Music (Contains mild spoilers for Subjugation)

J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Re: Music (Contains mild spoilers for Subjugation)

Post by J-Man5 »

Fiferguy wrote:
J-Man5 wrote:Or the Sons of the Pioneers.
J-Man5
I know who the Sons of the Pioneers were... Not my favorite, but not bad either... Does that make me old that I know who they were?
Yep. You are officially old. Now give me all the cookies. They are bad for you.

J-Man5
MommyDoom
Keeper of the Spoon of Doom

Post by MommyDoom »

Well, I have 2000 or so songs ripped to this laptop and I just cycle through them randomly whilst here at work.

Current favorites:
Clint Black
Little River Band
Anne Murray
Ladysmith Black Mambazo (South African backup band for Paul Simon on the Graceland album)
Boston
Styx
Alan Parsons Project
Gipsy Kings
Toby Keith
Mahlathini & the Mahotella Queens (south african)
Eurythmics
Loggins and Messina
Buffy The Vampire Slayer soundtrack
Supertramp
and about anything Bluegrass... since I have two banjos in the basement that I stopped playing about a year ago. I listen to bluegrass to torture myself.

MD
Blood begets more blood as dog begets dog.
Death generates death as the vulture breeds the vulture.
But the voice I heard today said, "Love your neighbor. Do good to those who despitefully use you".
- From the movie, "Ben Hur"
afrigeek
Da'Shar

Post by afrigeek »

I must be really old...though not 60s type...more like 80s. I am thinking Milli Vanilli's girl I'm gonna miss you, Beegees' Staying Alive, etc Those are the most common songs playing in my car most of the time...:-)
"Bachelors should be heavily taxed. It is not fair that some men should be happier than others." - Oscar Wilde

What actually happened was that George Dubya Bush saw an Iraqi maths teacher carrying a geometry set, accused him of being a member of the notorious Al-gebra movement, and charged him with possessing weapons of maths instruction.
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

afrigeek wrote:I must be really old...though not 60s type...more like 80s. I am thinking Milli Vanilli's girl I'm gonna miss you, Beegees' Staying Alive, etc Those are the most common songs playing in my car most of the time...:-)
LOL that got me thinking what Songs would go with certian parts of Sub

I can see "Staying Alive" when Jason is Flying through the Streets of Draconis to reach the palace.

I also Invisioned Twisted Sisters "We're Not gona take it" Playing when jason Releases him Video telling the Faey About the Legion and the War.

I also Flashed to Queens "Flash" when they are Flying the Scout ship into earth to Resuce the Legion.

Can i can almost see Playing Alice coopers "the Man behind the Mask" when Jason first enters the Palace in front of the Siann.

And of Course When Jyslin see's Jasons Car plastered on INN and knows the Faey have him .....the Stones "Paint it black"

He He..... and Kiss "God of thunder" when the Marbles are released on the station.

I can't decided if it shold be used for when the Kimdori arrive or when jason First starts taking out the Trilanne ships ....but I see Toby keith and willie Nelson's "Whiskey for my men...Beer for my horses " it's about the only country song i really like.

What others do you see Or should we give each character their own theme song too ?

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

Phantom wrote:I can see "Staying Alive" when Jason is Flying through the Streets of Draconis to reach the palace.
I can actually hear several different songs here:

"Another One Bites the Dust"--Queen
"Born to be Wild"--Steppenwolf
"Danger Zone"--Kenny Loggins
"Gimme Some Lovin'"--Spencer Davis Group
"Gimme Three Steps"--Lynyrd Skynyrd
"Highway to Hell"--AC/DC
"How Do You Like Me Now?"--Toby Keith
"One Vision"--Queen
"You Shook Me All Night Long"--AC/DC

But probably the best one that I thought of was "Time Stands Still at the Iron Hill" by Blind Guardian.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

When Jason deploys that super-bass thingy over DC - Josh Abrahams - Totally Addicted to Bass.
For some reason it's been attributed to Puretone on this <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF1X8XX6N-Y">Youtube clip</a> (audioquality is crap, and does no justice to this clip).

Fwiw - Josh Abrahams and Amiel Damion are both aussie.
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

Spec8472 wrote:Fwiw - Josh Abrahams and Amiel Damion are both aussie.
Figures... :twisted:
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Fiferguy wrote:"Highway to Hell"--AC/DC
Oh, hell yes. Akka Dakka ftw.

I was thinking one of those early Jamiroquai songs at first with the fast beat - but AC/DC is appropriate.

(Another Aussie Band) :)

Edit: I was thinking of Cosmic Girl from Jamiroquai, which, when re-listening isn't appropriate -- I thought it was faster, turns out it was just the cars in the <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evSMfV455QM">vidclip</a> :/ (He does mention Hyperspace though)
miraborn
Da'Shar

Post by miraborn »

For me, I've had the soundtrack from "The Hunt for Red October" going through my head when I think of the chase scenes... Lots of James Horner, John Williams, Danny Elfman, and Basil Poledouris scores have good music for this book.
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

miraborn wrote:For me, I've had the soundtrack from "The Hunt for Red October" going through my head when I think of the chase scenes... Lots of James Horner, John Williams, Danny Elfman, and Basil Poledouris scores have good music for this book.
LOL I forgot Danny Elfman and Thomas Dolby .....Good music for when he's on Karis to Cybi We can use "Weird Science" and "She Blinded me with Science"

another good one for jason's theme would be Planet P Project "Why Me"
Planet P Project - Why Me Lyrics

sittin' up here
watchin' all the lights blink down below
the earth is turning
why does it go so slow
thinkin' bout the girl I left behind
Houston can you hear me
or have I lost my mind
why me?
why me?
I was waiting on the pad
all systems were go
the man up in the tower
was enjoying the show
then I got this feeling
that I never had before
hey let me out of here
what am I here for
why me?
why me?
there must be athousand other guys
must be some other way to look good in your eyes
why am I up here, what do they see in me
must be athousand other places to be
why me
the last man to be here
was never heard from again
he won't be back this way
till 2010...
and now I'm riding on a fountain of fire
with my back to the earth
I go higher and higher
why me?
why me?
there must be a thousand other guys
must be some other way
to look good in your eyes
why am I up here, what do they see in me
must be athousand other places to be
why me
take anyone but me
why me
But some others i thought of were

Scorpions......................"Hit Between The Eyes"
Chris De Burgh.............."Don't Pay the Ferryman"
AC/DC..........................."Dirty Deeds"
Warren Zevon..............."Lawyers, Guns and Money"
Fine Young Cannibals...."She Drives me Crazy"
Kim Carnes..................."Bette Davis Eyes"
Queen..........................."We Will Rock You"
Golden Earring..............."Twilight Zone"
Rockwell........................"Somebody's Watching Me"
Corey Hart....................."Sunglasses At Night"
Genesis.........................."I Can't Dance"
Genesis.........................."Land Of Confusion"
Men at work...................."Who can it be now"

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
Sbudda
Initiate

Post by Sbudda »

I like some country, mainly old school (ie. Hank Williams Sr.), and great intrumentalism (ie. Charlie Daniels - there's somethig about a man with a fiddle). The rest of it, I hate, and I'm from Georgia. Way down yonder on the Chattahoochie is one exception. As is that David Alan Coe song about momma and the train (the name of which I cannot seem to remember). Bluegrass and non-vocal acts are also exempt from my wrath.

Being from da ATL, I have an affinity for Outkast and other Dirty South groups. My wife is a big fan of booty rap, which has worn off on me pretty throughly too. That song My Baby Daddy is an awesome song. I'm also a fan of West Coast gangsta too; but really it's more funny to me than anything. To listen to Snoop talk about smoking pot and then killing people is as ridiculus to me as when he talks about cocking his Glock (cause a Glock doesn't have anything to cock). You know, like listening to Alice Cooper and believing that he is really a murdering satanist, or Rob Zombie is anything more than a muscally inclined nerd.

I'm a fan of 70's rock, 80's pop & new wave, and since I grew up to 90's alternative I like that too. Except U2 and REM who can kiss my butt. Also for some reason death metal is on my list right now too.

The big genres for me though are punk, ska, and reggae (and reggae's sub genres). I don't mean that POS nu-punk, I'm more on the line of OpIvy, Choking Victim, The Damned, etc. Blink 182 - though I'm not opposed to them - is not punk. Ska-wise, I'm a fan of 3rd Wave and ska-core mainly, though you gotta respect 1st and 2nd wave - ska is about roots you know. I'm deep in a reggae phase right now though, so that's much of what I listen to.

It's funny when my iPod takes me from rap lyrics ("she could even get killed, I don't give a * and I don't think I ever will") to reggae lyrics ("baby girl, why do you cry? wipe those tears from your eyes") - the dichotomy of it all cracks me up.

In responce to all you old fogies who need to understand lyrics, I just have to say that you CAN understand most lyrics provided you know the dialect they are sung in. When I first got into reggae, I couldn't understand a thing.... now it's pretty clear, even with deejays like Capleton. Though I have to admit myself, if I have to learn to like music now, I'm pretty much destined to fail.

I'm also a huge dork who likes foreign music, though primarily in genres that I already enjoy. Los Fabulosos Cadillacs is a great ska band from Argentina, хлеб is a great ska-core band from Russia, Gentleman is a great reggae band from Germany, 99 Posse is a good rap/electronica group from Italy, etc.

Finally, being the proud southern gentleman that I am I have to yell at michaelsuave...:twisted:
michaelsuave wrote:Oh yes, I'm so JEALOUS of country music... (read sarcastically if you can't get the drift*) I mean, who wouldn't want to be an inbred hillbilly married to his sister/cousin living in an arkansas trailer making moonshine and watching nascar... with a family tree that doesn't fork. Yep, boy, I wish I was a country boy.
MS, I'm telling you here and now - there is nothing wrong with making moonshine - but NASCAR really does suck.
Phantom wrote:"She Blinded me with Science"
She's tidied up, and I can't find anything! Yeah, we played it at our wedding...what's it to ya?

One more tiny thing - I just got back from all of my holiday crap, only to find 3 new chapters of Sub. So I gotta throw in a shoutout to Fel so he knows that he is awesome.
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

Sbudda wrote:I like some country, mainly old school (ie. Hank Williams Sr.), and great intrumentalism (ie. Charlie Daniels - there's somethig about a man with a fiddle). The rest of it, I hate, and I'm from Georgia. Way down yonder on the Chattahoochie is one exception. As is that David Alan Coe song about momma and the train (the name of which I cannot seem to remember). Bluegrass and non-vocal acts are also exempt from my wrath.
"Chattahoochee"--Alan Jackson
"You Never Even Called Me By My Name"--David Allan Coe. ;)
Sbudda
Initiate

Post by Sbudda »

Fiferguy wrote:"Chattahoochee"--Alan Jackson
"You Never Even Called Me By My Name"--David Allan Coe. ;)
Damn, I mispelled the river closest to me... that's sad.

But that is the name of the song I couldn't remember, thanks! What a great song...Well, I was drunk the day my Mom got outta prison.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Well, let's see...when I wrote the chase scene, I was listening to a mix of Marilyn Manson, choice tracks from the soundtrack to Mortal Kombat, and Rob Zombie.

So, there's your soundtrack. ;)
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

LOL! That's great. Actually, when I reread it again, I kinda imagined what music they would use if it was a movie. ;)