Retribution Chapter 10 [Spoilers]

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
Not a ID
Da'Shar

Re: Retrubution Chapter 10 [Spoilers]

Post by Not a ID »

Tarrin could be sent after some of the dreamers. He is a "Dream Killer" after all, and the Benga Controlled Dreamers are a problem.

As a ret-con item, Fae Occupied Earth may have seen him as well.
Not a ID
Da'Shar

Post by Not a ID »

Omegano wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:59 pm
Not a ID wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:18 pm Theory number 6: Kreel is an allter-ego of the OverGod.
Kreel took too much of a direct action in the path of an entire race to be an alter-ego of Him. That would have been awesome, though. Now I'm trying to think of who could be an alter-ego, but Jason would make almost anyone that wasn't seemingly just a one-off character too involved to be an alter-ego. Yet there have been enough one-offs with the same amount of detail (or more) as Cassiter (sp?) that make the list not small.
Unless he is a(n unawakened) mortal avatar. As established with Miranda, slightly different rules apply at that point. But in that case, Kreel is Kreel, he just happens to have a particular set of perks he is probably oblivious to at the moment.
Coderunner
Novice

Post by Coderunner »

Jason is awesome. I hope he survives in the end, even if he ends up dead for a while or something. Heh.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I think his gestalt will be key, the benga would recognize most weapons he could carry. But they don't fully conceive of gestalt capabilities yet. With his telekinesis enhanced, and the special training they have been receiving. They have numerous offensive and defensive tricks up his sleeve. The syndicate might be highly telepathic, but they have never seen a combat capable generation telekinetic.
.S.A.M.K.M
JNMC
Initiate

Post by JNMC »

Nah, I think the kind of thing that Tarrin would show up in this universe for would be if some idiot were going to follow through on reversing time too close to a galaxy-center black hole. The last time HE let something like that happen, he had to masquerade as the voice of the original purpose of that universe (AND its opposite) until some kid stuck a glowing sword through the chest of a god who should never have existed in the first place.

(BTW Fel, congratulations. For the first time I've officially postulated a character in someone's writings being more powerful than Belgarion while wielding his sword. Although it being the God of god's who lives at the center of all the multiverse is kind of cheating. Belgarion can only wield the amount of power that can be focused on one point within itself safely by a single universe, which essentially means he could fight on an even basis with the avatar of an elder god imo.)
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Post by Belgarion213 »

...Tarrins as the dry voiced Purpose of the Universe in the Belgariad now has me giggling. I know it had a weird sense of humour but Tarrin just trolling Belgarath just amuses me.

IIRC the Orb (and its opposite) were avatars or at least recipricles of the two Purposes's power. The Belgariad cosmology is a bit weird. There's UL who is basically either a Elder God or a Creator God. There's the universe itself (aka the 'Mother of the Gods' who won't let you unmake anything with sorcery), and then the Gods themselves(each of which is formed with a combined thought between UL and the Universe). Then you have the two Purposes, who UL treats like an equal and can quite happily sit there and well...'tank' the full power of a gods mind and can use Gods (Aldur and Torek) as pieces on their gameboard. As Aldur said, the purposes power far eclipses any single piece on the board (saving perhaps UL himself) so probably sit at Elder God level themselves.

...and now I have gone FAR off topic and will return to the Subugation universe.

The 'Home is Sacred' thing the Benga has is interesting but how does it really play out with the fact that them and the Consortium are in the habbit of glassing planets? I think its just more proof of their hypocrisy, that they only care about their staff but well they were going to glass a lot of other peoples planets never mind that people had THEIR homes on them.

And with that insightful point out of the way, I shall away.
JNMC
Initiate

Post by JNMC »

Actually, I was postulating the God of Gods being both of the voices in my postulation, resulting in him sending Tarrin in to prevent a galaxy-destroying rift so he never has to do it again, and yes, the two 'Cthrags' were some kind of focus for the opposing purposes' powers. I agree that UL would be the Elder God in this scenario, and his sons would be the lesser gods. Of course, if the voices were both the GoG or at least aspects of him, UL would not be the equal of the voices, and ... meh, I'm getting far enough away from Belgariad theology/cosmology, etc. that it's getting even more pointless than it was already, lol. I've just been struck for a while by a resemblance between what happens when someone rips open space via messing with time and the EVENT which cause Eddings' saga, and I decided to relate it to Fel's multiverse and the Subjugation universe.

I have to wonder how Tarrin's powers would translate into a universe with apparently no magic. Granted, he carries a permanent link to Niami's sorcery through his wings now, so I'm sure he'd manage to do something.
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Post by Belgarion213 »

Well, even if there is no magic, there’s still Druidic magic, if the elder god permits it. Druidic magic is tapping into the elder gods power after all.

There is also the fact that Tarris as of the end of Demon Bane and definitely in a simple task is psioconic...to the point he can reshape reality with his mind on a small scale. He can do some quite nasty stuff with that alone, let alone what weapons he picked up in the god of gods armory that are never used in ‘primitive worlds’.

Then of course as Simple Tadk told us is that he’s an avatar of Elder God Tarrin, Niami’s husband so there’s that power as well...though as an elder god iirc he can’t use it outside his home plane.
Rakshasa claw
Initiate

Post by Rakshasa claw »

Eh, the Elder God version can use at least some of his power outside his home plane because he's not a Prime Elder God while Niami can't (or barely anything really) because she is a Prime Elder Goddess... it makes a pretty significant difference apparently. But whether he'd be allowed to tamper in another Elder God's world is still up for some debate.
Exskie
Initiate

Post by Exskie »

Can we keep this thread to Subjugation pls? It seems we are going off =-track
imthejman85
Sorcerer

Post by imthejman85 »

Exskie wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:29 am Can we keep this thread to Subjugation pls? It seems we are going off =-track
Given that the Sennadar universe is based on Multiverse theory the Subjugation universe is part of the Sennadar multiverse and therefore anything about Tarrin or Him belong on any/all threads on the forums. Personally I think the Shaman and those like her are the Subjugation universes version of druids. They seem to be one with nature, are very close to their our trees, etc. Maybe Jason is a druid? With Fel ya never know!
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -George Orwell
IdiotPaste
Sorcerer

Post by IdiotPaste »

Exskie wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:29 am Can we keep this thread to Subjugation pls? It seems we are going off =-track
I'll give my 2 cents. Since the next installment is called Revolution, I say things go bad but Jason survives and is rescued by a group of Benga rebels who want to free their people from the corporations.
"Any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with."
imthejman85
Sorcerer

Post by imthejman85 »

IdiotPaste wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:36 pm
I'll give my 2 cents. Since the next installment is called Revolution, I say things go bad but Jason survives and is rescued by a group of Benga rebels who want to free their people from the corporations.
More likely members of the races the Bengals have conquored over the thousands of years they've been active I would think.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -George Orwell
MartinK
Da'Shar

Post by MartinK »

Somehow it doesn't feel right, Jason wanting to be the hero when there are certainly a lot more options of what to do than put him into the line of fire in his body. Heck, couldn't it be some Kimdori that gets a bit of his blood to shapeshift into a perfect copy like they do on regular infiltrations?

No, it somehow feels like the author needs something bad to happen to the main character so that something else can be forced to happen... some experimental or theoretical procedure that has little chance to succeed but despite all odds will succeed and make him different somehow. And taking the risk isn't a question since he's dead otherwise anyway.

Well, it's the same here as it is with David Webers Honor Harrington series. The author there planned to kill off Honor and continue the story with her kids but just couldn't do it because he wouldn't ever have gotten back his peaceful life from unhappy readers feeling the need to tell him just how unhappy the death of their hero would make them.

Yet I also have to say, this is the first time I feel that something happened just because it needs to happen to get the story to a specific place - in any of Fel's stories. I wonder if Jason gets to live on in a crystal as a CBIM of some sort... or like ... whats-his-name? But it would allow him eternal life and not open up an option for the general population to become immortal.
What does a signature tell us about a person that has a signature significantly longer than the text he posted in his last post?
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Post by Belgarion213 »

I've kind of felt that Jason was going to get transferred into some kind of psiconic life-form all the way back to the time he built up that perfect body-double at the start of the story, or even the introduction of Rook.

As for what I think is going to happen? I think Jason is going to be merged with the gestalt that he's putting in his arms when he's rendered brain-dead. The biogenic crystal in a gestalt isn't very strong, but the ones he's building that are above tactical gestalt levels? Probably powerful enough that they could support his mind.