Question and Possibly Speculation on Walina (Book 1)

TStyle
Sorcerer

Question and Possibly Speculation on Walina (Book 1)

Post by TStyle »

I was rereading Tower of Sorcery when in Chapter 14 when I came across the part where Tarrin was reading Studies On Efficiently Spinning Weaves By: Walina.
Tower of Sorcery: Chapter 14 wrote:...She described the raw forces that the Sorcerer was working with when they were touching the Weave, and then went on to discuss techniques of weaving flows that expanded on simple spellcraft. Techniques like knotting a weave so it would sustain itself for a while without having to be maintained, and layering one so that a second weave would activate after the first unravelled...

...Knotting a weave made it draw on its own magic for a while, depending on the complexity of the weave and how well the knot was made. But even a knot only lasted a while before the weaves naturally untied themselves...

...Walina wrote that some suspected that the Sorcerer's inability to create permanent weaves was a check placed on their power, but she herself considered it simply a natural function of the Weave itself. Spells woven from the Weave were not natural, and flows pulled from strands always tried to return to them, which made weaves unravel. Tarrin had to agree with that.

It seemed pretty complicated, but Walina wrote that she firmly believed that if a Sorcerer understood how all types of magic worked, it would help him or her in dealing with the magic of the Weave. Tarrin wasn't so sure about that, but everything else he'd read so far seemed to make sense, so he'd take the author at her word.
I don't know if this little tidbit on knotting weaves was a continuity mistake on Fel's part because later in The Shadow Realm when Tarrin encounters the concept of spell knotting being used by the Sha'Kar it sounds as if it was a 'new' concept to Tarrin and Sorcerers in general. I don't remember reading about it anywhere from that point on until its resurface in The Shadow Realm.

If it wasn't a continuity mistake could Walina have possibly been Spider in disguise trying to help 'rediscover' some knowledge/skill for the rebudding Order for some reason? It has been known that Spider has aided Sorcerers in disguise before.

Just a though...
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Re: Question and Possibly Speculation on Walina (Book 1)

Post by michaelsuave »

Not a continuity mistake... Walina is not spider, and I believe the answer to this question is here...

http://sennadar.plebian.net/forum/viewt ... 1669#11669

Sorry, but I discussed both of your recent questions in one post, that being in regard to the lastest chapter...
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!