it can change, but I am hoping/praying for a 2 or 3 books story :mrgreen:
Ledsmith
Sorcerer

Post by Ledsmith »

miraborn wrote: I was playing around with Google Earth, but distances didn't quite match up.
Me too. I was trying to figure out if Avannar was New York, but I think Staten Island and Manhatten are too big for the Black Keep and the Loremasters headquarters respectively. Philidelphia breafly crossed my mind but it didn't seem to jive with how I was picturing things.
miraborn wrote:I find myself drawing a Lord of the Rings-esque map in my head and overlaying it on top of a map of the eastern seaboard... Anyone good with Photoshop?
The problem with that is that Fel is very tricky with the way Kyven runs it is very hard to judge distances. Although I think he pretty much gave away Chesapeak Bay with his talk of "The Great Blue Bay" named after the crabs that dwell there. Any body have any experience with the Virginia and Carolina coasts? Maybe we can nail down Stinger Bay with his discription of the jelly fish.
IdiotPaste
Sorcerer

Post by IdiotPaste »

It's always about the east coast, isn't it? How 'bout some west coast love for once?

I'm gonna go bump me some Tupac.
"Any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with."
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Well, y'all caught me. ;)

Yes, the setting is loosely based on the geography of the Eastern United States. So, those of you with maps can try to figure out where the cities and landmarks are.

Yall keep bitching that you have no maps of my worlds, well, now you can get one from google and have fun trying to match up cities in the story with real physical locations. Just a fair warning, some of them will not match. It's LOOSELY based, there will be some additions, subtrations, and minor alterations. ;)

And hell, I didn't have to build a world from scratch either, at least from the map point of view.

Here is your one and only affirmation: The Great Blue Bay is indeed Chesapeake Bay, and Stinger Bay is the southern tip, about roughly where Norfolk and Virginia Beach is.

And yes, Chesapeake Bay is quite famous for the blue crabs that live there...and rather infamous for its jellyfish.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
lewdtherin
Talent

Post by lewdtherin »

Although I've loved every single one of Fel's stories (that I've read), I find myself disappointed with the direction in which Spirit Walker has gone. Anyone else feel the same way? :(
Last edited by lewdtherin on Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nightwing1978
Initiate

Post by nightwing1978 »

not at all, i find myself absorbed into it, we were told before hand that this story would be dark
zedd
Sui'Kun

Post by zedd »

lewdtherin wrote:Although I've loved every single one of Fel's stories (that I've read), I find myself disappointed with the direction in which Spirit Walker has gone. Anyone else feel the same way? :(
not at all.
Elsh
Initiate
Location: Under the cupboard, reading chapter 14 of spiritwalker.

Post by Elsh »

lewdtherin wrote:Although I've loved every single one of Fel's stories (that I've read), I find myself disappointed with the direction in which Spirit Walker has gone. Anyone else feel the same way? :(
hehe I registered just to reply to this comment (In the interest of full disclosure, I once had an account and I've been thinking of re-registering for a while anyway)

So far, this is on track to become my favorite book by fel. I like the universe and like the characters. My only issue with the book is that I wish I knew more about the environment, morality, and religion in this world. These are things of course that one learns over time and only solidly grasps around the 5th or 6th book in the series (I'm sure Fel will take it that far and dethrone both Tarrin and Jason as the hero of heroes around here)

Fel, I really really like this book and can't wait for more chapters. It's converted me from the guy who visited here every 3-5 months, to the guy who visited here every week, to the guy who visits every hour in hopes that you've put up a new chapter.

You deserve a freaking nebugo (Nebula+Hugo)!
Missing chapter 14, making my way through chapter 15 and awaiting chapter 16 of Spirit Walker.
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

My question is why? What do you feel disappointed about?

J-Man5
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

I would reserve judgment on the point for now, for several reasons. But disappointment is quite harsh. I just wish Fel would break the bad guy - good guy bipolar world cause I'm not sure he can pull off this "realistic" fantasy, as I call it. I mean the cynical type of world I think he is aiming for is my favourite, and beats all other environments by a lot. Still I've never read a black and white one with only one main character and only one bad guy(or a faceless group of them). The lonely struggling flawless protagonist doesn't seem to suite it. It's more about the shades of grey - a lot of characters with a variety of personal characteristics and purposes. Still I really look forward to each chapter very very much.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Not at all , though I do understand your sentiment.There is a definitely a darker mood or theme, that permeates the story, that wasn't at all present in Fel's other work.

Though to be honest,I think that those stories were in a way a spring board for this one. we have explored and enjoyed High Fantasy with Tarrin and co , Delved into The David verses Goliath story that is subjugation(though with a hot Goliath , for sure) and experienced The Jefferson's meet the Kennedy's. All great, fascinating , sometimes mind provoking and fun However,we haven't yet had a story that examines the human condition as this one does. No punches held back, stark black on white. A true in depth look at ourselves warts and all.

A true Artist explores the boundaries of his craft , and that what Fel's doing ( or AT least i think he is :P ).I remember reading about the the guy who wrote shogun , who then came out with this novel, that nobody liked too much. At the time , he said , he wrote it because it had to be written.Seems it was written about his experiences, as a POW in a Japanese camp, and it proved a catharsis for his soul.

In truth, I much prefer a much lighter " happier "read, with preferably A lot of blue people running around in it .( hint hint)However I cant deny, that spirit walker , is at the same time both compelling and illuminating , sometimes painfully so.

Then again, I am Aussie, we all deeply admire the little battler, that doesn't give in no matter what life gives him. maybe that has something to do with it.
DigitalMaestro
Sui'Kun

Post by DigitalMaestro »

This story is definitely still in development. It's moving a bit slow right now, but we're only on chapter 7. Books usually start slow. And I agree with Elsh. This definitely has the potential to be another large series like the two sennadar series.

I check back nearly every hour for updates and I can't wait for more to develop.

Keep it up Fel!
Cougar2k2
Sui'Kun

Post by Cougar2k2 »

DigitalMaestro wrote: I check back nearly every hour for updates and I can't wait for more to develop.

Keep it up Fel!
Ditto Maestro, same here.
"I can control my destiny, but not my fate. Destiny means there are opportunities to turn right or left, but fate is a one-way street. I believe we all have the choice as to whether we fulfil our destiny, but our fate is sealed."
--Paulo Coelho
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Cougar2k2 wrote:
DigitalMaestro wrote: I check back nearly every hour for updates and I can't wait for more to develop.

Keep it up Fel!
Ditto Maestro, same here.

Dittos the above :D