Who made the Firestaff? Why?

bbobb
Novice

Who made the Firestaff? Why?

Post by bbobb »

Perhaps, I haven't been paying close enough attention in my two times through the series, but I don't remember seeing an explanation of who made the Firestaff and why. I have to assume that something that powerful was created for a reason - who would go to all that trouble just because?

I'm pretty sure this is a failure of imagination on my part, but I can't fathom a reason why somebody would create it. It seems that somebody who would have the power to create it, i.e. a god, wouldn't really need it and would prefer that it didn't exist and anybody who might actually have a need for it, i.e. non-god, wouldn't be able to create it.

Could it be some sort of Entropic in the form of an object?

bbobb
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Re: Who made the Firestaff? Why?

Post by Spec8472 »

bbobb wrote:Perhaps, I haven't been paying close enough attention in my two times through the series, but I don't remember seeing an explanation of who made the Firestaff and why. I have to assume that something that powerful was created for a reason - who would go to all that trouble just because?
I was pretty sure it said somewhere in the Pyrosian Chronicles that it was created by the gods (not sure _why_, though - bored, perhaps?).
If memory serves correctly, it was during an explanation of the planes and operation of magic on those.

/me waits for Lochar to turn up...
sOmeone
Initiate

Post by sOmeone »

Spec8472 wrote:
bbobb wrote:Perhaps, I haven't been paying close enough attention in my two times through the series, but I don't remember seeing an explanation of who made the Firestaff and why. I have to assume that something that powerful was created for a reason - who would go to all that trouble just because?
I was pretty sure it said somewhere in the Pyrosian Chronicles that it was created by the gods (not sure _why_, though - bored, perhaps?).
If memory serves correctly, it was during an explanation of the planes and operation of magic on those.
Not Quite
here is an excerpt from a chat a while back
Oct 22 14:47:05 Lochar: Hey Fel, can I ask a question about the Firestaff and the GoG? Or do you want me to ask it privately, in case it's spoilers?
Oct 22 14:47:34 Fel: go for it
Oct 22 14:47:40 Fel: as in ask in here
Oct 22 14:47:53 Fel: because you're not gonna like the aaaannnnsswweeerrrrr...............
Oct 22 14:48:18 Lochar: The Firestaff. Created by the GoG as a test for Elder Gods as to how they would react to a mortal gaining powers outside their control, and a test to mortals to see how they would react to recieving such power.
Oct 22 14:49:08 Fel: The Firestaff: a product of Entropy, unleashed into the material planes as a test of man and god alike, and ultimately a tool to help bring about the destruction of all.
Spec8472 wrote: /me waits for Lochar to turn up...
Lol, I just did Lochar's job.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

sOmeone wrote:
Oct 22 14:47:05 Lochar: Hey Fel, can I ask a question about the Firestaff and the GoG? Or do you want me to ask it privately, in case it's spoilers?
Oct 22 14:47:34 Fel: go for it
Oct 22 14:47:40 Fel: as in ask in here
Oct 22 14:47:53 Fel: because you're not gonna like the aaaannnnsswweeerrrrr...............
Oct 22 14:48:18 Lochar: The Firestaff. Created by the GoG as a test for Elder Gods as to how they would react to a mortal gaining powers outside their control, and a test to mortals to see how they would react to recieving such power.
Oct 22 14:49:08 Fel: The Firestaff: a product of Entropy, unleashed into the material planes as a test of man and god alike, and ultimately a tool to help bring about the destruction of all.
Spec8472 wrote: /me waits for Lochar to turn up...
Lol, I just did Lochar's job.
Heh. Sorry, I was in class or I would have pulled up the same logs.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

yup, it was created by Entropy itself, which means that its indirect creator was the God of Gods, since it was spun from the balance that He maintains.

The purpose of the Firestaff is to destroy. That is its function. Specifically, its mission is to grant power to mortals that causes the destruction of material planes when the power consumes the mortal-turned-god and that agent causes the destruction. It's a test, a test of both mortals and gods. It's a test of mortals to reject the power it offers, and a test of gods to deal with that power when it is unleashed. You see, the Firestaff can never act directly to destroy, though it MAY act directly in certain narrow circumstances, such as responding to the call of one in whom it has already invested power, or one who has already been seduced by the power that it offers. That's how both Val and Tarrin have been able to tap power from the Firestaff.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Fel wrote:yup, it was created by Entropy itself, which means that its indirect creator was the God of Gods, since it was spun from the balance that He maintains.

The purpose of the Firestaff is to destroy. That is its function. Specifically, its mission is to grant power to mortals that causes the destruction of material planes when the power consumes the mortal-turned-god and that agent causes the destruction. It's a test, a test of both mortals and gods. It's a test of mortals to reject the power it offers, and a test of gods to deal with that power when it is unleashed. You see, the Firestaff can never act directly to destroy, though it MAY act directly in certain narrow circumstances, such as responding to the call of one in whom it has already invested power, or one who has already been seduced by the power that it offers. That's how both Val and Tarrin have been able to tap power from the Firestaff.
Hmmm, That open's up a bit, I wonder if With Tarrin knowing what he is now, could he take with with him when he leaves Sennadar after his fight with Spyder.... with that I do not think the One would stand a chance...
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

Well he did "try" and he couldn't. It was in the Other place, in the shaeram, but when he pass into Pyrosian it wasn't there any more. That is if I remember correctly. But the question is why?
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Tarrin didn't know what he was, or what the Firestaff truly was then. He didn't learn that until after Pyrosia.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

Fel,

If the Firestaff contains an "echo of creation" are there more powerful artifacts out there?

Should we be worried?

J-Man5

editied for spelling