Secession - Chapter 4

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
lagomilo
Sorcerer

Secession - Chapter 4

Post by lagomilo »

Great(short) chapter Fel!!!!!!!! Now I want/need to know how the battle royale went at the end of the chapter. Does Jason go Matrix on the guards or will numbers overwhelm him.

Other question, how are Jyslin, Symone and Dahnis' pregnancies going??

Thanks,

lago
dellstart
Child of Niami

Re: Secession - Chapter 4

Post by dellstart »

Well that chapter was worth the wait, very satisfying indeed. Though I m not sure how this combined or shared watching of our Royal generation, is really going to pan out. The Denmother was right about shya, no way in hell, is that little girl going to give up or Rann or him on her. 8) The kizzik perspective was interesting as well.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

What’s the protocol in with regards to the newly independent Karrine House? How exactly, will Jason, Rann or Jyslin for that matter be addressed? What status does each now have?
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

SO the faey agressive tendacies are sublimated in to making lots and lots of money. Also, the peaceful peoples are relieved that the karrines are not going to go and attack others. I see the imperium courting less advanced races, to encourage them to join the imperium, terra has protectorate status, so something similar for say the colonies or zion.

THe thing is the skaa are an agressive race, but they wont be able to conquer any one new. So what will this mean for them now? I see them attempting to find a way to unite the two skaa states.

Does torsion or dark matter weaponry hurt things in FTL phase? I see it developed in to a ship based system, so a ship creates it own phase field. A fighter carrier, would carry a small catapult to launch fighters at range. DUe the kimdori being resticted in their movements to spy, they would be eager to create this tech.
.S.A.M.K.M
khms
Novice

Post by khms »

SYED wrote:SO the faey agressive tendacies are sublimated in to making lots and lots of money.[...]

THe thing is the skaa are an agressive race, but they wont be able to conquer any one new. So what will this mean for them now?
The Faey are an aggressive species. So are the Skaa. And so are Humans.

Hasn't stopped us to mostly lead peaceful lives, so ...

(At least we haven't seen the old cliché of vegetarian aliens that will therefore be peaceful, and the other way around. Tell that to a water buffalo (one of the most dangerous animals, and a vegetarian) or a house cat (meat eater, and very into purring). Far too many SF authors do that one. Puppeteers and Kzin, anyone?)

Of course, instead we have the aliens who inexplicably are able to breed with us ... I'm sure there must be a list of these things somewhere.

Still, the story as a story is great. Sorry for going off on one of my pet peeves, SF ignoring well known facts of biology without giving any excuse. (Or any other science, for that matter.)
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

khms wrote:Of course, instead we have the aliens who inexplicably are able to breed with us ... I'm sure there must be a list of these things somewhere.

Still, the story as a story is great. Sorry for going off on one of my pet peeves, SF ignoring well known facts of biology without giving any excuse. (Or any other science, for that matter.)
This has been addressed in the story as "Gora's Law" but if you search through previous forum discussions Fel has stated that this theory is wrong.
In subject titled 'On the origin of species (interplanetary edition)' Fel wrote:You're essentially correct in that the genetic compatibility of humans and Faey would be statistically impossible if they developed on different planets. The Faey mark it off as Gora's Law, but the reality is quite different.

The Faey aren't native to Draconis. Gora's Law explains their genetic "nearness" to Draconian life, but the truth is, both the humans and the Faey descended from a common ancestor. They're splinter branches of the same race.
In subject titled 'More human generations?' Fel wrote:The Faey were transplanted off of Earth by a far superior spacefaring species and put on Draconis to save them from extinction at the hands of an emerging humanity.
There are other hints to be found about the species on Exile (and possibly the Shio) also being a "splinter branch".
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
TLGG
Katzh-dashi

Post by TLGG »

I remember reading that... Ancient meddling spacefaring... Kimdori!
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

TLGG wrote:I remember reading that... Ancient meddling spacefaring... Kimdori!
Actually, no.

The race that moved the Faey left our galaxy before the Kimdori developed sufficient hyperspace jump technology to explore past their home sector. For convenience's sake, you can think of them as "the Meddlers." The Faey weren't the only species that got transplanted to a new home. The Meddlers seeded potentially arable planets with other life if that planet didn't develop high-order potentially sentient life on its own. Over millions and millions of years, though, those transplanted races evolved and changed, to the point where they diverged from their "sister species" on their original planet.

And no, the Shio aren't related to humanity or the Faey. They are a product of their planet...but their exact similarity to those two races does prove, to some extent, the viability of Gora's Law. In fact, it's the primary example most scientists use to prove the theory. The Shio and the Faey are anatomically and even psychologically similar, VERY similar, but they are different species. Shio have copper molecule-based blood, not iron-based, which makes it green. That kind of fundamental evolutionary development started WAY before, for example, the proto-Faey were transplanted from their orginal home of Australia. The vast majority of animal life on their home planet has this commonality, much as 99% of animal life on our planet has iron-based blood.

There ARE copper-based animals on our planet, believe it or not. They're mainly several species of cold-water crustaceans. The most well known is that "boxer shrimp" whose name I don't recall, the one with little hammer arms that can strike with such power that they concuss and stun their prey, if not outright kill them. But their blood is actually blue, not green, due to the oxygen-bonding molecule in their blood called hemocyanin. Shio blood uses a different copper molecule that colors it green, which is the actual natural color of copper ore. Copper ore is mainly copper and oxygen, and is green. Green is the "rust" color of copper, and since the copper in the blood cells is meant to carry oxygen...well, there you go.

That's why our blood cells are red, by the way. Because of the iron in our "red" blood cells.

Yes, I paid attention in science class. ;)

But you're right that the Kimdori are ancient, far far more ancient than anyone realizes. They are currently the oldest spacefaring species in our galaxy. They had developed hyperspace travel tens of thousands of years before either the humans or the Faey had gone past tying rocks to sticks with pieces of vine.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

Fel wrote: But you're right that the Kimdori are ancient, far far more ancient than anyone realizes. They are currently the oldest spacefaring species in our galaxy. They had developed hyperspace travel tens of thousands of years before either the humans or the Faey had gone past tying rocks to sticks with pieces of vine.
Which brings up a Question that I've had for a long time

Is Denmother one of the First Kimdori ?

And will we learn more or about these Meddlers in the future?

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Fel wrote:
TLGG wrote:I remember reading that... Ancient meddling spacefaring... Kimdori!
Actually, no.

The race that moved the Faey left our galaxy before the Kimdori developed sufficient hyperspace jump technology to explore past their home sector. For convenience's sake, you can think of them as "the Meddlers." The Faey weren't the only species that got transplanted to a new home. The Meddlers seeded potentially arable planets with other life if that planet didn't develop high-order potentially sentient life on its own. Over millions and millions of years, though, those transplanted races evolved and changed, to the point where they diverged from their "sister species" on their original planet.

And no, the Shio aren't related to humanity or the Faey. They are a product of their planet...but their exact similarity to those two races does prove, to some extent, the viability of Gora's Law. In fact, it's the primary example most scientists use to prove the theory. The Shio and the Faey are anatomically and even psychologically similar, VERY similar, but they are different species. Shio have copper molecule-based blood, not iron-based, which makes it green. That kind of fundamental evolutionary development started WAY before, for example, the proto-Faey were transplanted from their orginal home of Australia. The vast majority of animal life on their home planet has this commonality, much as 99% of animal life on our planet has iron-based blood.

There ARE copper-based animals on our planet, believe it or not. They're mainly several species of cold-water crustaceans. The most well known is that "boxer shrimp" whose name I don't recall, the one with little hammer arms that can strike with such power that they concuss and stun their prey, if not outright kill them. But their blood is actually blue, not green, due to the oxygen-bonding molecule in their blood called hemocyanin. Shio blood uses a different copper molecule that colors it green, which is the actual natural color of copper ore. Copper ore is mainly copper and oxygen, and is green. Green is the "rust" color of copper, and since the copper in the blood cells is meant to carry oxygen...well, there you go.

That's why our blood cells are red, by the way. Because of the iron in our "red" blood cells.

Yes, I paid attention in science class. ;)

But you're right that the Kimdori are ancient, far far more ancient than anyone realizes. They are currently the oldest spacefaring species in our galaxy. They had developed hyperspace travel tens of thousands of years before either the humans or the Faey had gone past tying rocks to sticks with pieces of vine.
That explains a lot fel , like why the Faey like to have a good time , a good root and a love for hawt sheila.They were the original Aussies. :wink:
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

How much do all the other generations , really know about whats going on or why they are confined to karis?
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

dellstart wrote:How much do all the other generations , really know about whats going on or why they are confined to karis?
As I recall, all the Generations have met with Cybi and had their history explained to them. Plus they all have access to the gestalts that boost their abilities rather than just the telepathic interfaces.
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
TLGG
Katzh-dashi

Post by TLGG »

I was actually wondering, are the Meddlers one of those secrets the Kimdori have to keep to themselves..? Because they have to at the very least suspect they existed.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

expedient wrote:
dellstart wrote:How much do all the other generations , really know about whats going on or why they are confined to karis?
As I recall, all the Generations have met with Cybi and had their history explained to them. Plus they all have access to the gestalts that boost their abilities rather than just the telepathic interfaces.
True that , just was wondering how much they are aware of, and what they kinda of know or dont. Plus knowing the Faey , take care of myself first attitude , wondering whats to stop one selling his cells to turn over a buck.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

TLGG wrote:I was actually wondering, are the Meddlers one of those secrets the Kimdori have to keep to themselves..? Because they have to at the very least suspect they existed.
The Kimdori actually know very little about the Meddlers. They were moving through the galaxy early enough to find some artifacts and such from when they were in the galaxy, but much of what they know of them is very sketchy at best. All they really know is that it was some kind of ancient race that mastered technologies that the Kimdori STILL are 50,000 years away from achieving.

The Meddlers moved from galaxy to galaxy, spreading life as much as they possibly could. They took life off planet A and moved it to planet B if planet B could sustain that life and didn't have equivalent life on it at the time the species was moved, and especially if a species was endangered or threatened on its home planet. That was how the Faey were transplanted off Earth and moved to Draconis. The Faey were down to only about 3,000 people, being pushed closer and closer to extinction by the ancestors of the Aborigenes. The Meddlers collected up all the Faey and moved them to Draconis, a planet where they had no competition from other sentient life. There, they blossomed, as you've seen. ;)

The Meddlers do have some presence in the mythology of species like the Faey, who were moved by them. Their most ancient myths and tales refer to the Meddlers as shadowy agents of Trelle who watched over and protected the Faey. The Meddlers were Trelle's "angels," whom in Faey are called the Gara Viki, the Shining Ones.

The myth of Baala and Baaen is also a direct reference to the transplantation of the Faey to Draconis. Their dimmest memories of being moved from Earth to Draconis shows up in the creation myth from Trellian religious texts. It was their "Adam and Eve" tale, which if you look at it, does have a curious resemblence to what actually happened.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.