Demons Bane, Chapter 4 Discussion [SPOILER]

Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Re: Demons Bane, Chapter 4 Discussion [SPOILER]

Post by Shadowhawk »

Were_Fan wrote:Some are hard to get into a liquid phase and have no known solid phase (think helium).
Helium has solid phase, although you have to apply additional high pressure. It is because solid helium has higher entropy than neighbour liquid phase. Unlike any other substance it doesn't solidify at absolute zero at normal pressures.

Shadowhawk, in nitpicky physicst mode ;)
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
Lunchbox
Initiate

Post by Lunchbox »

Were_Fan wrote:
Lunchbox wrote:speaking to animals is a innate druidic power
Fury is more than just an animal and actually seems quite intelligent. She did understand Tarrin near the Core where all powers cease to function. However, Tarrin the Mishara Were-God is a rule breaker. Even his friends were to be allowed to break the One Rule that NOBODY is allowed to break without being killed by the Deva. I wonder just how many other rules don't apply to him.
--
Jim
it says when he bought her that she is like the shadow dragon as in she lives in the abyss and it is her natural habitat. it also states that she is a ANIMAL of the abyss. And about the Deva, people are known to escape them by fleeing the scene of the crime
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Lunchbox wrote:
Were_Fan wrote:
Lunchbox wrote:speaking to animals is a innate druidic power
Fury is more than just an animal and actually seems quite intelligent. She did understand Tarrin near the Core where all powers cease to function. However, Tarrin the Mishara Were-God is a rule breaker. Even his friends were to be allowed to break the One Rule that NOBODY is allowed to break without being killed by the Deva. I wonder just how many other rules don't apply to him.
--
Jim
it says when he bought her that she is like the shadow dragon as in she lives in the abyss and it is her natural habitat. it also states that she is a ANIMAL of the abyss. And about the Deva, people are known to escape them by fleeing the scene of the crime
You can get away from the Deva by fleeing the scene of the crime, but what the Solar said made it sound like the Deva should make it very easy for Tarrin's friends to slip away, even if they were able to be caught.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Were_Fan
Katzh-dashi
Location: NorAm, Earth, SOL, Milky Way, GalacZip 314-159-265-358-979

Post by Were_Fan »

sOmeone wrote:
Were_Fan wrote:A few, such as CO2, don't usually have a liquid phase (think CO2->dry ice evaporating).
Not true, Carbon Dioxide has a liquid phase. You have to take Carbon Dioxide gas, then compress it, at the same time removing the heat from the compression. :-P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CO2
Please note that I mentioned "usually". Perhaps I should have been more specific. Think of "usually" as as out in the open where we all live our lives, not compressed in a tank. Out in the open, you can watch solid CO2 "dry ice" simply "evaporate" into a mist then disappear. If you cool CO2 without compressing, the gas changes directly to a solid. Out in the open, you can even see trucks transporting liquid CO2 in pressurized tyankers. So, yes, CO2 does have a liquid state but as I said, it is unusual.

Want to see something "unusual" for water? Wait until the temperature is below zero F. Heat some water in a microwave or on the stove until it is over 200F. The temp is not critical and sometimes hot tap water is hot enough but this doesn't work with cold water. Take a coffee cup of that hot water outside and throw it into the air. Instant snow! The liquid water transforms into solid ice while making a "rushing" sound.

Something else unusual for water is that it CAN burn in a manner of speaking. VERY hot fires disassociate the hydrogen and oxygen. The gases then recombine at some point burning the hydrogen. This was a real problem with a coal mine fire several years ago. Can also happen with burning magnesium.

--
Jim
Were_Fan
Katzh-dashi
Location: NorAm, Earth, SOL, Milky Way, GalacZip 314-159-265-358-979

Post by Were_Fan »

Shadowhawk wrote:
Were_Fan wrote:Some are hard to get into a liquid phase and have no known solid phase (think helium).
Helium has solid phase, although you have to apply additional high pressure. It is because solid helium has higher entropy than neighbour liquid phase. Unlike any other substance it doesn't solidify at absolute zero at normal pressures.

Shadowhawk, in nitpicky physicst mode ;)
<humor on>Cool!<humor off>

Oops! When this ol' man went to school, there wasn't such a thing as solid helium. Just goes to show what happens when one doesn't keep up with physics! I do remember liquid helium is most "unusual". <snicker> Seriously, Liquid He can exhibit some apparently bizarre behavior such as superfluidity.

This got my curiosity up. Solid hydrogen has also apparently been made by supercooling hydrogen with liquid helium to around 3 to 4 Kelvin. Aarggh! Another thing I "knew" shot to hell.

--
Jim
Lunchbox
Initiate

Post by Lunchbox »

Lochar wrote:
Lunchbox wrote:
Were_Fan wrote: Fury is more than just an animal and actually seems quite intelligent. She did understand Tarrin near the Core where all powers cease to function. However, Tarrin the Mishara Were-God is a rule breaker. Even his friends were to be allowed to break the One Rule that NOBODY is allowed to break without being killed by the Deva. I wonder just how many other rules don't apply to him.
--
Jim
You can get away from the Deva by fleeing the scene of the crime, but what the Solar said made it sound like the Deva should make it very easy for Tarrin's friends to slip away, even if they were able to be caught.
All i am saying is that people are known to escape the Deva, not that tarrin didnt already have a head start
thisandthat
Sorcerer

Post by thisandthat »

Shadowhawk wrote:
RedManX wrote:And it is composite material. I wonder what would happen if wood was heated in neutral (oxygen free) atmosphere....
You get charcoal.
n. A black, porous, carbonaceous material, 85 to 98 percent carbon, produced by the destructive distillation of wood and used as a fuel, filter, and absorbent. :shock:
"Molon labe!" ("Come and get them!")

—King Leonidas of Sparta,
when asked to lay down his force's arms.
Radar
Novice

Post by Radar »

"Fury"

"Go make an appointment."

Priceless.