newb Q - starting point

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
thomas
Talent

newb Q - starting point

Post by thomas »

:oops: I was pointed toward this site by a WolvesandDragons reader. Unforunately, I have been lurking in the maze of stories feeling like Beck. I am sure the stories must be great, but finding where to start is a lost cause. I'll hope that takes some of you a minute or two too connect those dots; however, seriously - HELP! Please point me towards the first book Fel's series that includes Tribulation. A list of the books with links to their location would be great for anyone new to the group.

One more question while I still have the floor - Phantom, are the wraith who thought Denali was wearing Hello Kitty t-shirts? :P
fortress
Sorcerer

Re: newb Q - starting point

Post by fortress »

The first of the series that has Tribulation is Subjugation. The easiest spot for getting the full books is at http://www.weavespinner.net/Worlds_of_Fel.htm

You can download all of the previous novels there in multiple formats.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Actually its probably best going to old forums or site, then progressing from there.This specific series (Faey sci -fi) is Subjugation .

Though, if you want to spend the next three to four months of your life (literally) reading one of the best fantasy series ever .Then check out tarrin and co in the Sennadar universe. Its addictive ,you have been warned.
thomas
Talent

Post by thomas »

Thank you for the pointers. When you come to the party late, it can be confusing and this is where I have been lately.
artreus
Sorcerer

Post by artreus »

what is this wolvesanddragons you speak of ?
its been a while since i crashed a party myself :-o
fortress
Sorcerer

Post by fortress »

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wolvesand ... ftheBlood/

Another really good series, currently up to Book 4 in the series. It starts with Time of Eden, then A Spartan's War, A Spartan's War Discovery, and the current book Wolves and Dragons of the Blood.

The current novel makes even Fel's books look short...
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

thomas wrote::oops: I was pointed toward this site by a WolvesandDragons reader. Unforunately, I have been lurking in the maze of stories feeling like Beck. I am sure the stories must be great, but finding where to start is a lost cause. I'll hope that takes some of you a minute or two too connect those dots; however, seriously - HELP! Please point me towards the first book Fel's series that includes Tribulation. A list of the books with links to their location would be great for anyone new to the group.

One more question while I still have the floor - Phantom, are the wraith who thought Denali was wearing Hello Kitty t-shirts? :P

You haven't started reading his Sennadar Books yet <G>
Yea his Sub series is a bit short compaired to the Spartians War series

But Fels Sennadar ( or Tarrin ) Series is quite long.

Honor and Blood Book 3 in that series is about on par with book 4 Wolves and dragons of the blood

Well he was Wearing a hello kitty T-shirt ....but we'll have to wait and see <G> :shock:

It could have made a good episode of Pilots gone wild though .....hehehehehehehehe

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
artreus
Sorcerer

Post by artreus »

well, have started reading the first chapter twice now,
but not getting into it ...

maybe i will have to try again when i am totally bored because as it is now i dont see the story going anywhere interesting ,

any others here that have read the series and care to praise or critisize ?
nicolai
Da'Shar

Post by nicolai »

The first two-three chapters of Tarrin are a bit slow, although I enjoyed them. It gets better after that. As others have stated, it becomes addictive and it takes a long time to read the entire tale. It also took Fel 18 years to complete, iirc. I totalled it up once, and again iirc, the total was comfortably over 2 million words. It wouldn't take me long to double check as I have the stories compiled, so I'd just need to check 8 files for word count.

Boy, was I wrong on that estimate. The actual word count for Sennadar and the Pyrosian Chronicles is 16,013,713. The smallest of those eight files is approximately 1.49 million words, the longest is about 2.29 million words. It makes me shudder to contemplate simply typing that many words. He started early enough that he may not have had a computer for the first few books. Imagine typing something like that and having to proof and spellcheck. It would mean a complete re-type, and probably more than once. Then there's the cost of that much paper; and how in the blazes do you store something like that, especially if it isn't bound? The younger folks on this forum have no concept how much the computer revolutionised writing.

I think my favorite tale would be Kit, with Subjugation coming in a close second. Subjugation also starts a little slowly, but it picks up steam pretty quickly.

I dabble in writing myself. However, I'm not in Fel's class and I know it.
An objective definition of "Political Correctness":

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

nicolai wrote:Imagine typing something like that and having to proof and spellcheck. It would mean a complete re-type, and probably more than once. Then there's the cost of that much paper; and how in the blazes do you store something like that, especially if it isn't bound? The younger folks on this forum have no concept how much the computer revolutionised writing.
The first two books and half of book 3 in the Sennadar series were originally written in spiral notebooks...six of them. I wrote them, literally.

I started Tower of Sorcery in 1985, in my sophomore year of high school. I don't remember exactly when I finished. And boy, did it get me in a lot of trouble in school, as I'd be writing instead of paying attention in class.

After I got out of the military, I decided to start writing again. I pulled out those spirals and literally rewrote the first two books by transcribing them out of the spirals and onto what was then my brand new shiny 386/16MHz computer, complete with Wordstar, making many of those changes Nicolai alluded to that really can only be easily done with a word processor program.

And those story files were kept on FLOPPY DISKS. I still have those disks. They're in my nightstand, wrapped up in a rubber band.

I still have those spirals as well...somewhere. I think. They're in a box. As to if that box in the attic or stuffed in a closet somewhere is the question.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Fel wrote:
nicolai wrote:Imagine typing something like that and having to proof and spellcheck. It would mean a complete re-type, and probably more than once. Then there's the cost of that much paper; and how in the blazes do you store something like that, especially if it isn't bound? The younger folks on this forum have no concept how much the computer revolutionised writing.
The first two books and half of book 3 in the Sennadar series were originally written in spiral notebooks...six of them. I wrote them, literally.

I started Tower of Sorcery in 1985, in my sophomore year of high school. I don't remember exactly when I finished. And boy, did it get me in a lot of trouble in school, as I'd be writing instead of paying attention in class.

After I got out of the military, I decided to start writing again. I pulled out those spirals and literally rewrote the first two books by transcribing them out of the spirals and onto what was then my brand new shiny 386/16MHz computer, complete with Wordstar, making many of those changes Nicolai alluded to that really can only be easily done with a word processor program.

And those story files were kept on FLOPPY DISKS. I still have those disks. They're in my nightstand, wrapped up in a rubber band.

I still have those spirals as well...somewhere. I think. They're in a box. As to if that box in the attic or stuffed in a closet somewhere is the question.
Fel,does the younger generation , even know what floppy disks are, let alone spiral note books ?
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

I'm sure they've heard of them. You know, part of computer mythology immortalized in that commercial I see on TV of four nerds gaping at a fifth, one saying "it's the Elder, he who speaks of...FLOPPY DISKS!", then he turns and looks at them and scathingly retorts, "You're all soft."

It's the 386/16 that I think they have no inkling as to what it is. ;)
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Fel wrote:I'm sure they've heard of them. You know, part of computer mythology immortalized in that commercial I see on TV of four nerds gaping at a fifth, one saying "it's the Elder, he who speaks of...FLOPPY DISKS!", then he turns and looks at them and scathingly retorts, "You're all soft."

Lmao!!!!
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Fel wrote:I'm sure they've heard of them. You know, part of computer mythology immortalized in that commercial I see on TV of four nerds gaping at a fifth, one saying "it's the Elder, he who speaks of...FLOPPY DISKS!", then he turns and looks at them and scathingly retorts, "You're all soft."

my first computer was a TI99-4a (think that was the initials, when the texas Instruments market collapsed and they were 50 bucks each) after that I got a Commodore 64, then a Commodore Amiga, after that I got a 386 DX40

So Long ago.....
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Hearly wrote:

my first computer was a TI99-4a (think that was the initials, when the texas Instruments market collapsed and they were 50 bucks each) after that I got a Commodore 64, then a Commodore Amiga, after that I got a 386 DX40

So Long ago.....
Did you have that cartridge game that was the knockoff of Pac-man, where you had to fill the maze with links rather than eat dots?

That game so epically CHEATED.