Update.

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Fel
Weavespinner

Update.

Post by Fel »

I'd like to apologize to everyone for not posting anything for a while.

I wish I had a good reason, but the simple fact of the matter is, I've had crushing writer's block for nearly two months. I've done a little work in all 3 stories I want to advance, but I open Word, i type maybe 2 paragraphs...and then I have no idea what to do next. It's like I just draw a total blank. My experience with this is to simply back off and wait until I get over it.

If you've ever written, you understand what I mean and how it works.

I really, REALLY wanted to have something to put by Christmas, but I just couldn't get anything finished. Hell, I couldn't even get a chapter halfway done.

To make up for it, in the next couple of days, I'm going to release some of the "failed" chapter ideas I've done over the years. That's when I write a test first chapter for a story to get a feel for it, but then shelve it because I can't develop the plot beyond the initial concept.

A couple of these you may recognize as elements of other stories. They're often the springboard on which other stories are launched, as I take an idea and rework it into something viable.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
kabalman2000
Sorcerer

Re: Update.

Post by kabalman2000 »

Thanks for the update. I was just thinking, "I bet Fel's going to do something for Christmas." And you did ... in a way.

I'm sorry to hear about the continuing block, having occasionally suffered the same in my creativity (not fiction writing but the dark art of programming). I hope the muses relent and relieve your burden soon. Until then know that all of your fans are very patient people (no laughing, please) wishing you the merriest of Christmas' and the happiest of new years'. Oh, and happy Boxing Day.
Mladen
Talent

Post by Mladen »

HA! And he's apologizing! Fel you gave me 1000's of hours of most enjoyable time i have. I will still reread everything you wrote when I'm upset or distressed. Your books got me trough some of the toughest times in my life. For something like 20 years!
Write my friend, don't write... you have done soo much and please do not apologize.
Blyker
Sorcerer

Post by Blyker »

Thanks for the update Fel. Give the brain some rest to come up with some good ideas.
I don't know if you have a set goal for the Subjugation arc to go to, you seem to be running into the same problem as you did with Tarrin where he reached the pinnacle of power and it is hard to find believable enemies that are on par or preferably just a bit stronger so that they present a challenge.
You expressed that back in the day and it was a couple of us that got you to expand on the Subjugation story which seemed to surprise you back then.
I see a lot of possibilities in the Subjugation universe that do not go into the direction of that power creep, your sidestep to Citadel online was a great way to give the universe more colour.
With all the worlds and people/creatures that have come into the confederation and after the virus might have talent there is a lot of upheaval, a lot societal changes, a lot of opportunities for people that could be explored into stories. How was life for a Pai before they came into contact with the Karinnes, or just after. Those Karinnes look friendly, seem friendly, talk friendly but are they really etc and that could be said for a lot of the other civilizations that are or were contacted or beaten in war.
How would Karines guide a world like earth along so that they could finally get so far ahead societal and or technological that they could be contacted.
There are a lot of ways to go forward in Jason's lifetime, certainly now that he is no longer the Grand Duke, that do not need galactic wide wars to progress the story.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

Blyker wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:53 pm Thanks for the update Fel. Give the brain some rest to come up with some good ideas.
I don't know if you have a set goal for the Subjugation arc to go to, you seem to be running into the same problem as you did with Tarrin where he reached the pinnacle of power and it is hard to find believable enemies that are on par or preferably just a bit stronger so that they present a challenge.
You expressed that back in the day and it was a couple of us that got you to expand on the Subjugation story which seemed to surprise you back then.
I see a lot of possibilities in the Subjugation universe that do not go into the direction of that power creep, your sidestep to Citadel online was a great way to give the universe more colour.
With all the worlds and people/creatures that have come into the confederation and after the virus might have talent there is a lot of upheaval, a lot societal changes, a lot of opportunities for people that could be explored into stories. How was life for a Pai before they came into contact with the Karinnes, or just after. Those Karinnes look friendly, seem friendly, talk friendly but are they really etc and that could be said for a lot of the other civilizations that are or were contacted or beaten in war.
How would Karines guide a world like earth along so that they could finally get so far ahead societal and or technological that they could be contacted.
There are a lot of ways to go forward in Jason's lifetime, certainly now that he is no longer the Grand Duke, that do not need galactic wide wars to progress the story.
The current arc is the final main arc, with one more smaller arc, titled "Benediction", to follow to wrap everything up. Thats been the plan since book 6 at least, probably a lot longer, but that's about went he told us.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
davien96
Novice

Post by davien96 »

“Endings are hard. Any chapped-ass monkey with a keyboard can poop out a beginning, but endings are impossible. You try to tie up every loose end, but you never can. The fans are always gonna bitch. There's always gonna be holes. And since it's the ending, it's all supposed to add up to something. I'm telling you, they're a raging pain in the ass.”

So I had to even quote another author to make my point. 8)

Yeah..endings are hard. Take your time, what you create will be great, don't doubt yourself but take the time to make yourself happy with the result. We'll wait....if you hear the occasional gnashing of teeth or pathetic whine, who cares? We prefer you are happy with the result in the end! Any denture costs are our fault in the start (or those who roped us into this site to begin with...looking at you there wolfee :evil:)
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

Fel, any luck with your writers block? Hope otherwise you are doing well!
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

I should have co18 out later today. I just have to spellcheck it.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
XavDan
Initiate

Post by XavDan »

Really lucky to check the site today. Eagerly waiting for the update
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

Nice, maybe I'll actually take the time to read the 2 previous chapters this weekend...
Maybe even update the website? Saying I will here might help make me make time for it.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
Hunn2020
Talent

Post by Hunn2020 »

Hey fel, Loving CO, I was re-reading through some of your short stories and spirit walker, while you are working through your writer’s block. And I thought to ask if you had written any more of onnajiki? Or walker?
trodrian
Sorcerer

Post by trodrian »

Hi FEL, did you release the failed chapters?

NM, found them.