Attention Aussie Internet Users

Greymist
Weavespinner

Re: Attention Aussie Internet Users

Post by Greymist »

I think I read about this, isn't iinet trialing it just to slap the govt in the face, and didn't their CEO say it was a farce?

This reminds me of something that happened in NZ with the power companies. One person who needed a respirator died because they had their power cut off after not paying their bill, (and after having worked for a power company for over 4 years I know how long some has to pay their bill, which is to say a LONG time). There was this huge outrage and inquest deal with the govt getting involved. The end result is every single power company has to introduce new policies where if someone says they're medically dependant on electricity then they can't be cut off for not paying their bill, and their case has to be refered to WINZ (Work and Income New Zealand, the social welfare department).

What this has done is cost the power companies millions because they're having unpaid debt sitting around and their call centres are having to jump through all sorts of loops which wastes their time, and in the business world, time is money.

Anyway, sorry for getting off topic, I just really got fucked off about that case because it costs the companies money which in turn increases costs to customers when in the end it's not the fault of the companies. Just like the Aussie thing where ISPs will give worse service, charge more when really parents should just be responsible.

Rant Rant Rant Rant
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Greymist wrote:I think I read about this, isn't iinet trialing it just to slap the govt in the face, and didn't their CEO say it was a farce?[/url]
Yes, and yes. But I don't agree with their volunteering to sign up to it - imo, all ISPs should tell the Gov't to gtfo.

Greymist wrote:There was this huge outrage and inquest deal with the govt getting involved. The end result is every single power company has to introduce new policies where if someone says they're medically dependant on electricity then they can't be cut off for not paying their bill
A similar thing happened in Australia back in 2003/2002, but with phone services. Seeing what happened from the inside was quite interesting. There's so many stories I wish I could tell :)
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

Spec8472 wrote:Seeing what happened from the inside was quite interesting. There's so many stories I wish I could tell :)
Everyone in IT should make it their goal to work in a utility for a few years of their life I think ;) So many interesting things to be learnt.
Mad Monk
Sui'Kun

Post by Mad Monk »

Looks like the ISPs are rejecting the plan.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7779547.stm
Rational people have supported the worst dictators of history - Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc.

I'm mad - at least I have an excuse for what I do.
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

Oh my gooses. Below is a link to a story saying the Australian govt is trialing a P2P block. And to think, I was considering moving to Australia once my 2 year stint in the UK was over ;)

"Technology that filters peer-to-peer and BitTorrent traffic does exist and it is anticipated that the effectiveness of this will be tested in the live pilot trial," Senator Conroy said.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/story ... 39,00.html
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Greymist wrote:Oh my gooses. Below is a link to a story saying the Australian govt is trialing a P2P block. And to think, I was considering moving to Australia once my 2 year stint in the UK was over ;)

"Technology that filters peer-to-peer and BitTorrent traffic does exist and it is anticipated that the effectiveness of this will be tested in the live pilot trial," Senator Conroy said.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/story ... 39,00.html
Yes, what our dear Senator doesn't realise is that it's still a futile exercise.