Sennadar Forums v3

General announcements about the forum and its related services.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Spec8472
Weavespinner

Sennadar Forums v3

Post by Spec8472 »

I havn't worked on any of the upgrades promised for... quite a while, but the folks who write PHPbb (who write the forum software used here) have released PHPbb3.

I did a test conversion to PHPbb3 earlier today, and so far it looks good - it offers a number of built in improvements (most of which you probably won't notice) - but I'm keen to get some feedback on what you think of using the new verson.

Take a look at the test forums (your username/password is the same as here. Sorry - registration is disabled) and comment here.

The new forums would be under sennadar.com, where they should be.

http://forums-staging.sennadar.com/
Mistra
Katzh-dashi

Re: Sennadar Forums v3

Post by Mistra »

Looks ok i guess, i prefer the overal design of the current forum though, but I guess you still have some changes to make before you switch over. Anyway, if you need anything done and you don't find the time, i'm always up to help(i'm a PHPbb n00b, but i'm a quick study and i'm getting quite proficient at 3D-modeling and drawing :D).

btw: I've looked at your to-do list, but could you cross out the things that have already been done?[/u][/i]
Downdude
Katzh-dashi

Post by Downdude »

As long as everything works as good or better and you think it's worth the trouble, go for it. I tend to follow the don't fix it if it is not broke motto. The new look would go along with the new book series.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Mistra wrote:btw: I've looked at your to-do list, but could you cross out the things that have already been done?[/u][/i]
Yeah, the design is... different.

What to-do list are you looking at? The one over here: Sennadar.com Upgrades (2006/2007) hasn't had much done on it - certainly nothing 100% done.
Downdude wrote:As long as everything works as good or better and you think it's worth the trouble, go for it. I tend to follow the don't fix it if it is not broke motto. The new look would go along with the new book series.
The test migration took about 30 minutes, so I imagine I can do it quicker the second time.

The new forums offer a number of improvements - mainly anti-spam and maintenance stuff.
Downdude
Katzh-dashi

Post by Downdude »

Well if it's gonna make your job easier in the long run I think you should do it. It looks very similar just more rounded boxes and more polished looking buttons. Less spam is good and I'm sure being able to be even more lazy would be a good thing too. :)
Quindo Ma
Sorcerer

Post by Quindo Ma »

Really, the look is one of the least, but one of the most visible changes. I bet you it won't take long (if it hasn't already been done) for someone to make a SubSilver (a slightly modified version being in use here) template for the new forums for everyone that likes the look of it.

You really should look more at details other than where what image or picture is, or how it looks different, but more that how posting something, or managing your profile, or posting with code etc is. Most of that will turn out to be what will affect you as a user the most.
Changing the design is easy, usually done via switching around a template in the admin panel. It's the other things that matter.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Yeah "proSilver" is already there in RC1, so...
storyreader2005
Sorcerer

Post by storyreader2005 »

HTML code shows up in the Forum descriptions...

Code: Select all

General Discussion
Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here... <br>
<b>Please specifically mark all spoilers</b> 
instead of bold text or whatever.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

storyreader2005 wrote:HTML code shows up in the Forum descriptions...

Code: Select all

General Discussion
Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here... <br>
<b>Please specifically mark all spoilers</b> 
instead of bold text or whatever.
Yeah, apparently some brightspark designer decided that HTML wouldn't be permitted - only BBCode. (because, y'know - [ is so much easier to type than > on standard US-English layout keyboards).

I'm guessing someone will put up a mod that makes HTML work again.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

You might be noticing something... a little different. Yep, I've actually migrated over to PHPbb3 RC1 for the main site.
And the URLs have changed too.

I'll be fixing stuff up as I go through. Please flag any posts where there's HTML broken and I'll fix it.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

ok, it's like 4:15am, and time for me to hit the sack.

I've implemented the last-post stuff, and done some other...things. I havn't figured out the full-database search-and-replace for HTML, yet. I neeed a regex in an UPDATE Query I'm guessing. If anyone wants to knock that up for me, I'd appreciated it - using MySQL 4.1.x fwiw.

If you're not sure how to report a post - it's the exclamation mark.
Go ahead and report posts which look wonky.

Edit: Also, the logo I'm using at the moment is just temporary. Until someone else here gets annoyed with it and comes up with a better one! :)
Mistra
Katzh-dashi

Post by Mistra »

wel, i'm sure this new forum's a whole improvement and all, but is it possible to transfer the skin from the V2.0 version as an option here? the colours on this version's confusing.
Ymarsakar
Novice

Post by Ymarsakar »

My problem is that I prefer the V2 color scheme. This blue color scheme looks like too generic to me.
arargh
Katzh-dashi

Post by arargh »

I don't suppose you could just leave a copy of the old software as "oldforums.sennadar.com", maybe, huh?
If the database if the same.

Otherwise, except for checking for replys to this comment, I doubt that I will be back. Because:

I don't like the color scheme.
I don't like the changed layout.
I don't like the changed control flow.
. . .

I don't know why people have this irrestistable urge to take working software, and make it bigger, slower, cuter . . .

That's what happened to Windoze. It's now going downhill, since about Win98SE/Win2000, which are the latest versions that I would consider using.
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

It's interesting. I'm not sure if I like it yet or not... ;)