Change of plans.

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Fel
Weavespinner

Change of plans.

Post by Fel »

Just as a head's up, I should be finished with chapter 6 of Path within the week. Sorry about the delay, but work suddenly got crazy when the whole place broke down and major emergency maintance had to be done. That means overtime. Lots of overtime. But I'm at page 16, and I have time off on the horizon to get it done.

The change of plans is this: instead of doing a couple of chapters of Fox and Earth Bond, I'll be working on a new story idea and hopefully releasing a chapter or two of that. I'll still be doing a little work in either Fox or Earth Bond in addition to the new story. I'm leaning heavily towards Earth Bond, but it's not set in stone yet.

This new story is tentatively named Spelldancer, and the summary is thus:

The world of Thress is a world of water, with only one continent divided into two landmasses called the Twin Lands and the rest of the world dominated by the Vast, a mighty ocean filled with archipelagos of small island chains. The Empire rules this continent and the Nine Races of Man that dwell upon it, dividing its citizens between the nobility and merchant clans and the peasants. The noble and the rich live in floating cities above what little land there is on Thress while the peons labor on the precious earth to produce for the Empire.

Thress is a world of magic as well as water. The magical sciences of Runimancy and Symbology powers the Empire, the art and science of creating runes or symbols that trigger magical effects when invoked. Any practiced hand who can inscribe the runes with calligraphic skill can invoke the power of Runimancy, any artistic hand can inscribe the designs of Symbology can draw upon their power, yet it is a crime punishable by death for any peasant to practice either. It is a crime just for a peasant to know how to read and write.

But there is more to the world than Runimancy and Symbology. Long ago, there were the Spelldancers, the first form of magic ever developed by man, a form of magic practiced by the extinct Tenth Race of Man. They were known as the Wavewalkers, who lived in the Vast and traveled from island to island by walking upon the water as if it were solid ground using their magical skills. The Empire thinks the Spelldancers long dead and the people who practiced the art lost to the mists of time, arts that the Empire itself destroyed because it felt the Spelldancers might be a threat.

But those arts live on.

Shen the Younger is one of the last of his people, one of the last of the Wavewalkers, living a simple life as a fisherman. He is one of the last few remaining Spelldancers, having been taught the traditions of his people in secret by his father, Shen the Elder, who hides himself and his son in plain sight on the fringes of the Empire, on one of the thousands of small islands surrounding the Twin Lands, a place where the two exotic fishermen don't stand out very much.

But Shen's simple life of the sea and secret study in the lost arts of his people is thrown into chaos when pirates from the Vast attack Warm Waters and take him captive. Shen the Younger is thrust into a much larger world, a world of lawless pirate strongholds out in the Vast, a world Shen never knew existed. He finds that the Vast isn't as empty as the Empire claims, filled with men who seek to rule themselves rather than be ruled by another, and that the Empire wages an endless secret war to take control of the only part of Thress outside of their dominion...the Vast. Shen is thrust into the middle of the struggle between the free men of the Vast and the Empire that seeks to control them.

-----

That's what I have so far, and I have to admit, I kinda like it. I'll admit now, the Spelldancers will be something of my homage to Avatar in that they enact their magic through movement, akin to "bending," and spelldancing is also used as a martial art, a means of self defense. And the story world and main plot combines several setting and world ideas I've been kicking around for a long time. Thress is a world within a world, with floating sky cities and flying ships soaring over the mundane world below, a world divided between the rich and the poor in stark ways, a world where the civilization of land contends with the wild frontier of the oceanic Vast.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
fear1222
Sorcerer

Re: Change of plans.

Post by fear1222 »

It sounds freaking awesome. Can't wait for whatever you decide to put out.
ralbloke
Sorcerer

Post by ralbloke »

Thanks for the update Fel.
New story sounds like it will be very interesting.
My vote is for new chapters in anything really.
Keep up the great work please.
Ralph
gesit
Sui'Kun

Post by gesit »

great idee m8,
go for it,
thanks,

ham
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

Thanx for update. Can't wait to see how the new story turns out.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
dragn982
Talent

Post by dragn982 »

I'll admit, that sounds really interesting. Looking forward to it.
calista241
Katzh-dashi

Post by calista241 »

Sounds super interesting.

How on earth do you come up with these ideas Fel?
TheFanatics
Initiate

Post by TheFanatics »

Sounds pretty awesome, can't wait for it!
mjkj
Katzh-dashi

Post by mjkj »

Thanks for the update, Fel
ramouton
Sorcerer

Post by ramouton »

Sounds good to me too. I live in anticipation.
somni
Novice

Post by somni »

I was really hoping for more subjugation...there is so much more to go in that world it is amazing. KIT, Earth bond, fox would be good too as well. But you need to write what you want to write or you will go bonkers. Since i have yet to love anything you have written I'm sure I will love it.
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Awesome. Can't wait for it.
I have loved whatever stories you come with the wonderful head you have. :D
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Been faithfully checking everyday. At my age, it became a hobby. :P
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
user71s2
Talent

Post by user71s2 »

just keep writing! thanks for the updates!!
Mari
Initiate

Post by Mari »

Well my 1st thought was The Last Air Bender. But anything you write i will always read.
Thx for the update appreciate it.
have fun writing.
Ships were never meant to stay in the Harbour.
They where meant for the the deep ocean waters.
They where created out of Hope, We where created out of Hope.