Riddle me that...

Mark_Reed
Katzh-dashi

Riddle me that...

Post by Mark_Reed »

(I know, I seem to have a thing for the Riddler. I have no idea why.)

When Tarrin receives the collected memory of the weave, he learns every weave ever woven by a sorcerer. That would include mind weaves as well, and since there have been countless Sha'Kar and human sorcerers, wouldn't that make Tarrin an expert in mind weaves for those two races? He may not know how their minds work, but if he remembers how to weave to get a certain effect, he doesn't have to know anything else (although that knowledge in itself should be all he needs to figure out how a human and Sha'Kar mind works).
Mark_Reed
Katzh-dashi

Re: Riddle me that...

Post by Mark_Reed »

Another one:

Honor and Blood, chapter 31
"It's all there, young one," Spyder told her.  "All of it.  You will write that down, Jenna," she ordered. "You will pen it in your own hand, in your own way, and then share it with the others."
"I--yes, I will," she said, looking in his direction, but he could tell her eyes were distant.  "It's sad, really.  All that beauty, gone.  Why didn't we see it coming?"
"Think, child."
"We were naive," she realized.  "We believed everyone would think and act as we did.  We thought everyone understood.  But we were wrong."
This indicates that Jenna received every bit of knowledge Spyder knew about the history of the Katzh-dashi. Does that include what happened to the sorcerers in the Tower of Suld who dissappeared in the Breaking? Also, did Jenna learn the location of Shakari? After all, Spyder helped opened the path to Shakari in person, so she knew where the island was and what barriers stood before it.

(Same chapter)
... "They're all probably waiting for us," he replied.  "Jenna, when she taught you Sha'Kar, did she teach you the written form of the language?"
Jenna seemed to look inward for a moment.  "No," she replied.  "Why do you ask?"
"I was hoping that we could cheat a bit, but it looks like the Goddess isn't going to let me do it this time," he grunted.
I found an answer to one of my own questions. Jenna wouldn't know about Shakari, either. But I'm still curious if she knows what happened to the sorcerers.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

mark_reed wrote:(I know, I seem to have a thing for the Riddler. I have no idea why.)

When Tarrin receives the collected memory of the weave, he learns every weave ever woven by a sorcerer. That would include mind weaves as well, and since there have been countless Sha'Kar and human sorcerers, wouldn't that make Tarrin an expert in mind weaves for those two races? He may not know how their minds work, but if he remembers how to weave to get a certain effect, he doesn't have to know anything else (although that knowledge in itself should be all he needs to figure out how a human and Sha'Kar mind works).

Evolution would have killed that one probably.  And remember, knowledge does not mean skill.  Even if evolution doesn't cancel out his knowledge of mind weaves, he's still gonna have to take pratice pot shots at peoples minds until he's used to the knowledge.

Remember, even with all those spells, he and Jenna had to work with them to figure out exactly how to best use them.  The spells he got from the weaves were, in a term, basic patterns.  He had to learn how to weave them for best effect.

Hey, that was a good term, considering. LOL
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Not to mention that no two minds work the same. One have to be the same species, or understand a species very well to do anything basic to the mind. To understand and affect a mind on deeper levels require a great deal of understanding. Even if he had a perfect weave copied, he wouldn't be able to use it on anyone other then the one it was created for, at the same time it was created. No modifications would work.
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.