Humans and telepathy ...

Astardis
Initiate

Humans and telepathy ...

Post by Astardis »

We already know, that humans have absolutly no inherent telepathic ability.
The Karinne used a genetic therapy to evolve their own telepathic abilities with the help of Kimdori DNA to be able to commute with their biogenic computers.
I can see, that the changing of the telepathic DNA caused alot of problems for the faey. But since the human don't have that kind of DNA from the beginning, shouldn't it be able to introduce the telepathic gene via a retro virus or nanotech to enable humans to produce telepathic abilities?

The crossbreeding with faey is actually doing nothing else. So with the advanced medical tech of the faey, or at least with the technology of the Karinne it should be possible.

Astardis
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Re: Humans and telepathy ...

Post by Belgarion213 »

However then you have millions, possibly billions of untrained telepaths. Remember that when Jyslin was teaching Jason how to use his abilities, that she commentated on the danger of an untrained telepath. Unless you had one Fey for ever ysay four humans who have talent your in trouble. An Untrained telepath is uncouncisionsly sending strongly, they are picking up the thoughts and feelings of others, with their fear and panic fueling their abilities. It would be a disaster.
Astardis
Initiate

Post by Astardis »

uhm ... I did't mean to make some kind of airborn retro virus that implemented telepathy into humans. I won't even believe that something like that is possible even with faey or Karinne equipment.

What I was thinking about was some kind of treatment, which could be given humans. Surely each human developing telepathic powers that way will be tutored until he has a soild understanding and ability to handle them.
Quindo Ma
Sorcerer

Post by Quindo Ma »

Astardis wrote:We already know, that humans have absolutly no inherent telepathic ability.
Not quite.

Fel stated in a different thread that (pure) human telepathy is about as common as (non-Generation) Faey telekinesis.
We also know that in the ch19 the empress used exactly that telekinesis, but was not a descendant of the Generations.

Conclusively, we can most likely say that there are human telepaths that do not originally descend from the Faey. It's just that they're incredibly rare.
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Astardis wrote:We already know, that humans have absolutly no inherent telepathic ability.
It depends how you define telepathy. Humans can receive it after all, so they all have to have some innate ability. And by default they broadcast their thoughts (or so Fel has said) so they can send to some extent as well.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

ANTIcarrot wrote:It depends how you define telepathy. Humans can receive it after all, so they all have to have some innate ability. And by default they broadcast their thoughts (or so Fel has said) so they can send to some extent as well.
I don't think that you could really define them as an ability - they don't have any control over it whatsoever.
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

Spec8472 wrote:
ANTIcarrot wrote:It depends how you define telepathy. Humans can receive it after all, so they all have to have some innate ability. And by default they broadcast their thoughts (or so Fel has said) so they can send to some extent as well.
I don't think that you could really define them as an ability - they don't have any control over it whatsoever.
Exactly. It's kind of like saying a radio receiver is broadcasting because the speakers are on...
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Quindo Ma wrote:Conclusively, we can most likely say that there are human telepaths that do not originally descend from the Faey. It's just that they're incredibly rare.
[s]Actually, no.[/s] Edit: Not according to Chapter 19...

Subjugation, Chapter 19
I’m a telepath because I have a Faey ancestor, and that Faey was Zera Karinne. In fact, all the Terrans on Terra that are telepaths are only telepathic because they are descended from those Faey that landed on Earth to escape the war. Some are Karinnes, like me, but we don’t know who their ancestors were, so they can’t really stand here before you like I can. Some aren’t, descendents of the ship’s crew.
(emphasis added)
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Spec8472 wrote: I don't think that you could really define them as an ability - they don't have any control over it whatsoever.
On the other hand, humans have no capacity to pick up radio waves, which makes us completely immune to EMP. Since telepathy affects us we have to have some capacity in that regard.

I also put it to you that two years is not enough time to learn if humans can control themselves. Trillane haven't exactly been going out of their way to try and teach humans how to resist being scanned.

If nothing else it is possible to do something without actually thinking to yourself. Most people don't think much while they're driving. Such blankness might make things a little harder for faey passive scans.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

ANTIcarrot wrote:On the other hand, humans have no capacity to pick up radio waves, which makes us completely immune to EMP. Since telepathy affects us we have to have some capacity in that regard.
Err... Radio Waves are just part of the electromagnetic spectrum - we can pick up some parts of it - (visible wavelengths - aka light), and we also generate in some frequencies too (infrared, etc). However we have little or no control over those either (okay, you could shut your eyes - or kill yourself, but that's not really control)

And, stand in front of a strong enough radio transmitter - and it will have an effect on you.
ANTIcarrot wrote:Since telepathy affects us we have to have some capacity in that regard.
Radiation affects us too - but we don't have any (practical) capacity in that either.
arargh
Katzh-dashi

Post by arargh »

ANTIcarrot wrote:
On the other hand, humans have no capacity to pick up radio waves, which makes us completely immune to EMP.
Hmmm, I don't think so. Why do you think microwave ovens shut off when you open the door? Just stand in front of a million watt radar transmitter, and see how long you last. :)

And as far as an EMP pulse, I am guessing that human body has enough conductivity for it to be a problem, if the pulse is strong enough.
Quindo Ma
Sorcerer

Post by Quindo Ma »

Spec8472 wrote:
Quindo Ma wrote:Conclusively, we can most likely say that there are human telepaths that do not originally descend from the Faey. It's just that they're incredibly rare.
[s]Actually, no.[/s] Edit: Not according to Chapter 19...

Subjugation, Chapter 19
I’m a telepath because I have a Faey ancestor, and that Faey was Zera Karinne. In fact, all the Terrans on Terra that are telepaths are only telepathic because they are descended from those Faey that landed on Earth to escape the war. Some are Karinnes, like me, but we don’t know who their ancestors were, so they can’t really stand here before you like I can. Some aren’t, descendents of the ship’s crew.
(emphasis added)
I know what you mean Spec, but I was deliberately ignoring that one, because it's Jason talking about what Jason knows, not what Fel does.

Now that he has more or less "proof" that the Faey landed there and interbred, he's of course going to assume that every telepath is because of that. But what I was talking about was something Fel said in a different thread somewhere on this forum outside of the actual storytelling.
It was something along the lines that "telepathy amongst humans is about as rare as telekinesis amongst faey outside of the Generations".
I wish I knew where, but I'm certain enough that he said that, that I'm willing to restate it here.

Of course, I admit that I might have completely misunderstood him there, and that this is not true, but that was the impression I got at the time.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

You probably have a point there.

Remember, 12% of Faey have telekentic abilities. Percents 7-12 would knock themselves out trying to use their ability.

Humanity probably has a percentile for telepathy as well, Goram's Law or whatever. Probably 3%, with all but .1% would knock themselves out expressing without Faey genetic material in them as well.

Because there are legends from before 1300 years ago about people being able to read minds and such.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

Lochar wrote:Because there are legends from before 1300 years ago about people being able to read minds and such.
What's this "legends" stuff? :twisted:
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Fiferguy wrote:
Lochar wrote:Because there are legends from before 1300 years ago about people being able to read minds and such.
What's this "legends" stuff? :twisted:
Faery Tales
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.