CH. 18 THOUGHTS  HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY SPOILERS!!

Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Re: CH. 18 THOUGHTS  HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY SPOILERS!!

Post by Shadowhawk »

Be wewy quiet. I'm hunting [s]wabbits[/s] The One.

Seriously, some time ago there was a discussion here how to true kill Demon, with the Demon(ess) in question being Marlith Shaz'Baket (you haven't forgot about her, have you?). One of the ways was to overload the demon's body (his/her icon), which requires divine amounts of energy unfortunately, like Tarrin was contemplating for a minute doing that to Jegojah, the Doomwalker.

I guess either rules changed (it wasn't, by the way, confirmed by Fel himself), or Demon Lord is made of harder stuff and this trick wouldn't work on him...

BTW. I wonder if The One would recognize Tarrin in his human form... and if Tarrin has his godly shapeshifting abilities (shift into anything he touches). That would be very handy...
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

There's still the godly aura to take into consideration, and I don't think that changes, regardless of what form he's in.  The demons and such knew it was Tarrin in dragon form.  And that aura is probably like a fingerprint.  Unique to that person.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

mommydoom wrote:
This may be a dumb question, but if Tarrin could use the All on Pyrosia, why can't Triana?

MommyDoom
She can.

BUT, if she does, it will kill her.  That All has no guiding force, and just like Tarrin did, she'd have to go through in exhaustive, intricate detail HOW to go about doing just about anything, and that would cause any spell to be cast to draw so much energy that it would kill the caster.

There's no guiding force behind the All to "take shortcuts," as it were.  It's not as simple as just having image and intent, then allowing the All to go about accomplishing that task in the most efficient manner THAT IT SEES FIT.  This All can't do that, and that turns even the simplest Druid spell into a spell requiring so much power that it kills.

Tarrin survived to complete his spell because he's a Mi'Shara.  Triana isn't.

But, I'll admit that if anyone had the fortitude, patience, and maybe the insanity to try to tame the All of Pyrosia and FIND a way to make it work, it would be Triana.  She's the absolute best there is when it comes to Druidic magic.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

lochar wrote:There's still the godly aura to take into consideration, and I don't think that changes, regardless of what form he's in.  The demons and such knew it was Tarrin in dragon form.  And that aura is probably like a fingerprint.  Unique to that person.
Still, fingerprint isn't something you can check/see on first (and even second) glance. It requires study. So The One would perhaps know if studying Tarrin-as-he-is aura closely, that it is god of very minor power, few followers, god of fire, duty, protection.

But maybe aura is something like scent, mannierism, the way sb. moves, pattern of speech...

I wonder if Tarrin could mask his aura to resemble e.g. Archon's or Deva's aura.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

fel wrote:
But, I'll admit that if anyone had the fortitude, patience, and maybe the insanity to try to tame the All of Pyrosia and FIND a way to make it work, it would be Triana.  She's the absolute best there is when it comes to Druidic magic.
Hmm, so is this a Hint that Triana might do something with the All?
Wildcat
Katzh-dashi

Post by Wildcat »

She's always been one for a challenge... but she's always known the risks.  I could see her trying if she thought it was something only the All could do and something she desperately needed/wanted.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
Dash
Sorcerer

Post by Dash »

I have a vague feeling that Sarraya summoned Tarrins bow on some ship. He just had to imagine it?

Tarrin also seems to be able to summon things that don't belong to him because he touched it (e.g. One's shield)? Using wizard magic?

A dragon (Sapphire?), and  Triana is coming to Pyrosia.

Mix all that together, couldn't one of them devise a way to summon the sword? Or wouldn't it work because the sword is broken and they don't know what it feels like now?

I think Mist touched the sword, not sure who else. Can Mist learn Arcane magic to summon it? :P
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

If there are any Wizards in the Pyrosian contingent, they may make Shadow's Bane stronger by summoning animal-like (unarmed) demons and giving them to shadow. Either if it is away, by compelling demon (binding them and giving order) to go find shadow, or if Demon's Bane is near, just by summoning demons: strong protection wouldn't be necessary.

There is always risk that Demon Lord tries to order summoned demons...

What do you think about it?
mbeau
Sorcerer

Post by mbeau »

dash wrote:I have a vague feeling that Sarraya summoned Tarrins bow on some ship. He just had to imagine it?

Tarrin also seems to be able to summon things that don't belong to him because he touched it (e.g. One's shield)? Using wizard magic?

A dragon (Sapphire?), and  Triana is coming to Pyrosia.

Mix all that together, couldn't one of them devise a way to summon the sword? Or wouldn't it work because the sword is broken and they don't know what it feels like now?

I think Mist touched the sword, not sure who else. Can Mist learn Arcane magic to summon it? :P
I don't think that would work. Sarrya could summon his (Tarrin's) bow because he had made it himself and was intimately familiar with it. He *knew* the bow and, as such, the All knew which bow Sarrya wanted when she summoned it.

From what Fel has said, the All on Pyrosia has no such "guiding force" and isn't able to take the path of least resistance. To get the All to do something on Pyrosia, you need to detail, in explicit detail, what it is to due. Only a god could do that.

Add that to the fact that Triana isn't familiar with his sword, and she probably couldn't summon it either. Plus, like you mentioned, breaking the sword changed it. Mist knows what the sword looks like whole. She has never seen it broken, and doesn't know what it looks like.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Since Dolanna knows what the feel of Tarrin's divine power is, couldn't she while being the guiding mind for the Pyrosia Weave use the same spell that Kerri did and try to detect exactly where the pieces are?

I can guarentee you that there's only going to be two responses to that paticular weave.  Piece one and piece two, since Tarrin himself isn't there.

Support my brother.
MechCraft
Initiate

Post by MechCraft »

when mist and jesmind tore up tarrin's house and things were scattered every where tarrin and jenna used a weave that brought the broken pieces together.

if dolanna still has a piece of tarrin and because the sword is a piece of tarrin. shouldent she be able to use the weave to pull the sword pieces to her? since she has some of tarrins blood.
When the world bows before you, dont forget to wipe your feet.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

lochar wrote:Since Dolanna knows what the feel of Tarrin's divine power is, couldn't she while being the guiding mind for the Pyrosia Weave use the same spell that Kerri did and try to detect exactly where the pieces are?

I can guarentee you that there's only going to be two responses to that paticular weave.  Piece one and piece two, since Tarrin himself isn't there.
You mean the weave searching for divine fingerprint, like Karri did searching for Tarrin via searching for person with shaeram and Fara'nae brands simulteneously, but this time searching for Tarrin divine power? I'm afraid it wouldn't work, because by breaking the sword removed the access to divine powers. So sword still might have Tarrin's divine fingerprint/aura in the Weave, but very, very small.

Or might have not.
Last edited by Shadowhawk on Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

shadowhawk wrote: You mean the weave searching for divine fingerprint, like Karri did searching for Tarrin via searching for person with shaeram and Fara'nae brands simulteneously, but this time searching for Tarrin divine power? I'm afraid it wouldn't work, because by breaking the sword removed the access to divine powers. So sword still might have Tarrin's divine fingerprint/aura in the Weave, but very, very small.
Small perhaps, but still there. It's just a matter of noticing it, and that might take some time. It'd still work though.
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

weresmilodon wrote: Small perhaps, but still there. It's just a matter of noticing it, and that might take some time. It'd still work though.

And besides, the sharaems only have the touch of Niami on them and Kerri was able to find them.  This is the actual artifact, which might as well be the direct icon.  Even a slight impression by them is going to be as much as a sharaem's impression on the Weave was.

Support my brother.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

lochar wrote:And besides, the sharaems only have the touch of Niami on them and Kerri was able to find them.  This is the actual artifact, which might as well be the direct icon.  Even a slight impression by them is going to be as much as a sharaem's impression on the Weave was.
And even if breaking the sword caused it to have no divine signature, you can always try to devise spell (either Sorcerers, Weavespinner or Arcane) to look for Adamantite (this blcak metal Tarrin sword is made of). It would be supposedly not large range spell, but it could b used to locate not only parts of Tarrin's Sword of Fire parts, but also Demon's Bane shadow, unless it/he lost his sword.

But I think Fel will make it more dificult... or make some additional troubles on the way (like some Elementalist or native Pyrosian Sorcerer finding one part of Tarrin's sword). Or, as you have said, Demons finding one part, Sennadarians the other.