Citadel Online Alternatives

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
DMPug
Talent

Citadel Online Alternatives

Post by DMPug »

Since I am sorry to say that Fel probably wasn't using CO to introduce his readers to a new MMORPG that he is helping develop, does anyone have any recommendations for an alternative? Maybe something with a large open world that we can explore that doesn't necessarily lead you around by the nose from area to area?

EDIT unless Fel IS announcing a new mmo in which case take my money.
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Re: Citadel Online Alternatives

Post by Belgarion213 »

If your looking for some good MMO's...

* FFXIV is doing pretty well, but the 'starting experience' is pretty meh and its very story focused. While the story gets good later on its probably not lining up to the open 'do whatever the hell you want' that Citidel Online was offering

* World of Warcraft Classic has recently come up, and its very much less story-driven than current retail WoW. That is both a good and a bad thing. However 'dropping you in a large world and go forth and find quests' it works pretty well.

Though honestly while it doesn't have the other players involved, an Elder Scrolls game probably has that feeling of 'a living world you are in to do quests in', though there is some downside in that the world is pretty static.

Maybe Fable or its sequels? They were single-player games but IIRC they had some degree of player freedom and were pretty fun.
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

As a long time MMO player I could see where Fel used features from many different MMO's to base his Citadel Online on, so you won't find any single MMO out there that will line up perfectly. With that being said WoW Classic is based on the original go out and explore different areas MMO (Vanilla WoW) for casual players. Heck the quest chains force you to go all over the world if you try to level just through them, there is also the faction rep grind you see in CO in WoW Classic including some that really have nothing but saying "I completed that" as a reward. However it isn't Skill based progression like in CO but level based. One big downside for the more modern gamer is that WoW Classic is a subscription game which means paying $15 a month to play.

An alternative that is more story based and has more of the "World Events" like you see in CO, as well as exploration, to it is Guild Wars 2. This is also not a skill based but level based MMO. However GW2 was one of the pioneer's in a dynamic questing system. Instead of running to a quest givre, getting the quest, completing and then returning to get the reward GW2 automatically gives you the quest if you wander into the quest area and you can decide if you so that quest or not. If you do it and complete it you get the reward right then and can keep moving on. The game also gives you rewards for exploring not just the local zone map, but also the world map. Also GW2 is way less grindy than WoW Classic and there is no subscription fee, you can play the original base game for free (with some quality of life restrictions) just by making an account and downloading the game. If you like it you can buy the expansions and unlock the ability to make more characters and such, open new areas and abilities. Truthfully GW2 is the easier than Classic for most younger and newer MMO players to get into.

Outside of those 2 the only other game I can think of is ESO and I haven't played that and most other games are way more led by the nose.

Oh I just thought of another game but it is not an MMO, is grindy as hell and is mostly skill progression based and that is Ark Survival Evolved which you can get on Steam. This game is all about exploring the world but when I played it was heavily into PvP and is harder for a newer player to get going on an established server.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/3461 ... l_Evolved/
https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/a ... 1508277163
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment
DMPug
Talent

Post by DMPug »

Yeah I have played ESO and it seems to very much be a lead by the nose kind of mmo. I have played Skyrim, and it isn't bad but its single player. WoW Classic doesn't sound bad. I never had a chance to play WoW. I guess I can give that a try and see how it goes.
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

Here is some tips if you do try out Classic:
1. Make sure you pick the right server. Sounds stupid I know but people make mistakes because they rush trying to get to character creation. So if you are not into PvP make sure, absolutely sure you pick a PvE or RP, if you enjoy role playing, server because on the PvP servers you will get ganked by the other faction in the contested areas while trying to level.

2. Know which faction/race/class you want to play ahead of time. In Classic there race and faction restrictions on what classes you can be. Want to be a Paladin you have to play Alliance, if a Shaman you have to be Horde. If you want to be a Druid you are restricted to Tauren for Horde and Night Elf for Alliance. There is plenty of guides out on the web but I recommend WoWHead.com as the place to check out first before making a character.

3. Hunters are the easiest and fastest class to level in Open World questing and grinding, but are almost universally hated in Dungeons and Raids due to their pets. If you play Hunter and your group wipes in a Dungeon or Raid it is your fault, no matter what happened.

4. If you make a class that can heal, groups expect you to heal in dungeons so that means if you make a Priest, Druid, Shaman or Paladin they expect you to heal not DPS even if you are wanting to play the DPS specs of those classes. In cases of the Druid and Paladin, they can tank instead of heal but are not the best at it.

5. If you make a Warrior expect to be the Tank in any Dungeon you do and spec and gear accordingly.

I don't recommend Warrior, Druid, Shaman, Paladin or Priest as a first toon if you never played Vanilla WoW and it doesn't matter if you have played the lasted expansions because the gameplay is completely different. I recommend as a first toon a Hunter, Warlock or Mage because they are easy to level and two of them come with their own "tanks" since they are pet classes (Hunter and Warlock) and the Mage has a ton of CC and is surprisingly survivable when questing.

I currently play on the Kirtonos server, Horde Faction and you can look me up when I'm on, if you roll Horde and an East Coast PvP server, under the names NocteYin, Triana or Keritanima. That's right I named my Druid Triana and my Mage Keritanima :)
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment