Contradiction between first and last books

MommyDoom
Keeper of the Spoon of Doom

Contradiction between first and last books

Post by MommyDoom »

I just have a question.  In chapter 7 of The Tower of Sorcery we have Tarrin just arriving at the Tower and taking his first bath in the bathing pool:
"I'm not human, Mistress Elsa," he reminded her gently.  "My idea of modesty isn't the same as yours."

"Point taken," she acceded.  "Is there anything else I should know?  Anything special you'll need?"

"No," he replied.  "I don't need anything special, ma'am.  My blood is dangerous to humans, but let me be the one to worry about that problem."
... and then he goes on to play in the baths with Dar
    Dar answered that by splashing water at him.  Tarrin retaliated by snaking his long tail around the boy's ankle, and then yanking.  Tarrin's tail was by no means as stong as the rest of his body, but it was strong enough.  Dar disappeared under the water with shocking speed, and then came up spluttering.  "Cheater," he accused after spitting out a mouthful of water.

"Oh, did my tail catch on your leg?  I'm so sorry," Tarrin said with false sincerity.  "Let me help you up."

In chapter 1 of Weavespinner, after Tarrin has been turned human, he and Kimmie take a bath and Triana storms in, PISSED.
"That's not what I mean!" she snapped, which made Kimmie flinch. "Foolish cub, you're a Were-cat! You just got in a pool with a human, and you unloaded the trees know how much spit into that water! Thank the furies it's a big enough pool!"

Kimmie suddenly paled, looking at Triana in sincere chagrin. "I never even considered--I'm sorry!" she said quickly. "I won't do it again, I promise!"

"I don't understand, mother," Tarrin said.

"She could have infected you," she told him gruffly. "Spit can do it, and it only takes a drop of it in your eyes or going up your nose with the rest of the water. The pool is big enough to where it diluted it down to the point where it was harmless. If that had been a smaller pool, though, you may have been turned again. Not that I wouldn't have been happy to see it, but we're going to play this by Dolanna's rules for now. That means we keep you human so that mad Wizard has a chance to find a cure for your amnesia. Don't get back in that pool until I have a chance to purge it, Tarrin. Now dry off and get dressed, both of you."

My question is, why didn't Tarrin show this kind of caution when playing in the baths with Dar?  Should he even have been bathing with the other humans at ALL in the tower?

MD
Blood begets more blood as dog begets dog.
Death generates death as the vulture breeds the vulture.
But the voice I heard today said, "Love your neighbor. Do good to those who despitefully use you".
- From the movie, "Ben Hur"
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Re: Contradiction between first and last books

Post by Lochar »

The water in the bathing pool in the Tower was constantly being recycled through, so it was greatly diluted. Had it been stagnant water, they would have had to change it after every couple of bathes that Tarrin took.  The tub on Sha'Kari wasn't recycing water, so that's why Triana was so mad probably.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

The bathing pool in the Tower is immense.  It's larger than an olympic sized swimming pool.  Tarrin's blood or spittle dropped into that pool would be totally harmless, because of the sheer size of it.

The bath that Tarrin and Kimmie was in was much smaller.

Then there was that issue of possible close contact between Kimmie and Tarrin that wouldn't exist between Tarrin and Dar....  ;)
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
mbeau
Sorcerer

Post by mbeau »

Also, in the first instance, Tarrin probably doesn't realize just how careful he has to be...
MommyDoom
Keeper of the Spoon of Doom

Post by MommyDoom »

fel wrote:The bathing pool in the Tower is immense. It's larger than an olympic sized swimming pool. Tarrin's blood or spittle dropped into that pool would be totally harmless, because of the sheer size of it.

The bath that Tarrin and Kimmie was in was much smaller.

Then there was that issue of possible close contact between Kimmie and Tarrin that wouldn't exist between Tarrin and Dar.... ;)

FEL!  FEL BUDDY! I've missed you!  Hope school is doing well and you aren't working too hard.  Glad you at least found time to swim to the surface in order to answer my silly question.  Keep up the good work, dear and let's see all A's this semester!

[end mommy mode  :)]

MD

Blood begets more blood as dog begets dog.
Death generates death as the vulture breeds the vulture.
But the voice I heard today said, "Love your neighbor. Do good to those who despitefully use you".
- From the movie, "Ben Hur"
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Things have calmed down a little.  ;)

I've managed to get about 11 pages done of chapter 10 as well, so I hope to release a chapter sometime.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Ah, it's good to see you again Fel. I was starting to get worried. YOu don't post in the Forum, and you don't use the IRC channel. And dX wasn't really helping either, what with the topic he set...
* Topic is 'http://www.sennadar.com - Beware the evil || I killed Fel last weekend. He's not going to get on.'
[04:48] * dX changes topic to 'http://www.sennadar.com - Beware the evil || I killed Fel last weekend. He's not going to get on.'
[04:48] <dX> ^_^
[04:49] <eccentric> get on..lol
[04:49] <dX> I mean he did ask me to kill him.
[04:49] <eccentric> yeah I remembered that
[04:50] <dX> so of course I had to do him a favor.
[04:51] <eccentric> but of course
[04:53] <dX> But I have his passwords and all that, and so I guess I have to finish up the books...whenever I find the time.
[04:54] <eccentric> hush...you werent supposed to let them know that there is no "Fel" and that we made him up
[04:56] <dX> Ahh well, we can or will kill them if they actually believe us.
[04:56] <dX> Besides, who'd suspect me, Grey, and you wrote the story?
[04:57] <eccentric> especially when Grey like to give hints
[04:57] <dX> I know.
[04:58] <eccentric> they dont know those hints are planned to distract them
[04:59] <dX> nor do they know we finished the books either...
[05:00] <dX> we just like them being tortured.
[05:00] <eccentric> yeah dragging the release of each chapter
[05:01] <dX> the more they complain and ask, the slower we are in posting each chapter
[05:03] <eccentric> and surprise them with chspters when they least expected
[05:04] <Greymist> heh, those "conversations" I had with Fel, they were really me using two clients and brain storming
[05:04] <Greymist> taking a different personality for both to come up with ideas
[05:04] <Greymist> they'll never know :o
[05:05] <dX> you gotta love how foolish humans are
[05:05] <eccentric> we created Fel
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.