Rumours of my demise - were not started by me!

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
ilox
Sorcerer

Rumours of my demise - were not started by me!

Post by ilox »

Hello dear friends, and G'day Fel. I have not been around for years, quite literally. My last post appears to have been around 2017 or was it 2018? I have no idea why. it seems that I just lost contact and forgot to come back. I only remembered about this place when I found an old folder and started wondering what had become of Jason and all the wonderful characters that Fel has conjured up for us.
Unfortunately, that led to a binge to the original Subjugation 1. Oh my! Binge reading indeed. Morning, Noon and night.

So good to get back to these great tales but so frustrating that all of those obvious errors were never corrected. What hasn't somebody fixed up the references to Tarrin in Chapter 1 and Jesmind in Chapter 4 and so many many others? I recall people doing edited version but I just can't seem to find them anymore.

I found a series of epub files (thanks Fel and kylie and others) and some more recent stuff in mobi format but Weavespinner.net doesn't have the early parts in mobi and nothing past Subjugation #7. Sigh.

Is this searching akin to looking for love in all the wrong places? It would be a monumental task to Proofread and Edit and Convert all these files from Chapter 1 Subjugation 1 but the end result might be that new readers discover these great tales and stay with them. That isn't a bad thing, is it?

Oh and Fel, good to hear your Mum is doing better. My Mum just had her 95th and is going OK so I do understand what you have been going through looking after her.

Stay Home and Stay Safe my friends.
Cheers, Ian
"From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter.
Some day I intend reading it." ~ unknown
kyli
Mi'Shara

Re: Rumours of my demise - were not started by me!

Post by kyli »

Welcome back! I've been interested in the past about going through and editing subjugation and cleaning up errors and also continuity errors. I might even have some PDF's somewhere (if I haven't lost them) of books 2 to 7 where a made I note at every mistake I found in my last reread. But I wouldn't be comfortable making some of those changes without the authors input and Fel has never seemed interested in editing the previous books every time its brought up. Guess he wanted to just continue writing new stuff which I'm ok with too.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
ilox
Sorcerer

Post by ilox »

Thanks for your response, kyli. I have had a serious look at Insurrection and I feel I have caught and corrected most of the problems. That was only 6 chapters. The difficulties are going to be the ones with the most chapters. That is a LOT of work to bring all of those millions (?) of words up to a reasonable standard of proof quality. It will usually take me 3 or even 4 passes to spot problems and determine if they need correction. It does take time and awareness of good spelling, punctuation and word usage.
I have been an Editor on SOL for probably 20 years, I don't recall when I started but it was in the late '90s. What I know for certain is that I am the punctuation/spelling/cross-the-dots-and-dot-the-tees kind of editor. I would rarely change something because of it being inconsistent, that would mean I would have to remember what has been said. To do this properly we also need people who can be the Continuity kind of Editor. The person who can see where a thread has gone off track and bring it to somebody's attention.
So, where are we?
IF we split this task up against several of us I don't think it is an impossible task to gain a stage of reasonable. There will not be errors in every line but there might be one or two in a big paragraph and 4 to 5 in a page.
Let me be very clear, very very clear. I LOVE Fel's writings and I am totally hooked onto the Subjugation Universe. I just want to make it better so more people can enjoy these tales as much as I have and just maybe when they read the stories they don't have to skip over the problems. Just enjoy the evolving story.

Example of continuity: Rahne comes from Scotland. So do several others who were detected in Scotland just before the Trillane orbital shot took out Rann and messed up Jason's life. How come nobody has gone back to see if Rahne is known in Scotland and who these Scottish possibles are?
Little questions like that, and there are probably lots of others that could be pointed out and addressed in some way.

I hope that wherever you are you and your loved ones are keeping safe and well and out of the reach of this insidious virus.
Cheers, Ian
"From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

I really don't have any actual experience with editing at all. I won't have considered the Rahne thing to be much of an issue myself. At most, it needs a paragraph that says the Kimdori looked into it and ultimately found nothing. I always assumed that happened even if it wasn't mentioned. Fel might have had plans which were abandoned, which would explain why it feels incomplete.

One continuity example I was thinking about (and I'm going of memory from my reread 2-3 years ago) is in book 1 when a few empires are mentioned, some were never mentioned again, and one or two of the ones mentioned were actually just races that were part of the Alliance, and the Alliance wasn't mentioned.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

ilox wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:59 pm Example of continuity: Rahne comes from Scotland. So do several others who were detected in Scotland just before the Trillane orbital shot took out Rann and messed up Jason's life. How come nobody has gone back to see if Rahne is known in Scotland and who these Scottish possibles are?
Little questions like that, and there are probably lots of others that could be pointed out and addressed in some way.

I hope that wherever you are you and your loved ones are keeping safe and well and out of the reach of this insidious virus.
They did go back, but it was basically a throw away section in Book 1. The hit that led them to that small town (Seamus) was contacted and was trained in the school that Jason set up in the US after he took Earth away from the Trillanes. In that telling they set up finding all the human telepaths on Earth and having them trained. So when Rahne appears in Book 2, five years later, all the potentials had already been found and trained and are either in the house or went back to where ever they wanted to. Part of that would be getting a family history and a medical work up that would have their DNA on file, Rahne's DNA didn't come up with a close match and remember she was a Generation and the only other Human Generation is Jason. Also I highly doubt Miaari didn't have the Kimdori roam through Scotland looking for contacts, it was just something that would happen in the back round and when the reports come back negative get cleared up with Fel stating they could find no one in one of Jason's musing's, which you basically got.
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment
ilox
Sorcerer

Post by ilox »

Thanks, boballab, I must have missed that bit while trying to catch up with the original tale. Might have a closer look when I edit that book.
Cheers, Ian
Grommley
Novice

Post by Grommley »

Here is all 9 chapters that I edited for my own purposes. I may have missed some things but I tried to fix the glaring errors like the wrong names being used. I also merged the chapters into a single file for each book and reconfigured the formatting. It is all saved in DOCX as I used a current version of Word to do the edits. I did the edits while also power-reading through them again, so if I missed something, it might be because I was too involved in reading it to notice.
I included CO chapters 1-9 as book 9.65 to show they are intended to be read after chapter 6 of book 9. I have not added in Chapter 10 yet.
Attachments
Subjugation Series-CH1-CH5.zip
(3.8 MiB) Downloaded 433 times
Subjugation Series-CH6-CH9.zip
(3.94 MiB) Downloaded 455 times
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke
ilox
Sorcerer

Post by ilox »

Grommley wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:56 pm Here is all 9 chapters that I edited for my own purposes. I may have missed some things but I tried to fix the glaring errors like the wrong names being used. I also merged the chapters into a single file for each book and reconfigured the formatting. It is all saved in DOCX as I used a current version of Word to do the edits. I did the edits while also power-reading through them again, so if I missed something, it might be because I was too involved in reading it to notice.
I included CO chapters 1-9 as book 9.65 to show they are intended to be read after chapter 6 of book 9. I have not added in Chapter 10 yet.
Thanks, Grommley. Much appreciated. Will have a look soon as I get a free moment.
Cheers, Ian