Regeneration question

MommyDoom
Keeper of the Spoon of Doom

Regeneration question

Post by MommyDoom »

In re-reading Tower of Sorcery, I came across something. In chapter 11, where Tarrin fights the Wraith trapped in the Circle, Tarrin loses 2 fingers in the fight, which have regenerated by the time he wakes up. However, the Wraith was a magical creature. Doesn't that mean that Tarrin would have to heal normally from that? Why did the fingers regenerate?

MD
Blood begets more blood as dog begets dog.
Death generates death as the vulture breeds the vulture.
But the voice I heard today said, "Love your neighbor. Do good to those who despitefully use you".
- From the movie, "Ben Hur"
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Re: Regeneration question

Post by Shadowhawk »

He regenerated almost as fast from the wounds received in fight with Jesmind. And it was cold (unnatural, but cold) which made him lost the fingers.

I think that magical weapons (including magical creatures claws and teeth), unworked tools of nature (including fire and acid, and falls from large heights; physics in short) and silver weapons can kill Were-kin. For all killing blow is killing blow, but for all with exception of silver weapons regeneration still exist (provided there is fuel) if more or less slower than regeneration from ordinary weapons. And from silver Were-kin regenerate as humans (or animals).
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

Actually, according to Questing Game, chapter 9 "'We heal fast, Dolanna,' Triana told her. 'Even silver wounds heal faster than a human would heal from a similar injury. A wound like that would put a human in bed for a month. Tarrin should be out of it in ten days.'"

So, all in all, I think it's safe to say that Tarrin, and Were-Cats in general, are just tough specimens... :D

Fifer
MommyDoom
Keeper of the Spoon of Doom

Post by MommyDoom »

Maybe I'm getting confused because it took so long to recover from the silver crossbow bolt later on. Maybe silver hurts more than magical creatures? If Tarrin had a finger cut off by a silver knife, would it regenerate? Would it take a lot longer?

MD
Blood begets more blood as dog begets dog.
Death generates death as the vulture breeds the vulture.
But the voice I heard today said, "Love your neighbor. Do good to those who despitefully use you".
- From the movie, "Ben Hur"
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

I think another thing to remember about magical creatures is that Tarrin can be Healed from those. After the fight with the Wraith, Koran Dal healed him. After the crossbow incident, the Silver-nature of the wound prevented Dolanna from healing him. So maybe something in the silver acts as a block to magical healing?

Just my 2c.

Fifer
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

But Triana was able to use Druidic healing to give him the energy to live. But Druidic healing is just infusing the body with more energy and telling it to heal quicker. That's a natural function I guess, just quickened.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

I wonder if silver wounds (caused by silver or silvered weapons) can be healed by Priest magic.

By the way, weren't Mist scars which made her barren caused by wounds by silvered swords? Or were it magical weapons? Otherwise her were regeneration should heal them without the scars... unless the near burning taxied her regeneration to the point that wounds scarred... If that is the fact, then Sorcery healing can be used on wound done using silver(ed) weapon but only after it healed on its own (perhaps accelerated by infusion of energy using Druidic magic) somewhat.

By the way, on two accounts (Allia's shaeram, cutthoats silvered swords in the city of Tor) the silver burns Tarrin. I guess that is allergic like burning (there are some people who are allergic to contact with metal, silver included), but perhaps it is burning like contact with acid or something hot. I don't remember if it is consistent, or are those are exceptions to the rule.
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

How about looking at it from the viewpoint of another familiar superhero (I include Tarrin in the superhero category): Superman. Superman has an alergic reaction to Kryptonite. Different forms of Kryptonite bring about different reactions (Red, Green, Blue, Gold, Yellow, etc.). As Tarrin had a silver crossbow bolt in or near his heart it could have left residue that had to be healed in a much slower than normal manner for his abilities to not be impaired. Superman has to have time to recover from his Kryptonite poisoning so does Tarrin with silver poisoning. While the crossbow bolt was removed there is always some residue of substances left behind.

In the case where he was just touching it and it wasn't within his system then his body removed the affected cells (skin/fur) so that he healed "faster". As the silver was inside him with the crossbow bolt this period took longer. It may be that silver is a natural block to magics on Sennadar like lead and or other heavy metals are to radiation.

Makes me wonder if someone could build a room that would block the weave on Sennadar by using a thick enough layer of silver.

J-Man5
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

I don't think that silver blocks magic on Sennadar, because Allia's Shaeram is made out of silver. As Shadowhawk mentioned, it burned Tarrin, but there are weaves inside the medalian which allow communication, to understand Tarrin's cat form, etc. So I don't think that Silver blocks magic.

Fifer
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

Fiferguy wrote:I don't think that silver blocks magic on Sennadar, because Allia's Shaeram is made out of silver.
Questing Game, chapter 27: "She [Allia] nodded, grabbing her ivory amulet immediately."

But that might be an error.
Journeywoman
Sui'Kun

Post by Journeywoman »

Shadowhawk wrote:
Fiferguy wrote:I don't think that silver blocks magic on Sennadar, because Allia's Shaeram is made out of silver.
Questing Game, chapter 27: "She [Allia] nodded, grabbing her ivory amulet immediately."

But that might be an error.
Wasn't it Kerri that had the silver one?
Abandon the search for truth; settle for good fantasy!
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

My mistake.

"She laughed delightedly. Look at my statue, kitten, she ordered, and he raised his head and did so. Around the nude figure's neck was a shaeram, one that looked like it was made of silver. You see the shaeram? I want you to take it and give it to Keritanima. It's for her, just as your amulet was for you and the ivory shaeram was for Allia."

So it was Kerri's amulet that was Silver, not Allia. My bad. :wink: But the original argument remains, I don't think that silver blocks magic, just that silver hurts Werekin more severely than a normal, non-magical or silver weapon.

Fifer
centcom
Novice

Post by centcom »

Silver weapon damage on Tarrin: he was hit just besides his heart and healing him would be more then his system could manage(it cost the hurt person also energy... )
Silver weapon damage on Mist: Mist was already healed but had scar tissue obstructing her reproduction system. and that is was Tarrin fixed.

Silver weapons don't do permanent damage but it takes a lot longer to regenerate. Put a crossbow bolt in a human and on the same spot and he will be in bed much longer (if he survives at all that is) then a Were-cat.
Uhmmm, i think, lol