Well...that's that. A major announcement.

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Fel
Weavespinner

Well...that's that. A major announcement.

Post by Fel »

As I write this, it looks about 95% certain that Trump is going to win the Presidency.

I just...can't even. To say that I'm ashamed of this nation I once defended in the military is beyond an understatement. I knew this country had problems. I knew that it was racist and xenophobic. But I never, EVER, believed that I would be proven so right.

We just elected the man endorsed by the KKK. God...I weep just saying that.

But it's worse than that. The racist cowards in this country proved me right by electing the single-most gigantic threat to our Republic, and to the very world itself, in modern history. Trump is a narcissist. He is mentally unstable. He will govern by whim and by spite, and I seriously and with all honesty believe that the only way we will get him out of office is with a revolution.

Tomorrow, the world will utterly descend into chaos. Markets are going to crash, foreign goverments are going to freak the fuck out. And mark my words, Putin is going to be mobilizing his army in preparation for reforming the USSR, now that the only thing standing in his way has been removed.

But this is also very personal to my family.

My mother relies on Medicare due to COPD.

My sister is a cancer survivor. No insurance company will touch her.

My nieces rely on Obamacare insurance policies because of pre-existing conditions. They can't get insurance without it.

And now, I honestly and truly fear for the future of my family and my country.

That said, this is why it matters to you.

I won't be writing anytime soon. I won't have the will or the desire, or even the joy to do it. There are many very serious and important things that I have to work through for myself and my family. We have to prepare for what we know is coming.

So, effective today, I am on hiaitus from writing, most likely until early or mid December. I'll keep everyone up to date on Twitter and here on the forums, but to be very honest about it, you wouldn't WANT me writing right now. It wouldn't be very good material.

So, until early December, my friends, please be kind, be safe, and pray for us.

Pray for us all.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
betatester
Katzh-dashi

Re: Well...that's that. A major announcement.

Post by betatester »

World War 3 incoming
gesit
Sui'Kun

Post by gesit »

Yeah m8,

This is a bad day for the whole world, there must be a lot of angry people in the states, that used to fight for freedom
Wish you all the best and hope that world war 3 wont start
a sad one,

Ham
higb
Talent

Post by higb »

I don't think Trump will manage to start WW3; I see him more as incompetent than malicious, and I feel he would have to be the latter to kick off something lick that. That being said, I fully agree that he is a blustering, bigoted, and idiotic man-child that will quite probably manage to cause all sort of damage locally and domestically through economic and social policies. I agree with Fel that healthcare is a particularly problematic area that, if he follows through with some of the things he's said, will change in ways that reduces the medical available to many Americans. Quite frankly I'm shocked that almost half of the people of this country felt that the man who is probably best known for hosting "The Apprentice" is fit to be President.
physicalard
Initiate

Post by physicalard »

This presidential election was the epitome of the lose/lose situation. A crooked politician ora bigotted racist sexist xenophobic narcissist who believes that because he has wealth and fame he can do anything he wants. Never thought an atheist would say this but god save America. Because I think it will take divine intervention to save us.
lapland
Katzh-dashi

Post by lapland »

Through every election cycle the reteric of either party fails to formulate. Trump is often lambasted as sexist and yet he had the first woman manage the building of Trump Tower. He's often criticised for being racist yet he fought a communities zoning laws to permit blacks and Jews to be employees of his country club. So many more examples. Is he an alpha male arrogant narcissist? Oh yeah. But he has also built a business and employed thousands, who have admired him, through sitting down, hearing everyone's concerns and negotiating the best terms he can. Will Obama care be dismantled? Most likely. But those things that are popular and important will remain. I've believed for some time that Democrats come up with great ideas, but they have little concept how to implement them, where Republicans are great at implementing ideas, but are lousy at coming up with ideas that improves the lives of people. When one party, thats in charge, fails to reach across the isle and find out what the other party needs, gridlock and resentment follow. It causes the pendulum of our countries politics to swing dramatically and has been doing so. For decades that pendulum has been getting more and more out of control. Hopefully Trump will employ his negotiating skills and reach across the Isle and make both the Republicans and Democrats feel they are a part of the negotiations for the future of our country. Both parties have opposed him, but he has won the election, whether we like it or not. He must start the negotiations, but both parties have to come to the table prepared to state why they oppose, but also what they are willing to compromise on. For the record, he was the last Republican I wanted to win, but win he did. As a Republican I voted for him, because the alternative was unthinkable. And I knew the Senate and house would block any extremist ideas he might forment. This has been a contentious election. Hopefully everyone will step back and take a deep breath, and realize the world won't end today.
PsychoWulf
Novice

Post by PsychoWulf »

Fel you seem to think that Hillary was the better choice. She was not. I pay for Obamacare and it costs me about $450 a month when before it was about $150 a month for a better healthcare option. Under Obamacare I must pay out of pocket for $10,000 then 40% is covered by them after that $10,000. With my old healthcare it was $2,500 out of pocket for a year then 80% was covered by it. Obamacare is a joke and needs to be redone so that someone can afford healthcare. By the way I only make about $2,000 a month before taxes and after I only make about $1,500 house payment is about $900 a month I have no car payment as I own a pos that was $800. Gas costs me about $100 a month for the car. leaving me with $500 for everything else. Oh wait $450 is gone for Obamacare so that leaves $50 for food for a month. As I am male, white and single I don't qualify for help from anyone so I live off of food that most would not think of buying. I am also forced to get Obamacare as if I didn't it would be a $5,000 a year fine (experienced that last year)
"War is an ugly thing. But not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stuart Mill-
imthejman85
Sorcerer

Post by imthejman85 »

gesit wrote:Yeah m8,

This is a bad day for the whole world, there must be a lot of angry people in the states, that used to fight for freedom
Wish you all the best and hope that world war 3 wont start
a sad one,

Ham
Speaking as a guy who is actively serving in the US military, a vast majority of the AD/Guard/Reserve people I've had discussions and arguments with supported Trump more than Hillary. Most of us acknowledge that he might not be as politically qualified as Clinton, but she has been in the business for what, 20-30 years? She won't change the political game, only enforce the status quo. Americans as a whole are sick of the status quo, and the polls showed that.

HRC wouldn't have probably been any better than Trump. I have little doubt if Clinton was elected, by the end of her first term the military would have basically been in shambles and private weapon ownership would have been either illegal or very heavily restrained. Trump is a narcissist, no one denies that. Everyone calls him racist, xenophobic, sexist, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong(which I'm not), but didn't Clinton proclaim Robert Byrd was one of her friends and mentors? Who was he again? Oh yeah, a major leader of the KKK turned senator. I'm willing to bet HRC had KKK supporters just like Trump did. You can't control who supports you during an election guys, FFS...
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -George Orwell
Rhys898
Talent

Post by Rhys898 »

imthejman85 wrote:
HRC wouldn't have probably been any better than Trump. I have little doubt if Clinton was elected, by the end of her first term the military would have basically been in shambles and private weapon ownership would have been either illegal or very heavily restrained. Trump is a narcissist, no one denies that. Everyone calls him racist, xenophobic, sexist, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong(which I'm not), but didn't Clinton proclaim Robert Byrd was one of her friends and mentors? Who was he again? Oh yeah, a major leader of the KKK turned senator. I'm willing to bet HRC had KKK supporters just like Trump did. You can't control who supports you during an election guys, FFS...
Not to mention the KKK was a direct creation of the democratic party and was essentially the Brown shirts for them. Currently the KKK is believed to have less than 10000 members in a nation of over 300 million. I'm much more afraid of organizations like AntiFa or BLM/New Black Panthers than I am of white nationalists. In the last couple decades white nationalists (regardless of what specific persuasion) haven't done jack shit other than the occasional demonstration. And usually if something goes down it's not them that initiates it. Like the two events in California in the last year. In Sacramento it was (literally masked) members of an AntiFa counter protest that video evidence shows started the fight. Same for the black "activists" that went after the KKK rally in a park in Orange county.

As for charges of xenophobia, who says we're afraid of other races or cultures? I have zero problem with anyone coming to this country legally and following the legal immigration path. I know for a fact that while the Obama administration has not been enforcing the laws against law breakers, they have been dragging their feet for anyone from western Europe who tries to follow the law. A buddy of mine from here in L.A. County spent tens of thousands of dollars and over 4 years before ICE would finally sign off on the british girl he married.

Besides, a nation without borders is literally not a nation. My wife is half mexican, her dad earned his citizenship by serving in the 101st Airborne during two tours in Viet Nam. When he got out he went into law enforcement spending 30 years between El Paso Police and L.A.P.D. He was more anti-illegal immigration than anyone I know. 1. Because it was breaking the law. 2. Because they did not integrate into our society.

I'm sorry you're feeling down Fel, but at some point, something like this HAD to happen. Or something like a very uncivil war would be much closer. This has let off a little steam, at least for the better armed part of our society. Maybe in 6 months when some people see this isn't the end, they will calm down and think about why this happened.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Well spoken ,both logical and reasonable .
MartinK
Da'Shar

Post by MartinK »

As someone who was neither born nor lives in the US, it is especially surprising for me that most presidential elections seem so.. tight. Basically, people in the US choose between just two candidates, ignoring all others to the degree that less than 5% actually vote for all third parties combined. I would have thought that this time at least, that would change. After all, neither Clinton nor Trump looked all that suitable to me.

And most astonishing, i've looked back up to the elections in 2000 and all resulted in a difference of less than 5% for the winning party. How can that be? Is all that activity before the elections, costing hundreds of millions of dollars, really only about such a tiny minority of people that will decide who gets the position?

Oh, and despite loosing, the results show that actually more people voted for Clinton than for Trump - a difference of 200k votes as of now. Shouldn't she have won then?
What does a signature tell us about a person that has a signature significantly longer than the text he posted in his last post?
Steve.K.Bates
Novice

Post by Steve.K.Bates »

MartinK wrote: Oh, and despite loosing, the results show that actually more people voted for Clinton than for Trump - a difference of 200k votes as of now. Shouldn't she have won then?

No, the people can cast their votes for who they want to elect, but the electoral college actually selects the winner...

I myself don't believe HRC has either the ability, or the will, to be another "Iron Lady" (or "Iron Bitch" as some called her).
Cadre
Talent

Post by Cadre »

As a foreigner, I have been more invested in the outcome of this election than I should be. The result while surprising is not surprising for the same reason I see Americans surprised. The only real exposure i have had to Trump and Hillary is through news stories and YouTube videos. That being said I tend to feel a general dislike towards Trump, not for his Xenophobia, and not his video leaks. Its strictly due to the way his supporters talk about him. They all say he will change the political game, he will shake-up the status quo, but how? What is he actually going to do? What laws is he looking to enact? What changes to the Political game will he enforce?

Hillary, had the worst campaign I have seen. All her supporters were so afraid of Donald Trump, they all showed her as a better alternative, the lesser devil, the voice that would proclaim "Hillary Clinton will be a great President" was drowned out. At the end of the day, its sad that they didn't adequately showcase her worth. Bernie Sanders (spelling?) man was full of issue, he had a concrete idea to make changes to American societies, while that one Republican during the republican debate, didn't say much, but he stuck to issues, those 2 to me were worthy of the moniker of Presidential Candidate. Instead you ended up with Trump, who will either amaze or dissappoint. He will either keep his promise and "change" things, or he will end up another Hillary.
calista241
Katzh-dashi

Post by calista241 »

MartinK wrote: Oh, and despite loosing, the results show that actually more people voted for Clinton than for Trump - a difference of 200k votes as of now. Shouldn't she have won then?
The Electoral College are actually the voters who vote for President. When a candidate wins a state vote, that person gets to select the EC voters who actually vote.

Back in the day, the EC was implemented to distribute power away from city centers and towards land holders. If there was no EC, Presidential campaigns would focus almost entirely on California, NYC, Illinois, and a a couple northeastern states. Today, while NYC and CA and a handful of other states still have more EC votes comparatively than other states, other state results actually matter.

If there wasn't an EC, I genuinely think we'd have another "I don't have any representation" brouhaha in the making. There might not be an actual revolt, but there would be a LOT more conflict and political parties would align with that dynamic. Filibusters and shit would happen everywhere since the inner states would have a LOT more senators than the coastal states that would decide the presidential election.
zedd
Sui'Kun

Post by zedd »

Let's stop talking politics before we are all angry with each other ( or at least move this discussion in a different thread). Let's wait and see.

Fel
Sorry to hear the news. Take care of yourself and your family, and give us some news from time to time. We'll be here waiting for you when you feel like writing again.

All the best for you.

Regards everybody