Dragons using sorcery Chapter 15 Spoiler

Dash
Sorcerer

Dragons using sorcery Chapter 15 Spoiler

Post by Dash »

In Chapter 15, Tarrin as a shadow dragon uses sorcery.

This is possible now that Fel just described it, but can anyone think of reasons why it shouldn't be possible? Or is this the first dragon in history to use sorcery - especially in Pyrosia?

Tarrin will lose divine abilities in a divine shapeshift, but would he have his sorcerous abilities unless the shadow dragon can use sorcery and he picked it up from her? I thought he would only gain abilities native to the form that he has touched?
Last edited by Dash on Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Re: Dragons using sorcery Chapter 15 Spoiler

Post by Shadowhawk »

Tarrin keeps his Sorcery in all his Were forms: human, hybrid and cat (animal). He was sorcerer as human, and is Sorcerer as Were. Sorcery as innate abiity might be connected to particular person, irrespectivley of shapeshift.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

It's just the amount and type of Sorcery usable changes based on the shape.  If Tarrin uses his cat form or any non-Were or human form, he can't access High Sorcery as his ability bridges the gap for a non-born to it form, but not enough to go into High Sorcery.  Not sure about Weavespinner Sorcery, that'd probably be dependant on the chosen form.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Dash
Sorcerer

Post by Dash »

Not fully sure that its a full explanation.

He keeps his divine wings in his human, cat, and were form.
But using his abilities to shapeshift to dragon, definitely limits his divine abilities because his wings are gone. So there is one limitation already in this shapeshift.

Now, his normal form stores magical "weave" energy for sorcery. He needs this magic to cast sorcery spells. I presume this is the equivalent of his magic turning into a charge for his dragon breath (otherwise where would it come from, and why does it need to be charged?). Now, does that mean the sorcery is locked to his Were forms?

Also human forms are fine to cast sorcery, but iirc his cat form was using some kind of druidic magic? or a combination of both sorcery and druidic?

In Sennadar, the weave is also present. In this world, he has to use his stored charge. Now the dragon form shouldn't store charge? So can he use it? If the dragon form copied can use sorcery, then his stored weave ought to be converted, otherwise, I reckon it will be locked to his other form, else he would be consumed by it?

Just different ideas that I have floating around. They might contradict each other, but individually, I think they raise questions.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

dash wrote:Also human forms are fine to cast Sorcery, but IIRC his cat form was using some kind of Druidic magic? Or a combination of both Sorcery and Druidic?
He used Sorcery fire in his cat form to scare the thief in Suld while being at "little mother" Jeanette. That is why he returned to Tower.

He used Druidic fire in his cat form to scare Sheba the Pirate (noble Wikuni) while in port during his travel to find Book of Ages. He didn't understood then that it was Druidic magic.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")