Retribution, Chapter 13 [Spoilers]

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Re: Retribution, Chapter 13 [Spoilers]

Post by GBLW »

Wolfee wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:20 am Okay I have one issue with Chapter 13. If the gestalts in his arm got that hot that it killed his flesh, how is it that there no smoke or steam given off by his flesh? If the flesh was simmered at less than 212 degrees F (boiling), maybe I can see that kind of damage, he would have already been in serious trouble because of the temperature sustain by the blood moving through his arms... but all in all a good chapter.
Thanks Fel, for answering about the actual temperatures when flesh can be damaged.

As a 'kid' in the early '60s, I spent a year working for a plumber and we installed a few hot water tanks in apartment buildings - setting the max temperature on those was a pain in the butt, because in those days recirculation pumps were rare, so the lower floors of the apartment buildings would get VERY hot water (near scalding) very soon, meanwhile upper floors would take several minutes to get anything more than lukewarm water. But then even a bad sunburn can damage flesh, that's why the chemical companies promote the fact that sunburns can cause cancer as well as why they make so much money selling sunscreen.
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
GotToGo
Da'Shar

Post by GotToGo »

It's a good sign to see Fel engaged here again after his medical scare, also in another thread that he says is writing again. Seems another chapter might be posted soon, I and many us of hope so too! I believe the next chapter will be interesting to us all.
valinor89
Initiate

Post by valinor89 »

Fel wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:12 am Because exposure to 80C can kill flesh, and that's below boiling.

Hell, remember that pic I posted a couple of years ago of the massive blistering on my hand from a spilled bowl of soup? That soup wasn't boiling. It was about 90C, very close to it. If it had been past boiling, the burn would have been much worse.

You can get second degree burns from water that's 65C, if you dunk your hands in a pot of it and keep them there for a minute.
There is a form of cooking that puts the food in a vacuum sealed bag and then cooks it at very low temperature water (between 55 and 65 °C) for long times.

Jason's arms would be considered well done :lol:
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Today's nerd science tidbit on why that works:

The boiling point of water is dependent on air pressure. Water boils at 100C only at sea level.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Not a ID
Da'Shar

Post by Not a ID »

Fel wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:20 am Today's nerd science tidbit on why that works:

The boiling point of water is dependent on air pressure. Water boils at 100C only at sea level.
That was perhaps one of the most memorable science demonstrations I ever saw.

My physics professor took a clear plastic cup of water stuck it in a sealed container hooked up to an air pump, and proceeded to pump the air out.

First the water boiled, and as he allowed the pump to run, the water ultimately turned into ice, at room temperature.

After releasing the air seal it remained as a chunk of ice. Of course part of that was energy transfer from the "boiling" water to the atmosphere in that container and then out through the pump(because as a gas expands in volume, it cools down, and why CO2 fire extinguishers and other canisters of compressed gasses "frost up" if you discharge them rapidly enough), but still rather interesting to witness in action.
valinor89
Initiate

Post by valinor89 »

Fel wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:20 am Today's nerd science tidbit on why that works:

Well, in this case the vacuum bit is not really relevant as the plastic bags can't really hold a vacuum, they just stick really close to the food without an air barrier batween the food and the water.

There exist methods without the bags and water such as slow pots and slow cooking in special ovens.

The point is that even at such temperatures the proteins and other components of the food change and that makes things "cooked".

Have you seen the experiment where they Uncook an egg? Prety amazing stuff.