Well, that's one less distraction.

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Fel
Weavespinner

Well, that's one less distraction.

Post by Fel »

For those that don't follow games, today the Warcraft devs said in an article that they were not returning flying to the game in current content.

Aaaand, that just made me unsub.

Not that I was so twisted up over no flight. It's more of a "last straw" issue for me. The xpac was underwhelming, and what was worse, the devs seemed to be actively paring out anything fun or amusing. They death-nerfed toys and other useless cosmetic items. They turned the entire xpac into a NO-FUN grind, as opposed to the fun grinds in older xpacs. The devs seem to have completely lost sight of what makes a game a game...to HAVE FUN.

So, who can suggest a new game that happens to be, you know...fun?
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
PM83
Talent

Re: Well, that's one less distraction.

Post by PM83 »

Alpha Centauri!!!!

Because 4X games from the 90s are the best games.
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Post by Belgarion213 »

What kind of game are you looking for? If your looking for a MMO, then the only ones I actually had FUN with (other than WoW) were The Old Republic (honestly I was playing this more as a single player game that just happened to have other people walking around, I REALLY liked the single player stories, but once you played through them its probably not really worth replaying. That said since every character gets there their own story...) The other one I thought was pretty cool was FFXIV: A Realm Reborn. After a disasterous launch they went back and fixed the thing up and relaucnhed it and its acutally rahter fun now. Combat's a bit repeative but the landscales are gorgeous and there's a lot of fun to be had there.

If you wan't something else to play, well The Witcher 3 just came out, and thats meant to be pretty amazing, though I haven't touched it yet. Witcher ONe and 2 had their issues but they were very good games and the developers translate the Witcher books into a game very well.

Or of course there's Bioware's Dragon Age, which while it isn't as good as Baulder's gate is still a lot of fun. The sequel was pretty bad but I've heard some good things about the third game in the series Inquisition (and some not so great things but the positives seem to be outwaying the negatives).

I'm obligated to suggest Form Software's games. That is, Demon Soul's, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne here. Demon Souls is PS3 exclusive, and Bloodborne (which I just beat and had an AMAZING time with) is PS4 exclusive but Dark souls and Dark Souls 2 had PC ports (though honestly if you play on PC you better buy a gamepad(Probably the 360 controler) for your computer because trying to play either with mouse/keyboard is going to drive you to insanity). Their challenging but a LOT of fun once your work out how to play.

While it was more the Nemesis system, Shadow of Morder was a great game, and I really liked the concept of the Wraith and hte quest to delay and stop Sauron.

For quick arcade hits, Geometry Wars 3 is great.

New X-Com and its Expansion are going to be great hits if your into turn based Stratergy and along the same line there's the Shadowrun Returns games if your into that kind of thing. Xcom is probably the superior product here but I rather liked Shadowrun Returns (though Dragonfall beats the initial campaign easily, fortuantely its stand alone now)

X3 (Reunion/TC/Albion Prologue) remain the main game for running corporate empires (unless you join a large corporation in EVE). X-Rebirth doesn't really hold the spirit of X, which is a bit of a shame. X lets you do everything from being a space ace to setting up massive corporate trading routes. Its Single player but its more a intellectual test to get everything working than anything else. That said, if you get over the barrier for entry its a LOT of fun...but that barrier is pretty damn high.

Speaking of Corporate Extortion, if you haven't played it, Get Recettear: An item Shops Tale because that game is just amazingly fun and cute.

Hopefully somewhere in there is something that tickles your fancy. If not, I have plenty of other suggestions if you want them.
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

I've been going through an old stack of hard drives today (that I brought back with me last time I went home to New Zealand), and I was looking at screen shots of my characters in WoW. It actually made me a bit sad because I really do miss raiding, but I don't have the time to play these day (I haven't played in 4-5 years).

It's a pity to hear they're making the game less fun, but then again, since I loved the raiding and as I'm sure they still cater to the raid progression peeps I would probably still enjoy it :P
Mandorin
Novice

Post by Mandorin »

Let's see...

The later TES games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim. The first, last, and only word in sandbox RPGs.

Final Fantasy series, any you haven't played, possibly excepting the 13 series.

Dragon Quest series, particularly V, VI, VIII.

Baldur's Gate and sequel: Even if you've played them, play them again. They're still fun.

Elona: little-known Japanese quasi-roguelike. Free.

Fallout 2: Old, but great.

Fallout New Vegas: Also great. Takes all the ideas 3 had for bringing Fallout into the modern era, and expands upon them to make a good game. It is prone to crash, though.

Rogue Legacy: Creative little roguelite

Diablo II or III. Blizzard isn't completely irredeemable, even if you feel they're ruining WoW.

Alpha Centauri (as mentioned above), especially with its expansion pack

Master of Orion 1/2 (You'll need dosbox for 1, and possibly for 2). Of course, looking at Subjugation, I think we can safely assume you've played 2.

Master of Magic (Again, dosbox. It may be old, but it's still one of the best 4x games I've ever played)

Betrayal at Krondor (dosbox. A brilliant game interpretation of the world of Raymond E. Feist)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Last edited by Mandorin on Mon May 25, 2015 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
zedd
Sui'Kun

Post by zedd »

Guild Wars2
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

Depends if you are sticking with PC or moving to a console. If you want old but good games, I suggest looking at gog.com which has loads of the old favorite games like baldurs gate, privateer, and many many more of different genres, and it is very cheap; often less than 5 dollars for a game that is already configured to work with a windows or apple system. For MMOs, emphasis on massive, I suggest Eve Online or the new star citizen for space based intricate and rich games that are fun to play, and I'm not sure what you would do for fantasy based. I'm playing dragon age inquisition at the moment, and the depth of story is simply amazing; really and truly worth playing, even the grinding or deliver missions have rich fun components to them. Or you could get involved in the wonder and creativity of Minecraft; I suggest the Feed the beast infinity (ftb infinity) mod that can be downloaded for free after you buy Minecraft. I enjoy building and exploring the world, and the magic systems and engineering are very satisfying to work with; really works your creative side. I'd invite you to our server if you get Minecraft.

For the console I have a ps4 and enjoyed assassins creed and other games, but am really looking forward to No Mans Sky; a new game that has yet to release and includes a literal universe of unexplored planets. The new assassins creed syndicate looks somewhat promising.
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
fridgey
Sorcerer

Post by fridgey »

Only modern game I play these days is Hearthstone.
Darksparkru2
Novice

Post by Darksparkru2 »

If you happened to enjoy Diablo II, Diablo III, Torchlight, really just that style of game, I recommended playing Path of Exile. It is a hard game to get into, but it is one of the most fun games I have ever played. The major draw of it is the passive tree, gem choices, and the loot system that isn't just a lootgasm like Diablo III has become. You actively have to hunt/trade/craft good items, and they aren't just handed to you. On top of that, in early July they are releasing their big 2.0 patch which will fix a large amount of current problems the game has. It is a completely free-to-play game run on microtransactions where the microtransactions are actually all cosmetic.
bigthunder
Initiate

Post by bigthunder »

psssst... Fel they changed there mind. https://games.yahoo.com/news/flying-ret ... 04829.html
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

I saw, but flying wasn't the main reason I quit. It was the symptom of the underlying problem, which is the fact that Blizzard doesn't care about its gane anymore. The devs have systematically stripped out everything fun about the game over the course of the expansion.

They've fallen into the SOE trap, minimum effort to maximize revenue, confident that their players are too addicted to quit. Hell, WoD xpac was $10 more than all the others, a pure cash grab now that I can look back at it in retrospect.

I'm done with WoW no matter what they do, because I've lost respect for Blizzard as a company. That includes the fact that I won't be playing any other Blizzard product. They aren't the company they used to be. They've been subverted by Activision and have become the new SOE.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Blacktiger
Da'Shar

Post by Blacktiger »

Well, Fel if you care about a company that cares about its clientele might I direct your attention towards CD PRoject Red, the developers of the Witcher Series ( http://en.cdprojektred.com/ )? Their philosophy is driven by actually taking the gamer seriously ! They have even a (mostly) free DLC policy! One just has to look at the massive upgrade for witcher 2, that came out for free, to enhance the game and ad missions (the original had already plenty). And now with witcher 3, a massive open world game, we have the same. Tons of new content to an already huge game and 2 upcomming big expansions for like 24 € !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sorry for the shameless advertisement but I hope you will forgive me because I have been struck mightily by the Affection and Adulation Hammer of Doom !!! I am addicted !!!! Wwheeeeeeeee :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I LOVE THE WITCHER

And I love you too, Fel :wink:
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

Hi Fel, I'm not a gamer, but my son works for one of the larger game developers, 'EA' and from what I've heard there is a new game in the development stage that you might want to keep a lookout for. In my opinion it will be either Great or a total dud.
The name of the game is 'No Man's Sky' and the developer is 'Hello Games' (I think?) There's a blurb about it on BBC today at http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33183508

What's different is that this game is being developed strictly using algorithms, not just bright ideas and from what I understand the concept is mind boggling - but then as I said, I'm not a gamer. :?

kp
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
wathman
Novice

Post by wathman »

No Man's Sky has been getting a lot of attention.
http://kotaku.com/i-played-15-minutes-o ... 1714196124

Very ambitious, though the decision to make it completely sandbox may hurt it in the long run. While it's nice to be able to do whatever the hell you want in a game, purposely leaving no story or direction take a lot of motivation to play the game for a lot of people. Even minecraft, the most sandbox of all sandbox games out there still has a story portion to it with a defined goal.