Spirit Walker - Spoilers - Chapters 1 through part of 14

Caution: Spoilers
Discussions about the Spirit Walker and Shadow Walker stories.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
Fel
Weavespinner

Re: Spirit Walker - Spoilers

Post by Fel »

dellstart wrote:Talk about absolute bastadry!

Funny how the most acute cruelty ,is always being performed by those who think who feel they are most enlightened.Sad to say , but true.
And so you see the truth of things, young grasshopper. ;)

Arthur Ledwell is a perfect example of the outrageous arrogance of man, and also how someone who seems so normal, even benevolent, can hide an evil nature.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Fel wrote:
dellstart wrote:Talk about absolute bastadry!

Funny how the most acute cruelty ,is always being performed by those who think who feel they are most enlightened.Sad to say , but true.
And so you see the truth of things, young grasshopper. ;)

Arthur Ledwell is a perfect example of the outrageous arrogance of man, and also how someone who seems so normal, even benevolent, can hide an evil nature.
I see that often .... Fel the consummate storyteller who has been giving fans enjoyment has a twisted side to him when he writes with all those cliffhangers.... the evil side of him which I love to endure just for the sake of pleasure in reading.. :D
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

I'm waiting for the Lore-Guard Captain chicka to buy Kyven at the Auction Blue Ring. Something will make her be there and make here want to buy this Arcan. Then she will find a little zoophylia with this Arcan. Then he will help her see that Arcan's are "people" too. And they will help unite the Arcan tribes and do for Arcan's what Rosa Parks did for integration in this country.

J-Man5
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

J-Man5 wrote:I'm waiting for the Lore-Guard Captain chicka to buy Kyven at the Auction Blue Ring. Something will make her be there and make here want to buy this Arcan. Then she will find a little zoophylia with this Arcan. Then he will help her see that Arcan's are "people" too. And they will help unite the Arcan tribes and do for Arcan's what Rosa Parks did for integration in this country.

J-Man5
Ah, no.

But, I will say this.

And this IS A SPOILER:

Kyven will cross paths with her in his Arcan form.

How does that affect the story?

I'll let you think about that. ;)
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

An eidetic memory, and Kyven's features (most likely his eyes) catch her.

Either that, or he sees the other side, that of what the Loreguard think of the Arcan, especially if she cottons onto the fact that he's a Shadow Fox, not a mutated Gray.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Lochar wrote:An eidetic memory, and Kyven's features (most likely his eyes) catch her.
Cookie!
Cougar2k2
Sui'Kun

Post by Cougar2k2 »

Thanks so much for the spoilers Fel and to those of you who pieced it together. Ok, we have the how but now we need the when and where. I'm extremely curious about it but not sure if I want to know those until they happen.
"I can control my destiny, but not my fate. Destiny means there are opportunities to turn right or left, but fate is a one-way street. I believe we all have the choice as to whether we fulfil our destiny, but our fate is sealed."
--Paulo Coelho
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

Cougar2k2 wrote:Thanks so much for the spoilers Fel and to those of you who pieced it together. Ok, we have the how but now we need the when and where. I'm extremely curious about it but not sure if I want to know those until they happen.
Oh oh! I want to know! I want to know! This is the spoiler thread after all. :twisted: Pretty please, with a cookie?

~Michael
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Does the lore guard make use of Arcans or do they adopt a policy like Holm's, of only humans ?
It seems to make sense, it would be more the latter than the former, specifically if you throw in the anti shaman bias.
Therefore the meeting of the two will probably take the form of a meeting somewhere , and not in the form of a purchase by el captain.
Thats my two cents.
afrigeek
Da'Shar

Post by afrigeek »

I have to agree with Metatrone about Fel's characters being very forgiving. I would NEVER forgive the shadow fox for what she did even after understanding WHY. It is simply to cruel a way to put a lesson across.
"Bachelors should be heavily taxed. It is not fair that some men should be happier than others." - Oscar Wilde

What actually happened was that George Dubya Bush saw an Iraqi maths teacher carrying a geometry set, accused him of being a member of the notorious Al-gebra movement, and charged him with possessing weapons of maths instruction.
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

An easy lesson, you will hardly remembers

A hard lesson, you will easily remembers

A bitter lesson will make you hard

A cruel lesson, you will not forget and forgive, it may even kill you.
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

afrigeek wrote:I have to agree with Metatrone about Fel's characters being very forgiving. I would NEVER forgive the shadow fox for what she did even after understanding WHY. It is simply to cruel a way to put a lesson across.
Kyven's relationship with his totem will NEVER be as trusting as it was when it began, which is actually the way the fox wants it. But he will, at least in a way, forgive her when he comes to understand her motives. He will never love her again, but he will understand, and eventually forgive. Warily forgive, but forgive. He'll go Reagan on her after that, "peace through strength, trust but verify."

And thereby gain wisdom.

You may not believe this, but she did it for his own good. The spirits can be cruel, and they would be especially cruel to him. She wasn't joking when she told him that he got off EASY with her compared to what he may have received at the hands of another spirit. There are some spirits who hate the fact that there's a human Shaman just as much as there are some Arcans who do. She literally did this for his own protection. By giving him an intimate understanding of the Arcan life, she's arming him with weapons to protect himself against both the Arcans and the spirits.

The fact that she is his totem would be no protection if he summoned a different spirit. And he IS capable of that. His magic comes from her, but he can summon ANY spirit.

And, since this is me here, there's more going on than what you see. Like I said before, the fox was going to do this to him no matter what. It's not just a matter of teaching him wisdom. This is EXTREMELY important. There are things that Kyven absolutely MUST do, and he can ONLY accomplish these objectives as an Arcan.
Ledsmith
Sorcerer

Post by Ledsmith »

I have been trying to figure out the geography of the story. Definately set on the east coast of the United States. Pretty sure Avannar is D.C., Riyan Is Richmond VA., Stinger Bay is Norfolk VA. Atan is most likly in West Virginia given Fel's history. Pretty sure Kyven is now in "the deep south" around Savannah of Atlanta GA. It sounds like the "Blue Ring" is either in New Orleans of even farther south, somewhere like Mexico city. Would like to know anybody elses opinion.

Are Arcans treated similarly all aroung the world or just in this small area.
miraborn
Da'Shar

Post by miraborn »

Ledsmith wrote:I have been trying to figure out the geography of the story. Definately set on the east coast of the United States. Pretty sure Avannar is D.C., Riyan Is Richmond VA., Stinger Bay is Norfolk VA. Atan is most likly in West Virginia given Fel's history. Pretty sure Kyven is now in "the deep south" around Savannah of Atlanta GA. It sounds like the "Blue Ring" is either in New Orleans of even farther south, somewhere like Mexico city. Would like to know anybody elses opinion.

Are Arcans treated similarly all aroung the world or just in this small area.
I agree with the general geographic location. I was playing around with Google Earth, but distances didn't quite match up. My sense is that the Podak (sp) river is the Potomac river, thus giving a basis for further discovery. I think that many of the town and landmark names reflect their "original" names from our time. It does seem likely that as you exit the area of the Appalachian range, the source of crystals would diminish, and lead to the farming lifestyle - back to plantation days in the colonies and early US.

I find myself drawing a Lord of the Rings-esque map in my head and overlaying it on top of a map of the eastern seaboard... Anyone good with Photoshop?
alkiera
Initiate

Post by alkiera »

Reading the story this way, one chapter at a time, with a long(ish) delay between them, is kinda weird.

Normally, when reading an emotional part of a book (like the last couple chapters in spirit walker) I push through them all at once, not stopping until a more 'comfortable' point. But reading these as they are released, is more like being a kid and having someone read chapters to you... you don't control when you have to stop, or the pacing of the story. So you get all emotionally entangled with the story, and then it stops for a few days/a week.

It's kinda weird.