Is Tarrin Mortal?

Hearly
Speed Racer!

Is Tarrin Mortal?

Post by Hearly »

Something struck me...

(cut and paste from Chapter 7, Demon's Bane)
"Tarrin was no longer a child of the Firestaff. Instead, the power of Ayise seared through him, transforming him into one of her children. And being one of her children, Ayise and the Elder Gods had no reason to oppose him."

If he is one of Ayise's Children, wouldn't he still be a "god"?
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Re: Is Tarrin Mortal?

Post by michaelsuave »

That is a really good question... we know he isn't a young god, no followers. We know that he doesn't have the powers of a god, couldn't fight the one without the use of the firestaff. not an elder god, not a child of the firestaff anymore.

A couple ideas, a child of Ayise merely means that since she created sennadar, any one born of sennadar is a child of Ayise. Therefore, since tarrin was born on sennadar, his body was created through the druidic "all" of Ayise and his divine soul faded away when he transfered his mortal soul into the body, he is a mortal child of Ayise.

Second idea (really cool idea) tarrin is something between a god and a mortal, immortal in his own way. I mean, he is a werecat, so almost immortal already. His wings have a direct link and connection to the power of his goddess of sorcery, and the wings are part of him. His arms are scarred and contain the essence of the core or power of the God of Gods. Ok, So tarrin is a mutt, part were, part god of gods, part goddess, part mother goddess of sennadar, part mortal, (does he still have the demon scarred arm?). Tarrin is the heines 57 blend sauce of Sennadar... :wink:

~Michael 8)
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Ya, I mean they said many times in Chap 7 and 8, that Tarrin is mortal again, but re-reading that chapter, and thinking about everything else, The scars carrying over to his New body, makes it seem that he's a bit more than a normal Mortal...
Sbudda
Initiate

Post by Sbudda »

There have been a nuber of references comparing Tarrin and Marinda recently. Perhaps Tarrin is only an Avatar? Of course, only Fel knows what Tarrin will be when he recovers the sword shards...
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

Somewhere in there it talks about the All separating the Mortal Tarrin's soul from the God Tarrin's soul after it had transformed him into one of Ayise's children. After they were separated, the God soul had no followers, and no icon/protection from the ravages of the mortal realm, and was destroyed, leaving only the Mortal Tarrin's soul.

And remember, Tarrin never was a normal Mortal...he has always been a Mi'Shara. :twisted:
Javna
Katzh-dashi

Post by Javna »

michaelsuave wrote:His arms are scarred and contain the essence of the core or power of the God of Gods. Ok, So tarrin is a mutt, part were, part god of gods, part goddess, part mother goddess of sennadar, part mortal, (does he still have the demon scarred arm?). Tarrin is the heines 57 blend sauce of Sennadar... :wink:

~Michael 8)
Was wondering the same thing sins he rippped soul amulets from both Good and evil .. A living, walking and talking Jing and Jang...
There's a fine line between genius and madness.
Me I crossed the line long ago
afrigeek
Da'Shar

Post by afrigeek »

I am really curious about what will happen when the shards of his sword are recovered and tarrin retakes ownership of it. I would expect that the sword will recognize him and that he should thus be able to command its power.
"Bachelors should be heavily taxed. It is not fair that some men should be happier than others." - Oscar Wilde

What actually happened was that George Dubya Bush saw an Iraqi maths teacher carrying a geometry set, accused him of being a member of the notorious Al-gebra movement, and charged him with possessing weapons of maths instruction.
Wingsolution
Katzh-dashi

Post by Wingsolution »

well, the sword is now an artifact of the firestaff, so it will most likely act like the firestaff, with a bit of tarren's personality thrown in...
ie: tarren will have to use his mir'shara abilities to keep it in line, and once it breaks the firestaff... hmm now that has several possabilities...
bored and lazy... it's more fun to talk on gaia...
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

Wingsolution wrote:well, the sword is now an artifact of the firestaff, so it will most likely act like the firestaff, with a bit of tarren's personality thrown in...
ie: tarren will have to use his mir'shara abilities to keep it in line, and once it breaks the firestaff... hmm now that has several possabilities...
The sword is not an artifact of the firestaff, it is an artifact of Tarrin the God, who happened to be a child of the firestaff. It never reacted the same as the firestaff, and you can read about that in the battle between the shadow and tarrin. The only similarity that I saw was that it had the power to unleash Tarrin's "god" powers, just as the firestaff had the power to give tarrin "god" powers.

Come on Lochar, chime in here O' fount of sennadar knowledge. :wink:

~Michael 8)
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
Wingsolution
Katzh-dashi

Post by Wingsolution »

michaelsuave wrote:
Wingsolution wrote:well, the sword is now an artifact of the firestaff, so it will most likely act like the firestaff, with a bit of tarren's personality thrown in...
The sword is not an artifact of the firestaff, it is an artifact of Tarrin the God, who happened to be a child of the firestaff. It never reacted the same as the firestaff, and you can read about that in the battle between the shadow and tarrin. The only similarity that I saw was that it had the power to unleash Tarrin's "god" powers, just as the firestaff had the power to give tarrin "god" powers.

Come on Lochar, chime in here O' fount of sennadar knowledge. :wink:

~Michael 8)
actually, the sword WAS an artifact of tarrin, but when he lost his god's soul, the sword 'defaulted' to the firestaff, as that's how it now got it's power...
bored and lazy... it's more fun to talk on gaia...
bigbird312
Talent

Post by bigbird312 »

I think Tarrin is or will become the avatar of GoG it's all in the
balance right/left hand.
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

Tarrin can't become an avatar of the GoG. There are two kinds of avatars--those like Miranda, and those like the Goddess used to talk to Tarrin. The first are created before birth, when the God or Goddess touches the Avatar's soul.
In Questing Game: Chapter 19, Fel wrote: Because she doesn't know, the Goddess replied. Miranda is a Wikuni, my kitten. She has parents, and a childhood, and a life. But where her mother is the bearer of her body, Kikkali is the bearer, the mother, of her soul. Kikkali could see where the fates would take Keritanima, so she prepared a special companion for her, a woman of exceptional gifts to complement your sister and provide her with a stabilizing influence. Miranda doesn't have any supernatural powers. She's as frail and fragile as any mortal, and in time, she will grow old and die. Probably without ever knowing just what she is. But the breath of Kikkali is inside her, and it's something that you could sense. Kikkali is one of the gods that control the skies, my kitten. She's one of Shellar's servants. That's why Miranda sings to you, because within her is a fragment of the allure that the moons hold for Were-kin. That Miranda soothed and benefitted you as well as Keritanima was simply a fortunate happenstance.
He was a bit overwhelmed. All that time, he was begging for attention from a goddess!
Miranda is not a goddess, kitten, the Goddess chided. She is mortal, just as mortal as you. Even if Kikkali had not touched her soul, she would have been born. The only thing that makes her different is that she has the mark of the gods on her, a mark that helped her develop just a bit more than those around her. It's why she's so intelligent for someone so young. Had Miranda not been blessed by Kikkali, she would have developed much differently than she did. Don't define her as an Avatar, kitten, because you don't understand its true meaning. Think of her as touched by the gods instead.
And the second kind are merely creations of Magic that the God or Goddess uses to interact with the outside world. The manifestation that Kikkalli used to talk to Tarrin in Axe the day after the Throne Room Incident was such an Avatar.

The point is, Tarrin can't be an avatar. He might become like a personal agent or something, but I doubt it. Throughout all the books, all Tarrin has wanted to do was go home and live in peace. So personally, after he kicks tail in Pyrosia, I think he's just going to go home and sleep...for a year...then go hunting...then sleep... :wink:
afrigeek
Da'Shar

Post by afrigeek »

Fiferguy wrote:Tarrin can't become an avatar of the GoG. There are two kinds of avatars--those like Miranda, and those like the Goddess used to talk to Tarrin. The first are created before birth, when the God or Goddess touches the Avatar's soul.
No. There are actually three kinds of avatars. Those like Miranda, the magic creations like when the goddess was holding multiple conversations all at the same time, pure creations of magic, and then the third which is the icon manifested avatar. The ONE used a magic creation to fight Tarrin while his real icon was in the cathedral.
Fiferguy wrote:

And the second kind are merely creations of Magic that the God or Goddess uses to interact with the outside world. The manifestation that Kikkalli used to talk to Tarrin in Axe the day after the Throne Room Incident was such an Avatar.
Actually that is not true. The book clearly states that this was her icon manifested avatar.
A Wikuni stepped out of the shadow of the fountain, and Tarrin immediately identified her as none other than Kikkalli, in the pseudo-flesh of her animated icon. He knew from her image that she was a fox Wikuni, like Keritanima, but she didn’t look anything like her. Kikkalli was a silver fox, with glittering silver fur that shimmered in the morning sunlight. What was most remarkable about this form, her chosen appearance for her icon, was that it was so unremarkable. She was a handsome woman, but not breathtakingly beautiful. She was sleek and appealing in form, but not voluptuous or enchanting. She was tall and imposing, but was no taller than a Wikuni was meant to be. Her icon carried no unnatural traits that would give it away, like the Goddess’ glowing white eyes and seven-colored hair. Kikkalli was quite modest in her chosen form. She wore a white sailor’s shirt with long flared sleeves and a pair of sleek black trousers with flared legs, and a tattered blue sash around her waist that swayed and billowed as if blown by the wind, though the air was calm. Her gaze was icy, penetrating, but it carried a vast wisdom behind her gray eyes that belied the unassuming appearance of her icon. Tarrin realized that this icon was one that allowed her to go anywhere and observe anything without giving her true identity away. Not that that was much of an issue, since gods could simply create a projection of themselves that was as solid as flesh, a solid illusion of sorts that many would call an Avatar, but which was only a trick of magic.
I also think that different rules may apply to the GoG. He probably can circumvent most of the rules that bind the other gods. He is the God of gods meaning that the gap between him and the elder gods is probably similar to the gap between a mortal and a god since he created the other elder gods.
"Bachelors should be heavily taxed. It is not fair that some men should be happier than others." - Oscar Wilde

What actually happened was that George Dubya Bush saw an Iraqi maths teacher carrying a geometry set, accused him of being a member of the notorious Al-gebra movement, and charged him with possessing weapons of maths instruction.
afrigeek
Da'Shar

Post by afrigeek »

Additionally:
Tarrin shifted his grip and extended the claw on his index finger, and sank it into her forearm. “Ow!” she yelped, pulling her arm away and putting her other hand over it after Tarrin let her go. Tarrin grabbed her hand and pulled it away, then grabbed her wrist and pulled her arm out to display it to her, to show her the red stain blooming in the white fur on her arm.

“That’s because you’re flesh and blood,” he told her. “The kinds of Avatar that that Priest thinks you are is nothing but magic, but you’re not! You’re flesh and blood, Miranda! You have a body, and you have a mind, and you have a soul!

Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

Doh! I forgot about the icon. But Tarrin is most definitely not one of those either.

True, the GoG is quite a bit more powerful than the other Gods of the multiverse, but even if he COULD do it, doesn't mean he will. I mean, what purpose would that accomplish? Even as a Mi'Shara, he doesn't have anywhere near the raw power of a Planetar or a Solar. True, the ability to work outside the laws of the universe is a great tool, but until now, we haven't really seen too much in the way of manifestation of that power. The only things that he's done so far are channel more magic than any other mortal, and change himself from a God back into a Mortal. He can also command the firestaff, but even that is a battle of wills every time he tries something.

But to get back on track, I just don't believe he'll become any kind of agent for the GoG. Really, when you look at it, he's not one even now. He's fixing a mess he started on Pyrosia. When he and Mist wounded the One, he made the One call up the Demon Lord. Stupid on the One's side, yes, but still caused by Tarrin and Mist. So Tarrin feels he has to stop it, since it's his fault. But after he's done with the One, he's probably just going to go home and raise Jal and Zyri, be with Mist till there time is up, then be with one of the others. In other words, just go home and live.

Either that, or he'll be killed when he takes out the Demon Lord, but I don't see that happening. But Fel does like to surprise us... :wink: